Live music post-covid

I very much hope that’s the case. Let’s just spend the next 12 months hammering the hell out of it and try to get back to normal in 2022, is where I’m at.

Not sure if you’ve heard of it but there’s a festival here in the UK called Slam Dunk that is usually in late May. They’ve moved it to early September and are being seriously bullish about how it’s happening at any cost. Two sites, Leeds and Hatfield, Saturday and Sunday. Around 20,000 people a pop. They’re absolutely adamant that they are going ahead with it. I know the guy who owns the SD brand and promotes it all and last I heard he’s just not having the idea that it isn’t going to take place. They’re speaking in absolutes quite often on social media as they’re obviously getting asked a lot about what’s going on.

Going to be interesting to see on that front. WWE just had 25,000 people in a stadium for Wrestlemania on two consecutive days. Are outdoor events around that size going to be used as the dummy runs?
Am sure everyone is keeping a huge eye on developments in the US. It's one thing having a full cricket ground in zero-COVID New Zealand as seen a couple of months back, but having completely full stadiums in America, where COVID is still raging, is something else entirely.

Then you have the festival dynamic. A stadium experience in and of itself is controllable, as we have seen many times. But a festival? Travel in packed transport with strangers, queue in line for everything, tent villages, stage diving, moshing, exchanging fluids with members of your preferred sex all hours of the day. And that's before we even get to the hygiene aspect?

As I say, it depends on the concept. It has to be enjoyable as well as being safe.

Am sure everyone is keeping a huge eye on developments in the US. It's one thing having a full cricket ground in zero-COVID New Zealand as seen a couple of months back, but having completely full stadiums in America, where COVID is still raging, is something else entirely.

Then you have the festival dynamic. A stadium experience in and of itself is controllable, as we have seen many times. But a festival? Travel in packed transport with strangers, queue in line for everything, tent villages, stage diving, moshing, exchanging fluids with members of your preferred sex all hours of the day. And that's before we even get to the hygiene aspect?

As I say, it depends on the concept. It has to be enjoyable as well as being safe.
i sure as hell miss the festival experience. Reading late 70s early 80s. Its like glamping nowadays compared to back then

In the meantime, Truck is “confirmed” and also immediately sold out, even before any acts announced. And that’s July 23. I’ll have had both jabs by then, so I’ve bagged me a ticket.

Not a chance in hell it will go ahead though.

In the meantime, Truck is “confirmed” and also immediately sold out, even before any acts announced. And that’s July 23. I’ll have had both jabs by then, so I’ve bagged me a ticket.

Not a chance in hell it will go ahead though.
Truck-Line-Up_1080x1350.png

I can’t see it. But I also have to second guess everything because:

1) The UK government is insane and could very well tell people to go and fill their boots, as they’ve done previously, when all logic and facts tell you that it’s a catastrophe in waiting. Giving people discounts to go and mix en masse in restaurants last summer, for example. After that all bets are off.

2) Live Nation.

It’s the 1% chance that gets me, because at some point the urge for good news is going to get the better of the powers that be again and they’re going to allow something mad to take place. Fingers crossed it isn’t something like a music festival.
Oh dear.

Also, I said about Live Nation being at the front of any guinea pig events. This test event with 5,000 people who don’t even need to wear masks is being put on by Festival Republic.

Hands up who can guess owns them.

Last edited:
Oh dear.

Also, I said about Live Nation being at the front of any guinea pig events. This test event with 5,000 people who don’t even need to wear masks is being put on by Festival Republic.

Hands up who can guess owns them.

Charlie Methven?

Huge car boot sale on Abingdon Airfield as I drove past this morning, no doubt all fondling each other’s tat.

Hope so, Shedcember is coming to Oxford this year, fingers crossed 🤞

2000 Trees (awesome festival out Cheltenham way) was optimistically going ahead for July 8-10. Now postponed.

Interesting reasoning they’ve given:

- It has become clear that, due to the ongoing COVID pandemic, bands based outside of the UK will not be able to travel to 2000trees in 2021

- Bands dropping out is one thing, but to make matters worse, the UK Government have repeatedly refused to provide any COVID cancellation insurance for the live events industry. Hundreds of festivals have been asking for months for a Government backed insurance policy allowing us to confidently host events this year. We were hopeful that this insurance would be in place by now. Although they’ve provided a similar scheme for film & TV, the Government have completely let the live music industry down by refusing to back a simple insurance policy.

Expecting similar from Truck very shortly.

2000 Trees (awesome festival out Cheltenham way) was optimistically going ahead for July 8-10. Now postponed.

Interesting reasoning they’ve given:

- It has become clear that, due to the ongoing COVID pandemic, bands based outside of the UK will not be able to travel to 2000trees in 2021

- Bands dropping out is one thing, but to make matters worse, the UK Government have repeatedly refused to provide any COVID cancellation insurance for the live events industry. Hundreds of festivals have been asking for months for a Government backed insurance policy allowing us to confidently host events this year. We were hopeful that this insurance would be in place by now. Although they’ve provided a similar scheme for film & TV, the Government have completely let the live music industry down by refusing to back a simple insurance policy.

Expecting similar from Truck very shortly.

The progress on the government backed insurance scheme seems to follow the progress on the touring visa/carnet scheme - not something that is moving due to political dogma.

Back
Top Bottom