League 1 next season

• Thread starter Deleted member 222
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 222

So looking at the sides that we think will make up the league next season do we think it's a stronger or weaker league?

I think it will be consist of:

Oxford
Ipswich
Bolton
Rotherham
Lincoln
Bury
Mansfield
Tranmere
Sunderland
Charlton
Doncaster
Peterborough
Coventry
Burton
Blackpool
Fleetwood
Shrewsbury
Bristol Rovers
Gillingham
Accrington
Rochdale
Plymouth
Scunthorpe
Wimbledon

Looking at those sides you would expect Charlton, Sunderland, Doncaster and Peterborough to be up there. Lincoln I'd expect to start strongly but tail off. I can see Bolton, Ipswich and Rotherham all struggling to go straight back up. We 3 strong sides in Pompey, Barnsley and Luton. If that was the league I'd certainly hope we could mount a push for a play off place.

If they are the teams, then it will be interesting to see what happens with the finances of a few (including us!).

Sunderland may have to have a major rethink as, despite anything said to the contrary, they were definitely banking on going straight back up. The sides coming down usually go straight back up, but Bolton are skint (with a even more dodgy new owner!) and Ipswich are nothing special. Coming up, Bury are also on the brink and won't have much to spend and Lincoln whilst having a settled, and winning side, won't have huge money to throw at the league.

I would definitely think that the league will be weaker, and the building we've done this season should help us challenge the top end. I'd certainly think that we'd be top 8, and possibly higher if we recruit properly.

I suspect we will finish in a similar position to this year, but have a much calmer season and probably challenge for the playoffs for a time. Which would be fine if we have a bit of a cup run and turn over the leading teams a couple of times

You think Wycombe will go down not Wimbledon. Not that those two teams will be challenging at the top.

as long as we don't spend 3/4 of the season in the relegation zone I'll be happy!
think the league will be pretty much the same - 6 or 7 decent teams at the top, most of the others about the same and a couple of p#ss poor teams fighting for their lives.
as for us, will all depend on who we keep and how we do with summer recruitments but would like a top ten finish

Long way to go yet to decide who we will face next year.....

…..but whichever way it goes, I think the league next year will be marginally weaker.

Whoever goes up - unless Doncaster crash the party late, it's going to be three of the eight sides with the biggest crowds and presumably biggest budgets in the division.

Meanwhile of the sides coming down - I'm sure Ipswich will be strong (their wage bill last year was at least three times the size of ours, and they're bankrolled by a rich fan, Marcus Evans), but Bolton are an absolute basket case and may well need to do some significant cost-cutting. If the third team is Rotherham, then they'll be competitive but not intimidating.

At the bottom - in Bradford, we're losing the team with the third highest gates, presumably a decent-sized budget and who have woefully underachieved this season. Alongside them, there's some other moderately-sized clubs that could go still (Plymouth, Southend, Walsall, Scunthorpe) whilst the teams with the smallest resources (Accrington, Rochdale, probably AFCW) could stay up.

Of the teams that could replace them - only MK Dons are a team that you would think could have significant financial resources. I guess it's possible that resurgent Lincoln could pull a Luton but the other teams in the frame look like a combination of middle-of-the-road lower league teams (Tranmere, Mansfield), middle-of-the-road lower league teams in financial meltdown (Bury) and comparative minnows (Exeter, Forest Green). I'd be surprised if any of them was top six League One next season.

…..but whichever way it goes, I think the league next year will be marginally weaker.

Whoever goes up - unless Doncaster crash the party late, it's going to be three of the eight sides with the biggest crowds and presumably biggest budgets in the division.

Meanwhile of the sides coming down - I'm sure Ipswich will be strong (their wage bill last year was at least three times the size of ours, and they're bankrolled by a rich fan, Marcus Evans), but Bolton are an absolute basket case and may well need to do some significant cost-cutting. If the third team is Rotherham, then they'll be competitive but not intimidating.

At the bottom - in Bradford, we're losing the team with the third highest gates, presumably a decent-sized budget and who have woefully underachieved this season. Alongside them, there's some other moderately-sized clubs that could go still (Plymouth, Southend, Walsall, Scunthorpe) whilst the teams with the smallest resources (Accrington, Rochdale, probably AFCW) could stay up.

Of the teams that could replace them - only MK Dons are a team that you would think could have significant financial resources. I guess it's possible that resurgent Lincoln could pull a Luton but the other teams in the frame look like a combination of middle-of-the-road lower league teams (Tranmere, Mansfield), middle-of-the-road lower league teams in financial meltdown (Bury) and comparative minnows (Exeter, Forest Green). I'd be surprised if any of them was top six League One next season.

Small point but Forest Green won't be lacking resources with Dale Vince's backing.

No points deduction (I believe) next season following Bolton’s takeover.

Disagree. Think League 1 will be much weaker next season. Up to the bow tied maestro as to how we do.

Back
Top Bottom