Ex Player Alex Rodriguez Gorrin

Corners don't tend to lead to goals anymore, statistically at the very top level only 3.3% of corners lead to goals, and I doubt it is any better in L1. So we're not alone in that. However as ljs says Kelly's low driven corners were really impressive and had Newcastle's defenders and goalie all over the place. Now with pacy wingers on both flanks, we seem to be playing with a lot of width and high cross volume, so will get a lot of corners. If we can become a threat from corners, this could really become a weapon, especially considering how tall our CBs are and how good Taylor (and Agyei) are in the air

He definitely grew into the game, and started to really run things once he dropped into the deeper role vacated by Gorrin when he was subbed.

My concern is that we seem to have three midfielders that are more suited to playing as a deep lying midfielder than playing either side of a midfield three.

It will be interesting to see how Robinson fits them into the system.

Was told by a Reading supporter colleague that he was good, thought he showed that last night.

If Brannagan is still struggling we could do a lot worse that giving Kelly a run of games, looks like a similar player. I hope he starts on Saturday to get him up to speed quicker, I'd rather not risk playing Brannagan, give Cam time to recover fully from his niggling knee injury.

Special mention for Sykes who was outstanding for most of the game, what great energy the lad has.

If Brannagan is still struggling we could do a lot worse that giving Kelly a run of games, looks like a similar player. I hope he starts on Saturday to get him up to speed quicker, I'd rather not risk playing Brannagan, give Cam time to recover fully from his niggling knee injury.

Special mention for Sykes who was outstanding for most of the game, what great energy the lad has.
He was a target for countless niggly fouls. Brilliant display

Agree Sykes was fantastic last night.

Kelly was excellent in the quarterback role maximising the use of the space. At times he was dictating the game especially in extra time until Brannagan went off causing a reshuffle.

Will be interesting how we start to fit these players into our midfield.

I enjoyed Kelly dropping back between the CBs allowing Brannagan (and at the time, Sykes) to get forward.

The challenge will be getting those three, plus Gorrin into the team. Gorrin is integral for us so i can't see him being dropped. Brannagan is one of the best midfielders in the league - his link up with Holland on the left is starting to develop too. That leaves on space for Kelly or Sykes...obviously we can rotate dependant on opposition, but Kelly's ability to make line breaking passes and keep the ball moving is a huge asset to us. Add in the set piece quality and within a few games we could see him play the full 90.

KR is blessed with quality in midfield - he now has a challenge to fit them all in

I enjoyed Kelly dropping back between the CBs allowing Brannagan (and at the time, Sykes) to get forward.

The challenge will be getting those three, plus Gorrin into the team. Gorrin is integral for us so i can't see him being dropped. Brannagan is one of the best midfielders in the league - his link up with Holland on the left is starting to develop too. That leaves on space for Kelly or Sykes...obviously we can rotate dependant on opposition, but Kelly's ability to make line breaking passes and keep the ball moving is a huge asset to us. Add in the set piece quality and within a few games we could see him play the full 90.

KR is blessed with quality in midfield - he now has a challenge to fit them all in
Indeed, the only way is to play Sykes on the right of the front three, Gorrin holding with Brannagan and Kelly in front of him.

Edit: Add Henry and Thorne to the conundrum.. and that is just the midfield!

Last edited:

I think it is a good thing that we have players who can keep the high quality in the defensive midfield role now so that Gorrin can be given a break every now and then. Kelly really did look impressive in there.

I thought Kelly looked a lot happier when playing the Gorrin role than when playing further up. Clearly he needs game time

And where does Henry fit in as well?
Sykes was very good last night. Hevwouod have been the obvious one to drop out until recent performances.
Maybe Shandon saw the writing on the wall so thought he had to move on to get a game ?

And where does Henry fit in as well?
Sykes was very good last night. Hevwouod have been the obvious one to drop out until recent performances.
Maybe Shandon saw the writing on the wall so thought he had to move on to get a game ?

Henry on the wing....all day long

Getting a bit of stick for his weight but I'd say when you're as short as he is you need a bit of extra 'bulk' to stop getting barged off the ball. Didn't seem to be too slow either, guess it depends what his stamina is like. Looking forward to seeing more of him either way.

Back
Top Bottom