National News London Bridge

Colin B

Chief Dot Counter
Don't normally post on these sort of things, but I've been watching live footage of this incident since it started, and I have to say hats off to the members of the public that waded in and overpowered the knifeman. Heroes every one of them.

This is what being British stands for, we will not be beaten by cowardly terrorists!

Don't normally post on these sort of things, but I've been watching live footage of this incident since it started, and I have to say hats off to the members of the public that waded in and overpowered the knifeman. Heroes every one of them.

This is what being British stands for, we will not be beaten by cowardly terrorists!

Indeed very brave especially as the attacker was apparently wearing a fake bomb vest, not that they would have known it was fake at the time..

I’ve always thought that its a shame that the terrorists don't get lynched. that would be a great deterrent

Seeing the video, those tackling him weren't holding back when disarming him of the knife understandably but it wasn't over the top. This is based on YouTube videos from a couple of buses.

I'm not into capital punishment though as part of a justice system as it is just retribution imo, it isn't a deterrent* at all. Plus, it plays into their martyrs narrative. Better to let them rot in a maximum security prison.

*The death penalty isn't a deterrent in the US for instance.

Last edited:
I’ve always thought that its a shame that the terrorists don't get lynched. that would be a great deterrent

Sorry, I think otherwise.

Not through any liberal compassion, just that death is not a deterrent to those prepared to die for their cause.

Plus keeping people in custody has been known to lead to intelligence/clues/hints of associates or other terrorists.

Also I wouldn’t want to live in a society which openly lynches people. Not a good message to send to children; violence just begets more violence. I think we’re past that on the whole.

Precisely. It would be no deterrent at all. We don't know who the attacker was yet. If he was an Islamic fundamentalist he'd probably be looking forward to his rewards in the afterlife. If he was a random nutter - possibly with mental health problems - then the ramifications of his actions were unlikely to have been at the forefront of his mind.
Precisely. It would be no deterrent at all. We don't know who the attacker was yet. If he was an Islamic fundamentalist he'd probably be looking forward to his rewards in the afterlife. If he was a random nutter - possibly with mental health problems - then the ramifications of his actions were unlikely to have been at the forefront of his mind.
The old ' mental health' excuse is wearing a little thin

What do you mean „the old mental health excuse“

Are you saying that people don’t ever have violent delusions which might cause them to attack strangers without being in full command of their faculties ?

Are you a psychiatrist or mental health professional? Or are you talking out of your a**e?

What do you mean „the old mental health excuse“

Are you saying that people don’t ever have violent delusions which might cause them to attack strangers without being in full command of their faculties ?

Are you a psychiatrist or mental health professional? Or are you talking out of your a**e?
Its just quite suprising how many random mental health sufferers have recently started shouting ala akbar and stabbing/ running over etc non believers . Hard to stomach but seems like an excuse to not confront a real danger in our Country.

If innocent people under attack in this situation have to kill the attackers then so be it, better than one decent, innocent persons life being lost. Fair play to those who did it today, they are levels above the cowards who stand their filming it on their phones.

Evidence? How many Islamic terrorists killed in the course if their attacks have subsequently been diagnosed as having had mental health issues? None that I can remember. No-one's making excuses.
I just think its said to deflect away from a difficult subject but which we should be open about for all of the peaceful, law abiding citizens of this country.

You're not making any sense. Who's deflecting away from a difficult subject? Fact is, the attacker could have had any number of reasons for doing what he did, or no logical reason at all. IF the attacker had mental health issues that would be a fact, not a distraction or excuse of any sort.

We all realise that whoever the attacker was he wasn't a 'peaceful, law abiding citizen'. What we don't know is who he was and what his motive was.
Bet you he had been down the mosque recently , like the guy in the hague now . Or the previous London bridge attack ...or any number of attacks across Europe but the same inspired religious zealots ....

Quite possibly he was an Islamic extremist. No-one's disputing that. But what if he was someone with mental health issues? Would you still see that as an 'excuse' rather than a fact?
No I wouldn't,
Quite possibly he was an Islamic extremist. No-one's disputing that. But what if he was someone with mental health issues? Would you still see that as an 'excuse' rather than a fact?
No , in the unlikely event a mental health sufferer ( they are much more likely to harm theirselves) done this then of course not.

Moving away from the random xenophobic outburst going on on this thread.
Disgusting fake news is also being spread about this too.

Maybe this should be in the GE thread but my God how low some people will stoop.
More offended by a very pathetic tweet than innocent people being attacked. ? I agree its very low and disgusting whoever made that though.

More offended by a very pathetic tweet than innocent people being attacked. ? I agree its very low and disgusting whoever made that though.

You're right in the fact maybe I should have at least addressed the content on the thread & praised the bravery of the police and the civilians who put their lives on the line to stop someone from terrorising the people of London.

I stand by my view that trying to categorise all forms of terrorism as the efforts of religious extremism is wrong and a reflection of religious discrimination (previously I said xenophobia which is actually incorrect).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom