League One Weekly Wages 2017-18

How accurate is the information on this website?

Have "footy.com" been provided the wages of every footballer at every club in the football league? I very much doubt it...

How accurate is the information on this website?

Have "footy.com" been provided the wages of every footballer at every club in the football league? I very much doubt it...

they used data from a computer game

When you have a top 6 budget you ought to be going for the playoffs and be making a push for it. If not, it makes sense to consolidate and build a war chest. For some this takes a year or two. For other teams they have to save for 10 years to have a serious push. They wont tell us that of course. 90% of the teams in L1 cant realistically challenge every year so if we have a year like last year where outside the top 2 none were really geared up to go up and horribly inconsistent, we get a Shrewsbury outcome who have "done a Leicester". Not sure that makes their manager Sir Alex though. I heard there are serious concerns about whether they will be able to go up, even if they win the play off, because of their ground?. They also dont have the clout to challenge or stay up and so will come straight back down. I would wager that next year is one of consolidation for us, getting rid of the in not good enough in-contract players and rebuilding from the ground up, with players on 3 year deals, with a view to then seeing where we are in the league table budget-wise the year after. It cannot be a 1 year goal for KR to get us to playoffs or better in year 1, from where we are currently, without breaking the bank. Think we will be about 9th or 10th

When you have a top 6 budget you ought to be going for the playoffs and be making a push for it. If not, it makes sense to consolidate and build a war chest. For some this takes a year or two. For other teams they have to save for 10 years to have a serious push. They wont tell us that of course. 90% of the teams in L1 cant realistically challenge every year so if we have a year like last year where outside the top 2 none were really geared up to go up and horribly inconsistent, we get a Shrewsbury outcome who have "done a Leicester". Not sure that makes their manager Sir Alex though. I heard there are serious concerns about whether they will be able to go up, even if they win the play off, because of their ground?. They also dont have the clout to challenge or stay up and so will come straight back down. I would wager that next year is one of consolidation for us, getting rid of the in not good enough in-contract players and rebuilding from the ground up, with players on 3 year deals, with a view to then seeing where we are in the league table budget-wise the year after. It cannot be a 1 year goal for KR to get us to playoffs or better in year 1, from where we are currently, without breaking the bank. Think we will be about 9th or 10th
We have to go for it next year. Consolidation won't be good enough. Our best players in there final year if we consolidate there's no chance keeping any of them. We have to hit the play offs minimum.

KR has a nack of high finishes so consolidation won't be good enough for him either. He can easily get us in play offs after 1 year.It's about spending smart not the amount you spend.

But isnt that the point? He said they have one year left and he doesnt care either way. That because he needs players who will stay for 3 years as a team to get a good season in, then push for promotion and then have a year where they at least can play together in the Championship until the whole squad is refreshed/improved to Championship level. He made a point of wanting Charlton up to lose another higher budget. Better to sell even the better player with a year left if they dont want another 3 years and move on - although I would break the bank to keep Eastwood. I just hope KR realises how many points a season he has been worth. The rest are replaceable with better players.

Hope you are right of course but we saw against Wigan and Blackburn that we need to upgrade in every position realistically to challenge. Fine margins but they were just that bit better players. Thats what a decent budget gets. If he blows us away with some cracking transfers Im with you but I would have thought if the pockets are bulging money would have been spent by now. I think will be more loanees than transfers, maybe with an option. I think he will tee us up for a "much better season, playing good football, and trying to compete with those with a higher budget". Will be fairly obvious fairly quickly, depending if we get out of the traps or not, whether we can ultimately compete. Fingers crossed. COYY

This is all B*****s. Remember Charlie told us that league positions and budget go hand in hand duh.
I think you need both. Big budget with an excellent manager to invest it. aka jim smith and robert maxwell in 80s, dennis smith and robin herd in the 90s. de and mapp, tiger and kr?

This is all B*****s. Remember Charlie told us that league positions and budget go hand in hand duh.

The huge correlation is between the finishing position and average gate sizes. Generally very accurate although never a perfect science (Accrington, Shrews) Playing budget is often derived from gate and other revenues so it is loosely right, although as we saw last year, any team can hit a sweet spot/shocking momentum and go from top/bottom. Not sure I would back any of the teams coming down to win it next year despite their budgets, just because they have been so poor. Rather back a team with momentum.

The huge correlation is between the finishing position and average gate sizes. Generally very accurate although never a perfect science (Accrington, Shrews) Playing budget is often derived from gate and other revenues so it is loosely right, although as we saw last year, any team can hit a sweet spot/shocking momentum and go from top/bottom. Not sure I would back any of the teams coming down to win it next year despite their budgets, just because they have been so poor. Rather back a team with momentum.
There is a correlation, IF, and its a big f***king IF, you have a very good manger investing the budget AKA Jim Smith/Denis Smith/Mapp/KR.

I don’t buy the crowd size theory other than it generally correlates to squad budget if comparing to the rest of a league. Though I suppose there is the post factum effect , so if the team is doing well then crowds generally increase.

So I’d probably go for these factors for promotion :-
1. Squad budget
2. Director of Football ability to get the right players
3. Coach ability to get results on the pitch and to manage the players as the gaffer.
4. Players’ bonding to win games / not lose
5. Financial stability of the club.

Get 2-5 right and you should end up where 1 ranks you.

Get even one wrong and it could stuff the season up.
See getting it wrong Chesterfield (5). Oufc 2,3,4 perhaps 5. Bury 4 despite 2. Eastleigh 2,3,4. Forest green 2,3,4. Orient 5.

As predicted Wigan and Blackburn.
Unexpected Accrington probably got 2,3,4,5 right. In the past managers like Westley and Evans get 2,3,4 right with Stevenage and Crawley despite 1. But westley has struggled when players don’t buy into 3 and 4.
And for Sunderland they’ll have to turn around 2,3,4,5.

Based on a computer game....................................... about as accurate & relative as many of the fonts of wisdom on this forum then....... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:[emoji41]

I understand ur thinking but think u are underestimating the amount of data fm actually put in. Some clubs genuinely use it as a scouting tool as the data is reasonably reliable

Last edited by a moderator:
It may not be accurate but it’s scary to look at the average wage in the championship compared with league one. There is no chance that a clubs budget will increase sufficiently to cover the staff budget if promoted. It just shows how crazy professional football in England has become.

Astonishing how Accrington performed on the lowest wage bill in L2. Assuming they will not be able to increase the money much in L1 then Coleman will need to work incredibly hard to keep them up next season.

And good luck to him and them.

Unfortunately this is completely unreliable. I'm a huge FM fan, but they set their wage data based on individual club researchers. Each club researcher is unlikely to have any better idea of the wage structure as any of us on here i.e. They make an educated guess which may or may not be informed by snippets of gossip and inside info.

Based on a computer game....................................... about as accurate & relative as many of the fonts of wisdom on this forum then....... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::cool:
If you think that forum post are nonsense why do you waste your time posting. Now. JOG ON.

Back
Top Bottom