National News London Bridge

My take on it he was a convert (unusually Muslim to Christian) had mental health issues and attended that BLM march......THAT was the catalyst to these horrendous murders......BLM is and WAS part of it .........

My take on it he was a convert (unusually Muslim to Christian) had mental health issues and attended that BLM march......THAT was the catalyst to these horrendous murders......BLM is and WAS part of it .........
Your take on it is ignorant and wrong!! Sad really

Read this on the ether and it is very,very true and tragically sad in equal measure.

"James Furlong, 36, taught history in a girls school.
Stabbed to death (alongside two others) for no reason at all.
There won't be a minutes silence in Parliament for him.
No footballers will take a pre-match knee or have some trite slogan printed on their shirts because he is dead.
The BBC won't live stream his funeral.
This time next month you probably won't remember his name.
He was a normal British citizen like you and me.
He never robbed anyone.
He never served a prison sentence.
He wasn't a drug addict.
He was just a teacher."

My work had a minutes silence for the victims of the stabbings.

The complete pish that there should be positive discrimination should be scrapped, if you are good enough for the job you`ll get it. That is parity and fairness.
When you’ve worked out how to actually achieve that, please let everyone know, because it hasn’t happened anywhere yet.
Even the definition of what is considered “good” for a job is often biased.

No it hasnt............take your blinkers off,thats all we ask.
When the news was breaking it was widely reported that the murders were at a BLM march as the press put two and two together.
The police had to release statements confirming that it wasn't in order to stop the spread of misinformation.

What we have seen in the US is trial by media whereas in the UK we rarely release evidence to the press until after conviction.
I'm not sure why you are so desperate for more civil unrest.
Let's not jump to conclusions about the motive.

When you’ve worked out how to actually achieve that, please let everyone know, because it hasn’t happened anywhere yet.
Even the definition of what is considered “good” for a job is often biased.

Yes it has.
Our job applications have all the personal info filtered before selection.
We don`t know if the candidate is male/female/other, their age, their ethnicity we only work on the application provided.
Ergo, if they match the person specification they get an interview and, if they perform well enough at interview, they get the job.
The career path from then on is in their hands as everyone gets the same opportunity.

Yes it has.
We don`t know if the candidate is male/female/other, their age, their ethnicity we only work on the application provided.
Ergo, if they match the person specification they get an interview and, if they perform well enough at interview, they get the job.
The career path from then on is in their hands as everyone gets the same opportunity.

That’s a good start, but the problem is when it comes to a face to face interview a persons bias, conscious or unconscious, can affect things. I’m not sure if there’s a better way to do things, I’m just saying.

Yes it has.

Likewise EY but then I think we work in similar areas which are quite progressive in this regard.

I was at a work forum several months ago and our HR Director showed a study where a set of fabricated job applications were sent in to a number of companies. Where these were anonymous, the fabricated applicants received almost the same number of interviews. However, where the job applications were not anonymised, 'Michael' and 'Sarah' got four times the number of interviews than 'Mohammed' and 'Jamila'.

I'm afraid I don't have a link to the study but I do recall it was a substantial sample to avoid the risk of erroneous results. This told me that regardless of what we might like to think, there is still a lot of unconscious bias out there.

I also wonder if this unconscious bias occurs at interview where applications are anonymised - logic based on the study results suggests it would.

Thought provoking article on the media’s reporting of the attack in Reading.

There has definitely been a weird way in which this has been reported where the victims sexuality, and the probably motive, are only hinted at.

The speed in which this was declared a terrorist incident was knee jerk and a way to buy additional time and resources for the police. Now may well have been an act of terrorism (the unlawful use of violence or intimidation in the pursuit of political aims), but not religious or national terrorism as we have known.

The individual involved was known to have significant mental health issues. He was also a heavy drug user, including synthetic psychoactive substances. Combined these can lead to hugely unpredictable, and often violent actions. He was from Libya which has a less tolerant view on homosexuality, and had felt persecuted by their regime. There is a theory that he may have been gay or struggling to come to terms with his own sexuality, or he may have lashed out because of the sexuality of his victims. This may never be known, however it is a significant issue and warrants appropriate investigation.

And for those who demand to know how I know any of this, the individual was released from HMP Bullingdon only a couple of weeks ago. His mental health, substance use and behaviour were known, recorded and past on to the relevant authorities. He was under the care of mental health teams in the community and under supervision from probation services. However, the escalation in his offending was not predicted and almost certainly not preventable.

However, the escalation in his offending was not predicted and almost certainly not preventable.

Had he been deported after his first sentence then it would have been eminently preventable.
Anyone who chooses to come to this country and is allowed to stay should be under the clear understanding that if you commit a crime that merits a custodial sentence then your bridges here are burnt and you are going back from whence you came.
It would resolve a lot of issues.

Vote for me. :)

Looks like there’s been fatalities from a stabbing spree in Glasgow with a man ‘of African descent’ being arrested according to BBC News. ?

Back
Top Bottom