League One survival?

As it stands, the bottom 3 cannot catch us up in terms of points. Get a draw Saturday and it is done and dusted - Rochdale will be on 49 points with 1 game to play, we'll be on 54.

The chances of every team below us suddenly finding a bit of form is remote. Gillingham haven't won in 8 games and have Bristol Rovers away followed by play-off chasing Plymouth at Priestfield. I'd be amazed if they got any more than a point from those two games. The likelihood is they will lose both such is their form. Wimbledon's next three games are Wigan (a), Doncaster (a) and Bury (h) - you'd have to say they should be able to get 3 points from at least one of those games. Rochdale have us on Saturday (they fail to win that, everything becomes irrelevant) and then a tough game at home to play-off chasing Charlton.

Walsall have Northampton at home, Bradford away and Fleetwood away - their form has also been patchy at best - possibly their best hope is the game at home to Northampton, but Northampton have suddenly found a bit of fight in them and you can see them fancying their chances at Walsall). Oldham are home to Doncaster Saturday and away to Northampton last game of the season. Although Northampton can't catch us, if we were to lose on Saturday, they could have a very important role to play with their last two games both being against the two teams directly above them. Their game against Oldham could end up being a winner-takes-all League One survival. So there are a lot of permutations in all that. It is still possible we could go down, but it is highly unlikely barring a run of miraculous results going against us.

It is of course all irrelevant if we don't lose on Saturday.

Last edited:
I reckon Walsall could slip into the bottom 4. Oldham seem permanent residents of L1 and they have been at least picking up draws unlike Walsall (record in last 10: 2-1-7).

Of course both could go down with Northampton staying up as they still have both to play.

Sneaking suspicion that Northampton will get out of it, more's the pity.

I reckon Walsall could slip into the bottom 4. Oldham seem permanent residents of L1 and they have been at least picking up draws unlike Walsall (record in last 10: 2-1-7).

Of course both could go down with Northampton staying up as they still have both to play.

Yes I personally think they’ll survive too. Very fortunate remaining fixtures for them which effectively feels like it’s in their hands.

Oldham win last 2,we draw 1 lose 1.
We both finish up on 54 points.

...but that would of course entail all other clubs in the mix (Walsall, Rochdale, AFCW) getting to at least 55 points (I think).

Permutations are making my head hurt but I think that’s grossly unlikely.

...but that would of course entail all other clubs in the mix (Walsall, Rochdale, AFCW) getting to at least 55 points (I think).

Permutations are making my head hurt but I think that’s grossly unlikely.

Well Oldham and Rochdale can only get to 54 points if that helps.

Northampton at the Kassam guarantees a good attendance. Would you rather Fleetwood or Oldham? We need bums on seats and the cobblers or what ever they are called guarantees that. It is all about cash at the end of the day, whatever your preferences might be.

If you're not listening properly it can sound like Warsaw though.

A part of me is utterly delighted to see Bury and Northampton in trouble. Absolutely threw shedloads of cash at it in the summer. Their squads are stupid for this level on paper.

But with poor managers or players lacking ambition thats what happens.

Give a bad manager lots of cash, you might as well P**s it up the wall.

Northampton at the Kassam guarantees a good attendance. Would you rather Fleetwood or Oldham? We need bums on seats and the cobblers or what ever they are called guarantees that. It is all about cash at the end of the day, whatever your preferences might be.

Well we're 99.9% certain to have Fleetwood next season anyway and to answer your question, yes I would rather play Oldham or Rochdale or Walsall than those C***s even if it means 500 or so less 'bums on seats' next season. Plus you are overlooking the fact we'll be on the march with KR's army, storming the league and packing the ground out every week anyway. And if we're not all the three that I mention offer a much better 'away day' (well perhaps not Oldham).

I wouldn't mind Northampton staying up because it would probably mean we stuffed Rochdale at the weekend.

I fancy Northampton to win at Walsall to be honest and that leaves Walsall in the cart as well with Fleetwood away and Shrewsbury away as their final 2

Back
Top Bottom