League One League 1 Team of the Season

Jackinthebox

League One team of the season​

Goalkeeper : Michael Cooper

Defenders : Jack Whatmough – Michael Ihiekwe – Harry Darling – Wes Burns

Midfielders : James McClean – Barry Bannan – Dan Barlaser – Scott Twine

Strikers : Michael Smith – Ross Stewart

Manager : Leam Richardson

Stockton missing is a disgrace. Obviously Morecambe aren’t flashy enough for him to be included.

McLeary not getting in either after his season at Wycombe is a surprise.

Personally think a certain Mr. Brannagan can feel hard done by, too. 14 goals from centre midfield is a ridiculously good return and he's outscored some proper decent attackers at this level. Probably a case of yellow tinted glasses.

5 penalties though, Brannagan has had a good season but the other 4 named in that team have had better seasons and all play for teams still in the promotion hunt.

Do penalties not count or something?

Well they do to the score sheet. Scoring 5 penalties isn't the equivalent to scoring 5 from open play and I bet even Cameron would agree with that.

Well they do to the score sheet. Scoring 5 penalties isn't the equivalent to scoring 5 from open play and I bet even Cameron would agree with that.
They do count... But really they don't count? What about goals from set pieces? Direct free kicks? A goal is a goal.

Most of Taylor's are from about a yard so I'm not sure they should count.
I think anything inside the six yard box should be given as half a goal. A penalty a quarter of a goal and anything outside the box as 2 goals. Anything inside the box but not in the six yard box should be one standard goal. If it's from your own half the game ends with the team who scored that goal winning no matter the scoreline. Simple isn't it?

• React
Reactions: MJB
They do count... But really they don't count? What about goals from set pieces? Direct free kicks? A goal is a goal.

But a free kick is harder to score than a penalty due to a wall of players being allowed to stand 10 yards away. I could be subbed on everytime we win a penalty and score 10 every season, would that make me a good player?

Cam is a great player at this level and probably would of made the list if we were in the top 2 but with Twine scoring 16 and assisting 13 it's not surprising he didn't.

But a free kick is harder to score than a penalty due to a wall of players being allowed to stand 10 yards away. I could be subbed on everytime we win a penalty and score 10 every season, would that make me a good player?
You could miss them, does that make you a bad player?

The whole "penalties are easier" argument is a load of rubbish. It's the kind thing the likes of Kip believe

You could miss them, does that make you a bad player?

The whole "penalties are easier" argument is a load of rubbish. It's the kind thing the likes of Kip believe

But what I'm saying is scoring a penalty doesn't require fitness, stamina or even much skill. It's striking a ball 12 yards out.

But what I'm saying is scoring a penalty doesn't require fitness, stamina or even much skill. It's striking a ball 12 yards out.
Ah, so you'll be our penalty taker next season seeing as anyone can do it?

Hmmm, two of our best players Taylor and Henry made right pigs ears of penalties this season.

Cam is a great player at this level and probably would of made the list if we were in the top 2 but with Twine scoring 16 and assisting 13 it's not surprising he didn't.
but using your argument, Cam is a great player but can only make that team if we are top 2, That's not what a League 11 should represent is it?

Back
Top Bottom