Live music post-covid

Zoom being essentially an app, it makes sense that there are limitations on numbers, but Vimeo being a website and video hosting destination could mean that traffic isn’t an issue. It’s probably worth a look at least. You certainly used to be able to stream through it...
Zoom isn’t designed for streaming which is quite a different thing to interactive conferencing - different compromises are made. YouTube and Vimeo can work because they are optimised to get the audio and video in sync on millions of screens with as few glitches

There is a positively mental email doing the rounds from one of the biggest music promoters in the country regarding a system he has devised to get gigs going again. When I say he’s devised it, he’s basically written it out on an iPad while taking a dump and has then sent it to someone, who is now gleefully showing it to dozens of people through tears of laughter.

Long story short, he’s basically said that people buy their gig tickets as normal, then they have a covid test one week before the show, which if it comes back negative will then give them a code that lives in an app, which is basically like a passport, so that it’s scanned and allows them entry to the venue.

There is no mention of where or how people are tested, how the app integrates with those results, who pays for said testing etc. It also offers no protection or assurances in terms of that person between being tested and the show itself. For example, I could get tested on Monday, be given the all clear on Wednesday, catch the thing on Thursday / Friday (I could’ve even caught it between the test and the results being given to be honest), and then unwittingly spread it across a venue at a gig on the Saturday. It is absolutely bananas, but this man is basically the head of the biggest live music promotions company in the world, so they’re now using this as an official blueprint to start working from. Absolutely wild.

This is before he’s even considered things like what happens to ticket holders who buy a ticket in good faith and then can’t attend, how any sort of refund policy would affect financial projections and profit, if the bands and crew are even willing to travel across land and sea to begin with, what the tour bus situation is etc. Tour buses are already like Petri dishes - if one person gets sick then most of the rest of you catch it within a week. That’s what happens when you’re all breathing recycled air and living literally on top of each other, sleeping inches apart in a vehicle that is a double decker bus / normal coach that carries 12-16 people.

There are gigs and tours being pushed back to spring / summer of next year that people are already quietly saying still won’t be able to happen even then. But I thought the above would at least serve as a bit of an example as to how screwed live music will remain probably until vaccination.

Question is after todays vandalism in Bristol , will Coulston hall, live music venue, be torched after dark, as extremists impose their views on others? ? :oops:

There is a positively mental email doing the rounds from one of the biggest music promoters in the country regarding a system he has devised to get gigs going again. When I say he’s devised it, he’s basically written it out on an iPad while taking a dump and has then sent it to someone, who is now gleefully showing it to dozens of people through tears of laughter.

Long story short, he’s basically said that people buy their gig tickets as normal, then they have a covid test one week before the show, which if it comes back negative will then give them a code that lives in an app, which is basically like a passport, so that it’s scanned and allows them entry to the venue.

There is no mention of where or how people are tested, how the app integrates with those results, who pays for said testing etc. It also offers no protection or assurances in terms of that person between being tested and the show itself. For example, I could get tested on Monday, be given the all clear on Wednesday, catch the thing on Thursday / Friday (I could’ve even caught it between the test and the results being given to be honest), and then unwittingly spread it across a venue at a gig on the Saturday. It is absolutely bananas, but this man is basically the head of the biggest live music promotions company in the world, so they’re now using this as an official blueprint to start working from. Absolutely wild.

This is before he’s even considered things like what happens to ticket holders who buy a ticket in good faith and then can’t attend, how any sort of refund policy would affect financial projections and profit, if the bands and crew are even willing to travel across land and sea to begin with, what the tour bus situation is etc. Tour buses are already like Petri dishes - if one person gets sick then most of the rest of you catch it within a week. That’s what happens when you’re all breathing recycled air and living literally on top of each other, sleeping inches apart in a vehicle that is a double decker bus / normal coach that carries 12-16 people.
Jeez, that is properly nuts. He sounds so incompetent that he's a shoo-in to be the next head of the EFL.

