Live music post-covid

Rock music shouldn't be about worrying where you're going to have a wee.

The world's gone soft.

Excellent news.

It is indeed. But not necessarily the end of the story. I fully expect a new application in 6 months time that attempts to address some of the failings in this one. I did like the bit about the “poor quality of accommodation proposed” though!

It is indeed. But not necessarily the end of the story. I fully expect a new application in 6 months time that attempts to address some of the failings in this one. I did like the bit about the “poor quality of accommodation proposed” though!
The owner is developing properties either side of the Sheaf ...this has almost definately not run its course yet :rolleyes: :oops::(

The owner is developing properties either side of the Sheaf ...this has almost definately not run its course yet :rolleyes: :oops::(
True but hopefully those who don't want this have now been warned and can plan a co-ordinated response for when a new planning application is released.

One for you @SteMerritt since you’re particularly interested in the state of play.

Spoke to a member of a pretty famous band I’m currently doing a project with an hour ago - they’re Brixton level in every country in terms of crowd sizes - and they have ZERO touring or live plans for 2021. Nothing what so ever. They told me that their booking agents in both the US and Europe have basically gone, “Why bother? The dates will only get postponed to 2022. Let’s just wait until we’re at least pretty sure that we can put something on sale that has a shot at going ahead.” They also said that they’re watching bands they know putting tours on sale on both sides of the Atlantic for the end of the year, and everyone involved is openly saying, “We know we aren’t playing those shows.”

That’s merely their take and their circumstances. They’re American. Will be speaking to a British based band I’m also working on something with in a few days, so I’ll see what they’re being told presently by comparison. Good to get updates as regularly as possible since everything is always changing.

One for you @SteMerritt since you’re particularly interested in the state of play.

Spoke to a member of a pretty famous band I’m currently doing a project with an hour ago - they’re Brixton level in every country in terms of crowd sizes - and they have ZERO touring or live plans for 2021. Nothing what so ever. They told me that their booking agents in both the US and Europe have basically gone, “Why bother? The dates will only get postponed to 2022. Let’s just wait until we’re at least pretty sure that we can put something on sale that has a shot at going ahead.” They also said that they’re watching bands they know putting tours on sale on both sides of the Atlantic for the end of the year, and everyone involved is openly saying, “We know we aren’t playing those shows.”

That’s merely their take and their circumstances. They’re American. Will be speaking to a British based band I’m also working on something with in a few days, so I’ll see what they’re being told presently by comparison. Good to get updates as regularly as possible since everything is always changing.
Thanks mate, appreciated as always.

I've started seeing September shows shunted to April next year as you suggested they would so not holding out much hope for mine this year. Strangely October Drift have just announced a 'socially distant' tour for May. Not sure what that entails, but I won't be dipping my toe in despite really wanting to catch them...

SmartSelect_20210414-074402_Facebook.jpg

I've started seeing September shows shunted to April next year as you suggested they would so not holding out much hope for mine this year. Strangely October Drift have just announced a 'socially distant' tour for May. Not sure what that entails, but I won't be dipping my toe in despite really wanting to catch them...

View attachment 6110
I’m guessing this is one of those deals where they put tables out and spread them around the room a few feet apart, and you have to essentially sit down at all times and not move unless you put your hand up, so that a member of staff can walk you to the bogs when it’s clear? Like being in a bloody school exam.

I saw a month or so ago that Reading & Leeds basically went “we’re going ahead!” and all tickets sold out instantly. I don’t remember the last time every ticket for every day of both events sold out. I’m not even sure that’s happened before. 80,000 people per day in August? Yeah... not sure on that one. It might be outside but that’s a lot of people, and many thousands will be standing shoulder to shoulder down the front and sweating all over each other. Plus they’ll all be using the same cesspit toilets, bars, catering vans etc. We’ve all seen the footage lately of young people in parks up and down the country going bananas and taking liberties. Now imagine a field (or rather two fields) with the equivalent of a packed Wembley Stadium in them, off their faces and doing whatever they like. Yes, anyone over 18 should have had their first shot by August, but it feels like asking for trouble...

I’m guessing this is one of those deals where they put tables out and spread them around the room a few feet apart, and you have to essentially sit down at all times and not move unless you put your hand up, so that a member of staff can walk you to the bogs when it’s clear? Like being in a bloody school exam.

