League One League 1 transfers - Summer 2021 (non Oxford)

Midfielder Ben Reeves has signed for Gillingham after his release by Plymouth.

Jayden Stockley has signed for Charlton on a 3 year deal. For an undisclosed fee.
Pompey missed out on him and their captain joined Wigan.
Even with the Crowleys, I suspect that some Pompey fans are a little worried. It sounds like a total rebuild.

Pompey missed out on him and their captain joined Wigan.
Even with the Crowleys, I suspect that some Pompey fans are a little worried. It sounds like a total rebuild.

Apparently this is standard Cowleys' approach. They will hold out for targets if necessary and happy to wait to later so the Pompey fans should get used to waiting like we normally do.

Defender Max Ehmer has returned to Gillingham on a free transfer from Bristol Rovers.

A good few players have turned down deals with Pompey. Why offer deals if you don’t actually want the players? It’s not as if they’re under 24 and can get a development fee.
I’d be a bit worried if I was a Portsmouth fan.

A good few players have turned down deals with Pompey. Why offer deals if you don’t actually want the players? It’s not as if they’re under 24 and can get a development fee.
I’d be a bit worried if I was a Portsmouth fan.

I think it is a PR thing for the Cowleys as Lincoln fans have said they did the same there. Basically, they can say the players chose to leave rather than the Cowleys didn't want them. Personally I think it is an irrelevant distinction with a reduced offer to a player but I can imagine it could counter some potential criticism early on from some supporters.

I think it is a PR thing for the Cowleys as Lincoln fans have said they did the same there. Basically, they can say the players chose to leave rather than the Cowleys didn't want them. Personally I think it is an irrelevant distinction with a reduced offer to a player but I can imagine it could counter some potential criticism early on from some supporters.
Sounds like a weak manager. Have the strength in your own convictions.

Are the cowleys actually as good as they think they are i mean don’t get me wrong they did a superb job at Lincoln but they didn’t really do anything at Huddersfield and wasn’t great in the end last season for Pompey I’d be abit worried if I was a Pompey fan especially with the amount of players they are trying to get rid off also Pompey have just started work redeveloping the stadium so maybe money is tight down there

Sounds like a weak manager. Have the strength in your own convictions.

I'm only paraphrasing some lIncoln fans but it does come over that way. Albeit I suppose keeping fans onside may make the earlier stages of their reign easier if it doesn't start great.

Burton sign 25 year old central midfielder Bryn Morris on a free transfer from Pompey. Burton have also already signed winger Omari Patrick from Carlisle, left back Cameron Borthwick-Jackson from Oldham and centre-back Deji Oshilaja from Charlton all also on free transfers.

Plymouth sign centre-back Macaulay Gillesphey from Brisbane Roar on a 2 year contract. Ex Newcastle United youth and Carlisle United player.

Andy Cannon has left Pompey and signed for Hull City on a free transfer.

We
Are the cowleys actually as good as they think they are i mean don’t get me wrong they did a superb job at Lincoln but they didn’t really do anything at Huddersfield and wasn’t great in the end last season for Pompey I’d be abit worried if I was a Pompey fan especially with the amount of players they are trying to get rid off also Pompey have just started work redeveloping the stadium so maybe money is tight down there
Be interesting to see what sort of football they are looking to play - it was physical, organised and functional at Lincoln, which is fine if you are getting results but horrible to watch if you aren't. They left at the right time, before their reputation was affected and Appleton rebuilt the team entirely in his image.

Basically a fire sale going on at Pompey. Anyone else we fancy? Sounds like we could get them on the cheap.

Basically a fire sale going on at Pompey. Anyone else we fancy? Sounds like we could get them on the cheap.

I don't think it is a fire sale, rather clearing the decks to rebuild the squad as the Cowleys want it. After all Pompey just missed out on Stockley and they'd agreed the same/similar fee as Charlton (£250k+ if reports are true) and his wages wouldn't have come cheap either.

Back
Top Bottom