Ex Player Leon Chamber-Parillon

It's hard to comment when I haven't seen him play for ages
His development has not happened which is a shame as looked the real deal.

You do have to question whether the tactic of taking players who have been relesased by other clubs into our own system is really the right approach. LCP was from Fulham or Villa I think. Elechi was at Man United. On paper it should be great, and the results that the young teams keep getting suggests that it works...

...however, they don;t seem to quite make the grade at first team level. Do they just need more opportunities? Better loans? More loans? More time? I've no idea? Are they just not good enough?

You do have to question whether the tactic of taking players who have been relesased by other clubs into our own system is really the right approach. LCP was from Fulham or Villa I think. Elechi was at Man United. On paper it should be great, and the results that the young teams keep getting suggests that it works...

...however, they don;t seem to quite make the grade at first team level. Do they just need more opportunities? Better loans? More loans? More time? I've no idea? Are they just not good enough?
Sadly if they're released you really have your answer. We must remember these players are seen on a Daily Basis.

Interesting though is when we have been skint and had no choice but to give youngsters a go we always seemed to get a crop come through .
When enough money to buy and retain your squad players like Anthony Forde it really blocks that ' gamble ' which can produce rewards .
Or maybe just lucky to have a good crop come through at the same time in the past ?

Sadly if they're released you really have your answer. We must remember these players are seen on a Daily Basis.
Oh come on. Because they are released by Villa or Man U they have no chance and can't be developed 'because they have been released'
There are numerous examples that prove this is totally wrong.
Even Matt Taylor was released by Oxford and didn't do so badly.
Brentford use this as part of their model (Carroll and Jones have been part of this)

It would be really interesting to see how the value of an academy is calculated by a club. We've many come through, often with very glowing endorsements from KR, flirt with the first team, and then disappear. We've been at it for quite a bit now (after the Kassam cull) and we've produced very few first-team regulars. Perhaps you only need one Shandon Baptiste to justify it, but given the club puts so much into it, I can't help but be disappointed at our returns.

Oh come on. Because they are released by Villa or Man U they have no chance and can't be developed 'because they have been released'
There are numerous examples that prove this is totally wrong.
Even Matt Taylor was released by Oxford and didn't do so badly.
Brentford use this as part of their model (Carroll and Jones have been part of this)
I meant released by us and where we wish to be, in many cases after several years. if fans want a top 2 Auto push then unfortunately those players have to be released.

it's football where difficult decisions have to be made

Disappointing, those young players were spoken of well and looked good in the City friendly. Trouble is we play at a very high standard where every mistake is dissected, and have a restricted squad size. Hope they can play at a higher level than City

Disappointing, those young players were spoken of well and looked good in the City friendly. Trouble is we play at a very high standard where every mistake is dissected, and have a restricted squad size. Hope they can play at a higher level than City
indeed, unfortunately we live in a virtual Instant World and as far as Football is concerned fans as good as demand the instant fix and for clubs it's about Money

Interesting though is when we have been skint and had no choice but to give youngsters a go we always seemed to get a crop come through .
When enough money to buy and retain your squad players like Anthony Forde it really blocks that ' gamble ' which can produce rewards .
Or maybe just lucky to have a good crop come through at the same time in the past ?
Agree. There is definitely a percentage that have much more growing room which doesn;t come out until they're chucked into the first team on a regular basis. But, cleary clubs will often favour a more senior, known quantity (eg. Forde).

Noone can tell me that AFC Wimbledon's Academny is much better than ours, yet they keep bringing players thorugh. Think the difference is that they have a lower budget.

Don't forget because of Covid and the restrictions that come with that, no youth games for months, no mixing with the first team squad it had a massive impact on players progress.
I was just going to mention this as well - COVID will have had a massive impact on this age cohort across the country, with many missing out on that crucial development work with coaches and game/squad/match experience during the last two years.

Just as an aside, no mention of spasov in this announcement so maybe we are persevering with this one after his injuries...

I meant released by us and where we wish to be, in many cases after several years. if fans want a top 2 Auto push then unfortunately those players have to be released.

Ah OK, apologies wrong end of the stick.
Agree we are nowhere near to where we need to be

Agree. There is definitely a percentage that have much more growing room which doesn;t come out until they're chucked into the first team on a regular basis. But, cleary clubs will often favour a more senior, known quantity (eg. Forde).

Noone can tell me that AFC Wimbledon's Academny is much better than ours, yet they keep bringing players thorugh. Think the difference is that they have a lower budget.
There is a huge difference of course. AFC Wimbledon three in young players because they have to and their ambition is pretty much to stay up ( which they failed to do)
Our young players have to go into a team that have been challenged to go up next season. They have to be very good.
I think that the players coming through are not good enough yet for whatever reason.
Tiger was at Reading and he will be aware of what they do in their Academy. They seem to have managed to produce a number of Championship level youngsters

Agree but sometimes the easy option of playing your Sam Winnells , Anthony Fordes who will only ever be average at best , LC-P getting a game only at left back not exactly building his confidence I'd say .

It’s always a big ask for any youngster to break in to the first team, the very limited number in the past dosnt suggest that there ever was a ongoing supply, no idea why, Dan Harris says a young player needs to have played 50 games to be considered a sucess

Shandon Baptiste? Released by Reading, sold for multiple millions by us. The model clearly brings about rewards for finding diamonds in the rough, they are clearly just few and far between.

Also worth noting that Marvin ekpiteta at Blackpool and miles welch-hayes at Colchester in L2 both came through our system but for whatever reason were not kept on after graduation.

I still think home grown players should be exempt from the senior squad cap, at least until they are say 24. It would allow clubs to keep late developers in the building rather than having to let them go at 21

Shandon Baptiste? Released by Reading, sold for multiple millions by us. The model clearly brings about rewards for finding diamonds in the rough, they are clearly just few and far between.

It makes you wonder about the competence of the recruitment staff at a lot of these clubs. To be fair, not many we have released recently have emerged elsewhere at any decent standard. Baptiste, to me, looked a very natural footballer and you wonder how Reading failed to see that.

Agree but sometimes the easy option of playing your Sam Winnells , Anthony Fordes who will only ever be average at best , LC-P getting a game only at left back not exactly building his confidence I'd say .
I guess you could say try them out in the Mickey Mouse Trophy which we have done, the downside being that the farther you go in the competition and a Final beckons the stronger squad is played.

if they are good enough they'll come through (bearing in mind our target) I guess as was mentioned pre Doncaster those thought ready and likely to have a future were included in the squad.

Back
Top Bottom