I saw a month or so ago that Reading & Leeds basically went “we’re going ahead!” and all tickets sold out instantly. I don’t remember the last time every ticket for every day of both events sold out. I’m not even sure that’s happened before. 80,000 people per day in August? Yeah... not sure on that one. It might be outside but that’s a lot of people, and many thousands will be standing shoulder to shoulder down the front and sweating all over each other. Plus they’ll all be using the same cesspit toilets, bars, catering vans etc. We’ve all seen the footage lately of young people in parks up and down the country going bananas and taking liberties. Now imagine a field (or rather two fields) with the equivalent of a packed Wembley Stadium in them, off their faces and doing whatever they like. Yes, anyone over 18 should have had their first shot by August, but it feels like asking for trouble...
You have mates in the industry, so do I. Unless there is some radical solution on the horizon regarding distancing or passports and the like, Leeds and Reading will not go ahead, not a chance.

You have mates in the industry, so do I. Unless there is some radical solution on the horizon regarding distancing or passports and the like, Leeds and Reading will not go ahead, not a chance.
I can’t see it. But I also have to second guess everything because:

1) The UK government is insane and could very well tell people to go and fill their boots, as they’ve done previously, when all logic and facts tell you that it’s a catastrophe in waiting. Giving people discounts to go and mix en masse in restaurants last summer, for example. After that all bets are off.

2) Live Nation.

It’s the 1% chance that gets me, because at some point the urge for good news is going to get the better of the powers that be again and they’re going to allow something mad to take place. Fingers crossed it isn’t something like a music festival.

View attachment 6110
I don't know about the other venues but I've been to Thekla and unless they're restricting it to about a dozen people there's no way that place could hold a socially distanced gig.

I don't know about the other venues but I've been to Thekla and unless they're restricting it to about a dozen people there's no way that place could hold a socially distanced gig.
The Castle and Falcon in Birmingham holds a couple of hundred or so in normal times, so socially distanced what are you looking at, around 40 or so? Hardly seems worth opening the venue for. And isn't there a limit of 30 for 'gatherings'?

I can’t see it. But I also have to second guess everything because:

1) The UK government is insane and could very well tell people to go and fill their boots, as they’ve done previously, when all logic and facts tell you that it’s a catastrophe in waiting. Giving people discounts to go and mix en masse in restaurants last summer, for example. After that all bets are off.

2) Live Nation.

It’s the 1% chance that gets me, because at some point the urge for good news is going to get the better of the powers that be again and they’re going to allow something mad to take place. Fingers crossed it isn’t something like a music festival.

What was weird was last month when seven German and Swiss festivals got cancelled in one day on March 10, including Hurricane, Deichbrand, Rock am Ring, Rock im Park and Southside. This was in a period of no real dramatic corona changes or legislation and came quite out of nowhere. Other festivals towards the end of the summer and/or ran by different companies are still planned. This makes me think either that Eventim (organisers of the cancelled festivals) were tipped off from somewhere or that the others have some sort of bulletproof concept that will go through.

Still won't be any major festivals this year though, my opinion.

What was weird was last month when seven German and Swiss festivals got cancelled in one day on March 10, including Hurricane, Deichbrand, Rock am Ring, Rock im Park and Southside. This was in a period of no real dramatic corona changes or legislation and came quite out of nowhere. Other festivals towards the end of the summer and/or ran by different companies are still planned. This makes me think either that Eventim (organisers of the cancelled festivals) were tipped off from somewhere or that the others have some sort of bulletproof concept that will go through.

Still won't be any major festivals this year though, my opinion.
I very much hope that’s the case. Let’s just spend the next 12 months hammering the hell out of it and try to get back to normal in 2022, is where I’m at.

Not sure if you’ve heard of it but there’s a festival here in the UK called Slam Dunk that is usually in late May. They’ve moved it to early September and are being seriously bullish about how it’s happening at any cost. Two sites, Leeds and Hatfield, Saturday and Sunday. Around 20,000 people a pop. They’re absolutely adamant that they are going ahead with it. I know the guy who owns the SD brand and promotes it all and last I heard he’s just not having the idea that it isn’t going to take place. They’re speaking in absolutes quite often on social media as they’re obviously getting asked a lot about what’s going on.

Going to be interesting to see on that front. WWE just had 25,000 people in a stadium for Wrestlemania on two consecutive days. Are outdoor events around that size going to be used as the dummy runs?

Back
Top Bottom