Ex Player Lets scour the internet for great oxford goals...

OK, so a holy grail of mine for all you older yellows.

The Leeds 5 - 2 game in November 194 was on Match of the Day. Unless I had a really vivid dream I remember my dad letting me stay up late (I was only 8!) to watch Sportsnight one night in probably December 1984.

Sportsnight had an Oxford feature which included a camera sitting with Jim and Maxwell as they sat in the directors box during the first half. I think that Jim often watched the first half in the stand and then came to touchline second half, but I may be wrong in that. I especially remember it as having gone 2-0 down in the first half we got one back, which led to Maxwell standing and clapping, then sitting down and asking Jim who scored, to be met with a very curt "BRIGGS".

There must have been more to the piece than that - I'm guessing more interaction between manager and chairman, maybe some dressing room footage - but don't remember anything other than the exchange in the directors box.

Does anyone remember seeing this - or even better - know where a copy lives online?

Here you go. I've just uploaded it to YouTube for you, @Jonny G

Last edited by a moderator:

Joey Beauchamp v Stoke - March 1998
Some quality football from the boys there. Big club Stoke, nearly filling half of the Cuckoo Lane in that clip!! I think it has the audio from the Reading game the following Tuesday too.
That Reading game was very funny, we hammered them - far more than the three goal margin suggested - their fans were getting more and more irate at their manager during the game and then Maurice Evans told a story the morning after about how some of the Reading directors had asked his advice in the boardroom afterwards on whether they should should get rid of their manager, only to be reminded by Maurice that several of them were the same directors who'd sacked him 15 years earlier!

Last edited:
I have a vague memory of Rosey scoring with a volley from an impossible angle on the left-hand side of the penalty area at the Cuckoo Lane end. Can't remember who against or the exact year, but would've been around '85-'87?

I may have imagined it, but if anyone has a clip of it..........

I have a vague memory of Rosey scoring with a volley from an impossible angle on the left-hand side of the penalty area at the Cuckoo Lane end. Can't remember who against or the exact year, but would've been around '85-'87?

I may have imagined it, but if anyone has a clip of it..........
He scored a worldie against Chelsea I believe which fits that description.

Back
Top Bottom