Line up for Sunderland.....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy1505

OK so I guess the signings aren't all in yet but does anyone want to hazard a guess at the line up?! I'll go first.....
4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1??

Eastwood

Cadden Dickie Mousinho Ruffels

Gorrin Brannagan

Forde Sykes Fosu

Mackie

SUBS: Stevens
Long
Hanson
Hall
Henry
Napa
Woodburn​

Substitute Mous for the new CB and I think that's beginning to look a strong first XI, once again the strength in depth looks to be the point of discussion....but agree with the earlier poster who said is there a lack of pace?

Last edited:
It's slowly getting there now. We just 2 big signings in striker and centre back and maybe 1 or 2 more versatile squad players

I think he’ll play Hanson, not Sykes, as we’ll be on the back foot for much of the game.

I'd like to see:

Eastwood
Cadden Dickie New CB Ruffels
Brannagan Gorrin
Fosu Sykes Woodburn
Mackie (replaced after 60 mins by New ST)

I think it'll be:

Same GK, back four, and midfield 2.

Forde Henry Fosu
Mackie

Forde won't play he hasn't had a pre-season. He has been training on his own, reckons he will be ready in a couple of weeks!

Eastwood

Cadden Dickies Mousinho Ruffels

Gorrin Brannagan

Forde Henry Fosu

Mackie

Subs: Stevens, Long, (NEW CB?) Hanson, Sykes, Hall, Woodburn,

Eastwood
Cadden Dickie Moore Ruffels
Hanson Gorrin
Woodburn Brannagan Fosu
Mackie

Think this new striker and Forde will go onto bench but Moore will start I reckon if announced on time.Finally getting there.

Eastwood
Cadden Dickie Moore Ruffels
Gorrin Brannagan
Sykes Woodburn Fosu
Mackie

Subs Stevens, Long, Mous, Berkoe, Henry, Hanson, Hall, Napa

Edited due to forgetting Henry!!!

Last edited:
  • React
Reactions: ljs
Gut feeling is we'll start with Napa up front and give Mackie 30 mins at the end.

Last season U’s Line Up:

Jonathan Mitchell

Cameron Norman
Curtis Nelson
John Mousinho
Josh Ruffels

Cameron Brannagan
Shandon Baptiste

Marcus Browne
James Henry
Ricky Holmes

Jamie Mackie

Subs:

Rob Dickie
Gavin Whyte
Scott Shearer
Tony McMahon
Luke Garbutt
Sam Smith
Jonathan Obika

Last season U’s Line Up:

Jonathan Mitchell Eastwood +

Cameron Norman Cadden +
Curtis Nelson Dickie =
John Mousinho Moore +
Josh Ruffels Ruffels =

Cameron Brannagan Brannagan =
Shandon Baptiste Gorrin +

Marcus Browne Sykes -
James Henry Woodburn =
Ricky Holmes Fosu -

Jamie Mackie Mackie =

Looking at last seasons starting line up, I would argue that we are stronger at the back and in the middle of the park than we were last season. Eastwood offers so much more tahn Mitchell did in goal, and although it's hard to call between Nelson (who wasn't in great form) and Dickie, I would say that Dickie/Moore is stronger than Nelson/Mous. Cadden offers far more than Norman did and if anything Ruffels has got better in his role.

Brannagan has grown in stature and although Baptiste was great last year I feel more confident with Cam Bran and Gorrin. Playing off these is difficult to call. Browne, Henry and Holmes were a class act whilst Sykes, Woodburn and Fosu have huge potentail but we don't know how that will pan out in the game. Upfront whilst we still have Mackie, I would hope that he is much fitter than he was last year even if he is carrying a knock.

So on that basis I'm going for a repeat of the Pompey first game of the season a few years back with a 4-2 away win. Fosu, Mackie, Moore and Woodburn!

Last season U’s Line Up:

Cameron Norman Cadden +
Curtis Nelson Dickie =
John Mousinho Moore +
Josh Ruffels Ruffels =

Marcus Browne Sykes -
James Henry Woodburn =
Ricky Holmes Fosu -

Jamie Mackie Mackie =

Looking at last seasons starting line up, I would argue that we are stronger at the back and in the middle of the park than we were last season. Eastwood offers so much more tahn Mitchell did in goal, and although it's hard to call between Nelson (who wasn't in great form) and Dickie, I would say that Dickie/Moore is stronger than Nelson/Mous. Cadden offers far more than Norman did and if anything Ruffels has got better in his role.

Brannagan has grown in stature and although Baptiste was great last year I feel more confident with Cam Bran and Gorrin. Playing off these is difficult to call. Browne, Henry and Holmes were a class act whilst Sykes, Woodburn and Fosu have huge potentail but we don't know how that will pan out in the game. Upfront whilst we still have Mackie, I would hope that he is much fitter than he was last year even if he is carrying a knock.

So on that basis I'm going for a repeat of the Pompey first game of the season a few years back with a 4-2 away win. Fosu, Mackie, Moore and Woodburn!

Baptise was the best player on the pitch last season.

Last season U’s Line Up:

Cameron Norman Cadden +
Curtis Nelson Dickie =
John Mousinho Moore +
Josh Ruffels Ruffels =

Marcus Browne Sykes -
James Henry Woodburn =
Ricky Holmes Fosu -

Jamie Mackie Mackie =

Pompey away 4-1 ? Alfie scored 2 made 2

I'd go:

Eastwood
Cadden, Dickie, Moore, Ruffles
Gorrin, Brannagan
Forde, Henry, Fosu
Woodburn​

Subs:
Stevens, Moushino, Long, Hall, Sykes, Napa, Mackie

The question mark will be whether Hanson replaces Napa on the bench. I wouldn't have an issue with that since it is away to one of the strongest teams so maybe have more of a defensive bench but not be a bad thing.

Looks solid enough...
Maybe Mackie for Woodburn to start?

Eastwood
Cadden, Dickie, Moore, Ruffles
Gorrin, Brannagan
Sykes, Henry, Fosu
Woodburn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom