Matches Lge 1 & Lge 2 on (SKY)

Leysboy

Thought I’d ask, but with the World Cup being on in November, and December. Surely that will mean that Lge 1 and 2 will be shown throughout those two months, because BBC and ITV have the rights to the World Cup.

Hopefully we won’t be selected, because our record on tv is abysmal.

Thought I’d ask, but with the World Cup being on in November, and December. Surely that will mean that Lge 1 and 2 will be shown throughout those two months, because BBC and ITV have the rights to the World Cup.

Hopefully we won’t be selected, because our record on tv is abysmal.
bet the tv appearance £ is minimal for any L1/ L2 sides

There may be league one clubs with players at the World Cup, maybe Ipswich - surely they won’t be able to postpone all their fixtures?

There may be league one clubs with players at the World Cup, maybe Ipswich - surely they won’t be able to postpone all their fixtures?
Was having this discussion with someone recently - will be interesting what happens. Not sure if its allowed to postpone some and not others, or whether they'd be allowed to start playing then decide to have a break.

We had this discussion a few months ago.

But there's really not very many. Most of the time, when League One clubs postpone their games on international weekends, it's because they have a bunch of players who are either playing in youth internationals at the various levels, or smaller national teams (with the two Irish sides, or one of the Caribbean island sides, being the most common).

The number of League One players who play for the senior team of a country that has qualified for the World Cup is really, really small.

If Wales win on Sunday, then there may be a handful. But if Ukraine win......I'm not 100% certain there are going to be any? Unless the Aussies qualify and decide to take Ryan Williams?

We had this discussion a few months ago.

But there's really not very many. Most of the time, when League One clubs postpone their games on international weekends, it's because they have a bunch of players who are either playing in youth internationals at the various levels, or smaller national teams (with the two Irish sides, or one of the Caribbean island sides, being the most common).

The number of League One players who play for the senior team of a country that has qualified for the World Cup is really, really small.

If Wales win on Sunday, then there may be a handful. But if Ukraine win......I'm not 100% certain there are going to be any? Unless the Aussies qualify and decide to take Ryan Williams?
Even then there are no L1 or L2 teams with the requisite number of players at the World Cup (three, isn't it, and even then they have to be over 21?) If the Premier League teams are unable to cancel because they have players at the African Cup, then I fail to see why it would be different for anyone else.

Because it seemed like more fun than doing the work I really ought to be doing right now, I just quickly went through all the teams that will be playing in the World Cup (including the remaining seven teams that are still involved in WC playoffs this month).

In terms of players that were in the most recent senior squads for those countries, if you exclude Wales, there were precisely two that played last season for clubs that will be in next year's League One - Krystian Bielik (Poland & Derby County) and Jeando Fuchs (Cameroon & Peterborough).

If Wales make it - then you can add Matthew Smith (MK Dons), Wes Burns (Ipswich) & Joe Morell (Pompey).

In other words, it's not an issue unless a League One club decides over the summer to sign a bunch of players that are playing in Qatar. And if they do that, they're idiots and deserve what's coming to them!

Two asides - there are only three nations made up of players who play entirely in their home countries. And that's Qatar, Saudi Arabia & UAE (will have to beat the Aussies, then Peru to qualify). Not sure that's going to serve them very well in December, but we'll see!

And then there is a League Two club that has two players that could feature in the World Cup......and it's our six fingered friends from down the A420.
Joe Wollacott (Ghana) & Jonny Williams (Wales) both played for them last season. Although if they're smart, they can hopefully find alternative employment over the summer.

Two asides - there are only three nations made up of players who play entirely in their home countries. And that's Qatar, Saudi Arabia & UAE (will have to beat the Aussies, then Peru to qualify). Not sure that's going to serve them very well in December, but we'll see!

And then there is a League Two club that has two players that could feature in the World Cup......and it's our six fingered friends from down the A420.
Joe Wollacott (Ghana) & Jonny Williams (Wales) both played for them last season. Although if they're smart, they can hopefully find alternative employment over the summer.

Impressive procrastination.

I raised this knowing someone more thorough than me would find out!

The only way we will be on is if we are playing Sheffield Wednesday Ipswich Bolton Pompey or one or two others.

The only way we will be on is if we are playing Sheffield Wednesday Ipswich Bolton Pompey or one or two others.

They might also decide to just play Women’s football. That’s wouldn’t surprise me!

I thought it was seven 🙂

Back
Top Bottom