Ex Player Lets scour the internet for great oxford goals...

For some reason, a Swindon fan has put together 12 minutes of various coverage of the 2-0 win from 2012 together recently. Still not entirely sure what Constable was sent off for.

It's also made me ponder Lee Holmes too. Spells at bigger clubs than us and 18 caps at England U19 level, you would have thought he would have been playing his trade at a higher level for longer. He's still at Exeter and has played well over 100 games for them but he did appear to have the makings of a consistent top half League 1/mid-to-lower Championship player. He was exceptional against Swindon that day though.

Oxford v Villa - Milk Cup semis 1986

In the first leg that was a cracking move when John Aldridge hit the crossbar. Jeremy Charles really should have scored in that game. In the 2nd leg, that was a shocker of a penalty missed by the Ref. The highlights of the 2nd leg really showed Jeremy Charles at his most effective. Both legs show why John Aldridge and Ray Houghton were such good players, oozing class.

On a side note, apart from a 'mare bit of play for Mark Walters goal in the 2nd leg, all the highlights from that time show how important John 'the Crab' Trewick was to the squad. He is generally not mentioned when talking about players from that time but his steadiness and versatility gave a lot of balance to the squad. Clearly he was not in the same class as John Aldridge, Ray Houghton, Trevor Hebberd etc etc but in hindsight he was an essential part of the squad.

Not an Oxford goal - but a goal from a future Oxford Utd striker.

Paul Shaw volleying past Pal Lundin for Millwall at the Manor in 1999.

In fairness to Lundin he did get his fingers to Shaw's brilliant effort
but couldn't keep it out.

ONE OF THE VERY BEST: (courtesy of Jim Henderson)

Paul Simpson v Brighton in November 1991.

Cuckoo Lane End. 25 yards out. Minimal backlift. Outside of the left boot. Top bin.

Last edited:

Not a U's classic but the whole Oxford U v Tottenham match from the Manor in November 1986
has gone up on You Tube.

Spurs won 4-2 - Clive Allen (2) and Chris Waddle (2)

David Leworthy scores after 6 mins.

Lost 4-2 at White Hart Lane in the fa cup. I think Lineker Gazza 2, cant remember the other scorer. Martin Foyle scored 2 for us.

God that was a while back. Feeling incredibly old!

Not a U's classic but the whole Oxford U v Tottenham match from the Manor in November 1986
has gone up on You Tube.

Spurs won 4-2 - Clive Allen (2) and Chris Waddle (2)

David Leworthy scores after 6 mins.
Remember that game well. I went with a Tottenham fan. While our players were Complaining that Oxford should have been allowed a goal to go 3-3, they went up the other end and scored

Best 3 I have personally witnessed was halls at Swindon and Peter Levens from the half way maguire free kick at boro although roofe scored some belters.

Lost 4-2 at White Hart Lane in the fa cup. I think Lineker Gazza 2, cant remember the other scorer. Martin Foyle scored 2 for us.

God that was a while back. Feeling incredibly old!

I felt old the other day when I saw that Wayne Biggin's 24 yo son Harrison Biggins signed for Barrow. I can still remember Wayne Biggins scoring for us away at Hereford in the League Cup in 1995 and generally being a bit rubbish. Tbf it was the end part of his career when he signed for us and he had a decent career overall.

Best 3 I have personally witnessed was halls at Swindon and Peter Levens from the half way maguire free kick at boro although roofe scored some belters.

I haven't found coverage of it but Rosie's goal vs Chelsea in 1985, an absolute stunner of a volley assuming my memory is correct.

Maguire free kick at boro? Your either very young or don’t go to many games at all.

Back
Top Bottom