There are gigs and tours being pushed back to spring / summer of next year that people are already quietly saying still won’t be able to happen even then. But I thought the above would at least serve as a bit of an example as to how screwed live music will remain probably until vaccination.
I guess one possible solution is for LA’s to relax the restrictions on outdoor events. I know theres the obvious problems with weather and ‘Nimbys‘ but I live in Witney, weve had music festivals that have been ring fenced with block and mesh fencing and security with limited numbers of tickets. As I say not ideal by any stretch but, if social distancing can be maintained and masks are worn, it might keep things ticking over for promoters and musicians. Places like Blenheim, who have experience of holding out door events could possible set up some sort of arena for outside companies to hire? Its obvious that places like the O2 (I still know it as The Zodiac) will have to keep their doors shut for quite a while yet.

First 2 albums good. But 90s music, sorry, gotta go Radiohead, Suede, Mansun. I'd argue that Suede have multiple B sides better than anything Oasis ever did (Killing of a Flash Boy to name just one).

But music is art, so what the f**k do I know... I like anyone who has a passion for bands, irrespective of who they are.

I'm not sure where I sit on this, but thought that with Oasis were good, even liked Be Here Now and it's the one Oasis album I tend to revisit more than the others. Radiohead, obviously, but against popular view, I really like Pablo Honey. It feels like the music before they grew up, but feels more 90's.

Mansun remain under rated and Wide Open Space is one of the songs of the decade, with some very stiff competition. However, if I was to nail my colours to any mast it would have to be Suede. The Living Dead and My Dark Star as the B sides of Stay Together were beautiful. The one band that I have to listen to away from anyone else so I can truly savour them! Any distractions would be like going to the the Louvre and dicking about infront of the art!

I'm not sure where I sit on this, but thought that with Oasis were good, even liked Be Here Now and it's the one Oasis album I tend to revisit more than the others. Radiohead, obviously, but against popular view, I really like Pablo Honey. It feels like the music before they grew up, but feels more 90's.

Mansun remain under rated and Wide Open Space is one of the songs of the decade, with some very stiff competition. However, if I was to nail my colours to any mast it would have to be Suede. The Living Dead and My Dark Star as the B sides of Stay Together were beautiful. The one band that I have to listen to away from anyone else so I can truly savour them! Any distractions would be like going to the the Louvre and dicking about infront of the art!
The Living Dead is just epic, it is for me Suede's best song (tied with Asphalt World)

I have suede tickets for November, would have been fantastic so hopefully rescheduled and not cancelled.

Will be interesting to see what ticket prices are after Covid. In 2018 U2 were charging £200 a ticket for their arena tour and were selling out. No way they could charge that after covid.

(Here comes the I wouldn't pay £20 let alone £200 to see U2).

Will be interesting to see what ticket prices are after Covid. In 2018 U2 were charging £200 a ticket for their arena tour and were selling out. No way they could charge that after covid.

(Here comes the I wouldn't pay £20 let alone £200 to see U2).
Or, you could argue that if arenas were set up to admit fewer and have less crowding then ticket prices would go up.

I used to like the wheatsheaf for a daytime pint, the last normal boozer in town. I mean they have no chance of stopping the university turning it into even more student accommodation, obviously Oxford city centre has always been built around the colleges but it now seems as if they want to turn it completely over to them so they give them what every they want.

Is nothing sacred? Pub of choice when I was a lad going to my first games with mates.
Used to go there when visiting Gills the ironmonger, also long gone, of course. No doubt the colleges will have their way and get want they want, always do.

Is nothing sacred? Pub of choice when I was a lad going to my first games with mates.
Used to go there when visiting Gills the ironmonger, also long gone, of course. No doubt the colleges will have their way and get want they want, always do.
register an 'objection' in the comments section .... point out the cultural significance of the venue , and maybe point out that with nowhere to play, the vibrant and productive Oxford music scene, which, over recentish decades , has produced nationally and internationally renowned bands and acts, will cease to exit.... or words along those lines

Back
Top Bottom