Les Robinson testimonial

A friend persuaded me to go and it was a fun afternoon. Excellent attendance of nearly 2000 (with all executive boxes full)

Phil Neal (Liverpool manager) and Alan Kennedy (who played at 60 something and looked one of the fitter players on the pitch) both won the European Cup with Liverpool.

Paul Walsh and Mark Walters showed that they were good players. Good to see the old OUFC team under Denis Smith (who was there with Malcolm Crosby). Elliott, Gilchrist, Joey, Chris Allen, Massey, and then Purse, Les Philipps, Judge, and a few more.

Gilchrist taken to hospital. Hope he’s okay. How slowly did the St John’s paramedic walk across the pitch to him? Seemed a little too casual for my liking.

Thought Robbo was really good. Put Tiendalli to shame. ;) Kee made some very tidy saves.

Fair play to everyone, it can’t have been easy playing in those conditions. Thought they would’ve had a few drinks breaks.

Enjoyable day - with a pint in the stands, too!

So that's the 17-18 football season over. Best forgotten.

Now I'll start bazza going with the first chorus of...

Have we signed anybody yet?
The trouble is Malc, KR seems to want to sign players quickly. What on earth will that leave all fans to worry about?

Free scarves and the efficacy of balloons.

Had to leave ten minutes before the end. What was the final score? Basically a lot of aging and aged player having fun. But every now and then someone would do something that showed just how good they were in their prime. Enjoyed it a lot.

Celebrity Walking Football @ times. Impressed with Johnny Lager. Paul Walsh. Alan Kennedy. Paul Kee. Alan Judge. Wanless. Joey B. And finally Robbo who was excellent. Great day. All round. Pity Mark Lawrence could make it. Denis Smith didnt seem that well. Crosby on good form.

Celebrity Walking Football @ times. Impressed with Johnny Lager. Paul Walsh. Alan Kennedy. Paul Kee. Alan Judge. Wanless. Joey B. And finally Robbo who was excellent. Great day. All round. Pity Mark Lawrence could make it. Denis Smith didnt seem that well. Crosby on good form.
I think it was more the Mic than Denis Smith... wanted to see Moods but I guess he couldn't make it? Hope Gilly is Ok too!!

Under the heat conditions, age and physical conditioning I thought the players put on a decent display for a good crowd, impressed with Paul Kee he made some really decent saves and you can still see Matty has some class.

Took eldest son for his first taste of OUFC and the Kassam and he absolutely loved the day, particularly meeting some of the names I've talked about over the years. The atmosphere was really good, just 2000 people having a nice day in the sun, and the game itself - while undertandably somewhat pedestrian - gave wonderful glimpses of what some of the players were like in their day.
Robbo was just unstoppable, but special mention to Alan Kennedy (or BArney Rubble as I am reliably informed he was known as) for chargin up and down the wing all afternoon as well, not bad for someone of about 102 years of age!
Also, I couldnt help thinking that that back four of Robbo, Elliott, Purse and Gilly would still be more reliable than some we have fielded in recent years!
Great day - and all the best Robbo
PS - Get well soon Gilly

Seen social media reporting Gilly's done his achilles. Will we need another fund raiser for an injury incurred in a testimonial?

Great day out yesterday. Fantastic to see the team I grew up with play again.
Is Alan Judge still playing regularly? Looked like he could still walk into a side!

Back
Top Bottom