Life and thoughts after Joey

gofish2

Since learning of Joey's death, I have watched the forum very carefully. From the initial considerable shock, the subsequent tributes, and the pain and devastation expressed at seeing the awful desperation this man experienced. At no time did I feel able to comment..

I had to wait, before I felt able to fully acknowledge the awfulness of his suffering and those who suffered before and since his suicide.
I think that my waiting was because I couldn't find the words, I felt overwhelmed, and this is all too close to home.

Some of you will know that I work in paediatric mental health. We work at the sharp end, we see horrific self-harm, overdoses, alcohol and drug abuse, sexual abuse, severe emotional neglect and deprivation, in a service context, which. to be honest is not fit for purpose as far as adequate service provision is concerned.

I know that as I write this, you will know of people who have been failed by the services. Some of you, may have very direct experience of this.
I am afflicted with an ability to see and predict psychiatric and emotional trajectories. This means, I can see where a case is likely to go without the most thoughtful intervention. I also know, that such interventions are unlikely.

The outcome is never good, and it may very well have been the case that Joey was a victim of this. It may also be the case that he never reached a point where confronting his mental health was manageable. I don't know,

I have been in the work of paediatric mental health for over 40 years. I don't know about the children's lives I may have helped to continue, but of those who I didn't. I do.
On Friday I learned that a former patient aged 16, hung himself in the middle of the night.
He was found by his mother who cut him down.
The pain his family are experiencing is unfathomable and I'm truly sorry if anybody who reads this has experienced something similar.
And, we as "professionals" are often thought to be okay because we are, "trained for this kind of situation". Believe me, we are not. There is no training to my knowledge that can prepare you for such unspeakable tragedy.

I don't say lightly that I am devastated. And, if you reply to this, please don't say it wasn't or couldn't have been my fault. I know it wasn't and my clinical judgement stands up to scrutiny. But I built a relationship with this boy over a very long period. I tried to care for him as if he were my own. It didn't work and now he's dead. My pain is a fraction of that his parents will always live with.

We work is at the sharp end. Where the deep emotional and physical wounds are constantly on display. where the awfulness that these children and young people have suffered find horrific expression. The devastation they leave in their wake is incalculable. And it's not their fault.

We continue, we try to hold families in their horrific loss. We try and help them pick up the pieces, and then we quietly pick up our own.

Always listen to the pain of others, and always be there as best you can. It may not work, and if it doesn't it will hurt you badly, but it matters that you cared and tried.

Thank you for finding the strength to share your thoughts and your experiences. As many know, I've been in the Prison Service for 27 years and have sadly seen many of the things that you describe. We both deal with people who are damaged mentally and emotionally from childhood traumas that would break anyone. Suicide and self harm are an almost daily occurrence, as are acts of violence against others. But they both represent different sides of the same coin.

They may "only" be prisoners, as yours are service users, but they are all human. They are all someone's son, brother, father. I am no longer the person I was when I joined the job. I like to think that I've helped many of those in my care, and know that some have gone on to lead crime free and successful lives after release. I know that I've saved many, either by taking the time to talk to them and understand their issues, or by direct interventions including cutting down someone who had attempted to hang themselves.

I know that I've done a good job and make a difference every day. But I have been deeply affected by what I have seen, and the guilt remains for those I couldn't save. Those who I have locked up at night only to find them dead in the morning. Those that I didn't see the signs for, or thought they were exaggerating to manipulate the system.

We can never get things right all the time, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't try and a simple word, or a moment reaching out to someone might just be the thing that saves someone's life. And please @gofish2 never stop caring but do get the care and support you need.

Back
Top Bottom