General Lee Hendrie

Manorlounger

Does anyone else share my dislike of Lee Hendrie as a pundit? I can't bear the sound of his voice, his lack of vocabulary, his nasal tones and his constant repetition of phrases including, "I'll tell you what" and "Brilliant" amongst others.
He constantly pops up as the pundit to EFL matches on Sky and makes my skin crawl.

I remember warming to him when I watched a bit of that Harry's Heroes thing. He was very candid when talking about his struggles after he finished playing.

But as a co-commentator I agree he's dreadful.

Andy Hinchcliffe is a decent co commentator also Matt Holland..I can't recall the guy that did Rangers last night but for someone obviously wanting the Gers to get through he was so professional and even with the clock counting down to the final moments he added to the tension with words, there's a minute left and here come Leipzig again.

Must admit he's nowhere near the top of my pet-hates list - that has to be Robbie Savage. I do also wonder about Jermaine Jenas' ascent, how the hell did that happen, he's neither particularly knowledgeable or charismatic?

As for actual commentators Steve Matterface on ITV must be the worst, can't leave a minute's silence and constantly bombards us with pre-prepared dialogue and useless stats. He's no Brian Moore or Hugh Johns!

Must admit he's nowhere near the top of my pet-hates list - that has to be Robbie Savage. I do also wonder about Jermaine Jenas' ascent, how the hell did that happen, he's neither particularly knowledgeable or charismatic?

As for actual commentators Steve Matterface on ITV must be the worst, can't leave a minute's silence and constantly bombards us with pre-prepared dialogue and useless stats. He's no Brian Moore or Hugh Johns!
now you're talking, you can add to that Barry Davies and Peter Drury + Gerry Harrison

now you're talking, you can add to that Barry Davies and Peter Drury + Gerry Harrison
Oh yes! Also, Peter Brackley and the fabulous Bryon Butler and Peter Jones on BBC Radio but definitely not 'Motty', who I always disliked.

..... agree 100% re Jenas, not that I bother with watching much in the way of PL matches/ coverage, but Jenas - who seems to be like a bad rash all over television, not 'just' football, of late - I've found, is a poor presenter, with all the personality traits and insight of a daffodil

I accidentally once, briefly at that, tuned in to some quasi football-based 'chat' type programme being screened ( on BBC?), - the name content, and presentation of which was so memorable I can't recall it- where Jenas was the main 'presenter', albeit he was speaking, ( as were the other panellists), in practically an alien (to me) language..... and the programme-makers hadn't bothered to provide sub-titles by way of translation. Unwatchable rubbish IMO

Oh yes! Also, Peter Brackley and the fabulous Bryon Butler and Peter Jones on BBC Radio but definitely not 'Motty', who I always disliked.

A bit ‘handsy’ so I hear. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Beeb have another scandal to awkwardly apologise for in the future. Allegedly I add with a lawyer’s hat on.

Motson post-2000 sounded like a malfunctioning football stats robot. He forgot about context and meaning to games in order to blurt out a series of meaningless numbers and references to the laws of the game.

The thinking man’s commentator was always Barry Davies with his less-is-more approach.

As for Matterface. Well, this sums him up.

i will add Ian Darke and Hamilton (Des?) to the decent list also

who was the guy that was often anchorman for the boxing (his name escapes me) anyway he's popped up on various broadcasts as a commentator and always sounds dull and like he'd rather not be there.

..... agree 100% re Jenas, not that I bother with watching much in the way of PL matches/ coverage, but Jenas - who seems to be like a bad rash all over television, not 'just' football, of late - I've found, is a poor presenter, with all the personality traits and insight of a daffodil

I accidentally once, briefly at that, tuned in to some quasi football-based 'chat' type programme being screened ( on BBC?), - the name content, and presentation of which was so memorable I can't recall it- where Jenas was the main 'presenter', albeit he was speaking, ( as were the other panellists), in practically an alien (to me) language..... and the programme-makers hadn't bothered to provide sub-titles by way of translation. Unwatchable rubbish IMO

It wasn’t one of those MOTDx shows was it, Sarge?

Too yoof oriented for me. Hardly down with the kids in my mid thirties nor past it to not understand what ‘peng’ and ‘Netflix and chill’ mean, it went over my head too. Why does everyone scream and fall over laughing when someone is nutmegged? It’s not that funny!

It wasn’t one of those MOTDx shows was it, Sarge?

Too yoof oriented for me. Hardly down with the kids in my mid thirties nor past it to not understand what ‘peng’ and ‘Netflix and chill’ mean, it went over my head too. Why does everyone scream and fall over laughing when someone is nutmegged? It’s not that funny!
think it may well have been a MoTD x

certainly sounds like it in your description

A bit ‘handsy’ so I hear. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Beeb have another scandal to awkwardly apologise for in the future. Allegedly I add with a lawyer’s hat on.

Motson post-2000 sounded like a malfunctioning football stats robot. He forgot about context and meaning to games in order to blurt out a series of meaningless numbers and references to the laws of the game.

The thinking man’s commentator was always Barry Davies with his less-is-more approach.

I actually witnessed our man in action in the late 80s - I worked for a chain of music stores and oversaw video buying. I went to a number of BBC new release launches and everyone was aware and wary of his 'overly affectionate' manner. Over the years I've also been half expecting a story to break.

Every time that MoTD X programme pops up on the telly, my wife (thinking she's being nice) puts it on for me because 'you like football'. It's definitely not aimed at the likes of me, let's put it that way.

Robbie Savage is my least favourite pundit/commentator (although Sam Matterface runs him very close) and 606 with him and Chris Sutton is embarrassing listening, they are like two twelve year olds trying to get one up on each other. Jenas is bland but not unpleasant!

Every time that MoTD X programme pops up on the telly, my wife (thinking she's being nice) puts it on for me because 'you like football'. It's definitely not aimed at the likes of me, let's put it that way.

Robbie Savage is my least favourite pundit/commentator (although Sam Matterface runs him very close) and 606 with him and Chris Sutton is embarrassing listening, they are like two twelve year olds trying to get one up on each other. Jenas is bland but not unpleasant!
they've tried and whilst i've not tuned in for years, surely hard to replace Danny Baker ?

they've tried and whilst i've not tuned in for years, surely hard to replace Danny Baker ?
Remember after one of Danny Baker's intermittent BBC fall-outs (he may have advocated stoning a referee or something similar!), he was replaced by David Mellor. Never was a man so out of touch with the nature of the audience.

As for Sutton & Savage, as soon as Sports Report finishes I'm changing channels. Anything but those two idiots.

Does anyone else share my dislike of Lee Hendrie as a pundit? I can't bear the sound of his voice, his lack of vocabulary, his nasal tones and his constant repetition of phrases including, "I'll tell you what" and "Brilliant" amongst others.
He constantly pops up as the pundit to EFL matches on Sky and makes my skin crawl.

Lee Hendrie just somehow has the wrong voice. I don't know how or why.

Assume that there is someone out there who has Lee Hendrie's actual real voice.

Jenas is safe and nice and very relaxed on TV. I think it's probably as simple as that.

Jenas is safe and nice and very relaxed on TV. I think it's probably as simple as that.
That would make sense. The bloke doesn't irritate me as others do, he's just incredibly bland and seemingly lacking in real insight or even humour, which doesn't differentiate him from most of the TV pundits.

A lawyer would tell you that using the word allegedly doesn't actually protect you from charge of libel, your honour

Back
Top Bottom