League Cup League cup under threat?

Left Wing Cross

Will increasing fixtures in the Champions league effectively kill the league cup? FA cup replays could be under threat too.

So, I know this may be a controversial opinion - because the League Cup has given our club its greatest moment.....and has delivered some pretty great memories even in the last few years - but I'm not sure I disagree with doing away with the competition myself.

It used to be a second chance for lower league clubs to take a shot at the top division clubs and some cup glory.
But nowadays it's frequently only a chance to take a shot at a Premier League reserve side who really couldn't care less; meanwhile the prize money is derisory, and there's very little money to be made unless you can make it onto TV in the later stages of the competition (pfew!)

Absurdly, unless you get a very favourable draw (as we have done), it's probably easier to make money in the EFL Trophy thanks to the PL B Team handouts.

So I would abandon the competition. Add the Championship teams to the EFL Trophy in place of the B teams - which would still leave the prospect of some fun ties against big clubs, and a trip to Wembley - and shorten everyone else's fixture lists with one fewer competition.

So, I know this may be a controversial opinion - because the League Cup has given our club its greatest moment.....and has delivered some pretty great memories even in the last few years - but I'm not sure I disagree with doing away with the competition myself.

It used to be a second chance for lower league clubs to take a shot at the top division clubs and some cup glory.
But nowadays it's frequently only a chance to take a shot at a Premier League reserve side who really couldn't care less; meanwhile the prize money is derisory, and there's very little money to be made unless you can make it onto TV in the later stages of the competition (pfew!)

Absurdly, unless you get a very favourable draw (as we have done), it's probably easier to make money in the EFL Trophy thanks to the PL B Team handouts.

So I would abandon the competition. Add the Championship teams to the EFL Trophy in place of the B teams - which would still leave the prospect of some fun ties against big clubs, and a trip to Wembley - and shorten everyone else's fixture lists with one fewer competition.

Not for historical reasons but I am a fan of the League Cup. We wouldn't have had our back up players tonking West Ham's back up players on a superb night so for me this competition has its place. And with Sunderland gave us 2 big crowds.

I would be surprised if the League Cup exists in 5 years time.
Mind you I have been expecting a European League for years now and I still reckon that will come ( the expanding of the CL is a further move in that direction)

The attitude of Premier League clubs (and particularly the arrogance of Klopp and Liverpool) have effectively killed off the League Cup

They could stop making the League Cup semi finals over two legs. Wouldn’t be the end of the world and would reduce games.

Keep the Efl trophy dear god are people serious? Football league clubs already play more games then the premiershi*e but we all have to do as they want. They say they need a break and when they have one they'll be off to the far east for the money with exhibition games etc.
The world club cup what is the point? that should be first to go but of course there's money to be made there
how about some crazy idea and return the champions league to a knockout like it use to be and for League winners only and then you'll really see just how far behind some clubs are and who would then address it rather than be happy to aim for 4th and celebrate every season.
They could always do a scotland and have just 10 teams in the top league home and away just the once though
or better still set up the European League quickly then do away with the satellite dishes etc and have the proper leagues for proper fans back on terrestial tv.

The attitude of Premier League clubs (and particularly the arrogance of Klopp and Liverpool) have effectively killed off the League Cup
Why the arrogance of Klopp? The Liverpool situation this year can't be blamed on him. What else was he supposed to do?

Back
Top Bottom