League 1 - Bolton, Bury & Coventry

its been said before ... and on this thread too... how the EFL passed Dale as a fit and proper person to run a football club is totally mystifying
It seems that he was rushed through because the EFL feared the club would be dead by the time the proper checks were done, so they just let him take it. The irony being that they’re now saying they could potentially give a 24-48 hour extension if it looks like there’s a genuine buyer, so they’re basically setting themselves up for the same thing all over again.

What I think this shows more than anything, as has been said already, is that the EFL are completely and utterly incompetent. Nobody there is fit to be in their jobs or has the slightest clue what the hell they’re doing.

It seems that he was rushed through because the EFL feared the club would be dead by the time the proper checks were done, so they just let him take it. The irony being that they’re now saying they could potentially give a 24-48 hour extension if it looks like there’s a genuine buyer, so they’re basically setting themselves up for the same thing all over again.

What I think this shows more than anything, as has been said already, is that the EFL are completely and utterly incompetent. Nobody there is fit to be in their jobs or has the slightest clue what the hell they’re doing.

EFL are setting quite a precedent in the way it's dealing with Bury and Bolton. Potentially useful to other clubs finding themselves in similar situations in the future.

One other sad thing for me.....Bury are now about 6 hours from extinction.
The BBC has written a couple of articles detailing the evolving situation. But are they on the front page of the football section? Are they heck.
Instead there's an article about Fernando Torres, an article about what Pep thinks of David Silva, an interview with Xabi Alonso and an article about whether Aaron Ramsey will start for Juve.

I'm not even sure I blame them, because it probably reflects the interests of their readership. But the potential demise of a 134 year old football club is apparently less important than European football puff pieces...….

The BBC has written a couple of articles detailing the evolving situation. But are they on the front page of the football section? Are they heck.
Instead there's an article about Fernando Torres, an article about what Pep thinks of David Silva, an interview with Xabi Alonso and an article about whether Aaron Ramsey will start for Juve.

I'm not even sure I blame them, because it probably reflects the interests of their readership. But the potential demise of a 134 year old football club is apparently less important than European football puff pieces...….
only the PL and equivalent or even above levels constitute football as far as most 'news' editors are concerned.... anything played below that level may as well be sunday league level
Albeit a long time ago now, early 1900's(?) Bury twice won FA Cup

EFL are to blame for the sorry n sad situation IMO

Sad in the extreme. Talk all you like about 'sticking to the EFL rules or face the consequences' but Bury fans are being deprived of their club, through no fault of their own and due to external forces who clearly have no interest in the future of that club.

Ironically, they may ultimately get their club back but it will be way down the football pyramid under the guise of AFC Bury (or whatever it will be called).

Yes indeed and literally a month's worth of a top Premier League Footballer's wages could save a club with 134 years of history. This raises an interesting point. The Neville brother's father was the Bury Commercial Director if memory serves, they'd have enough money to save the club if so minded but I wonder if their involvement at Salford City precludes this based on the no more than 10% of a second club rule.

A month's worth? More likely a day or less. Ole Gunnar sulkshire said he'd help out. So why kick them out of your training facility for misdemeanour? How about donating a weeks wages from all your players? It's suggested to be £200m pa. De gea will hardly miss his £375k this month

Never get why premier league players/clubs should save terribly run lower league clubs? That’s not a solution to the the problem is it, lower league player wages dropping to a realistic level is.

Never get why premier league players/clubs should save terribly run lower league clubs? That’s not a solution to the the problem is it, lower league player wages dropping to a realistic level is.

Finally someone who sees sense.

I’ve had enough of people going on about how the premier league should bail out Bury and others but at the same time moaning about the possibility of prem b teams being in the league.

You can’t pick and choose when you want the premier league involved with FL clubs.

What should happen is that clubs have to be accountable for themselves, some kind of licensing system that they have to earn each season before they can start the season.

Maybe this could involve paying some kind of bond or deposit to the FL that would be used to ensure staff/players are paid should things go wrong as they have at Bury.

A month's worth? More likely a day or less. Ole Gunnar sulkshire said he'd help out. So why kick them out of your training facility for misdemeanour? How about donating a weeks wages from all your players? It's suggested to be £200m pa. De gea will hardly miss his £375k this month
It’s Man City’s old Carrington ground that Bury have been using. Nothing to do with Man United.

My post said one footballer's monthly wage rather than that of a team on the assumption that Bury need about £1m to survive - I don't think any of them are on £1m a day (yet!)

I agree and I'm not saying they should - I was merely trying to show the incredible disparity of financial wealth in the game given that pocket change for one player could save a whole football club. The EFL are to blame here to a huge degree - fit and proper test my a**e.

I’ve had enough of people going on about how the premier league should bail out Bury and others but at the same time moaning about the possibility of prem b teams being in the league.

You can’t pick and choose when you want the premier league involved with FL clubs.

What should happen is that clubs have to be accountable for themselves, some kind of licensing system that they have to earn each season before they can start the season.

Maybe this could involve paying some kind of bond or deposit to the FL that would be used to ensure staff/players are paid should things go wrong as they have at Bury.
Maybe it needs a Bury and Bolton to make other clubs realise it could happen to them. I shan't hold my breath though given that it's up to the owners of each club who don't really have any lasting loyalty to their charges.

Nah, better way to run an independent business is to get a load of prem players to have a whip round every now and then.

Maybe it needs a Bury and Bolton to make other clubs realise it could happen to them. I shan't hold my breath though given that it's up to the owners of each club who don't really have any lasting loyalty to their charges.

Sadly, I'm not sure a club like Bury going bust would change anything. Small club, limited fanbase, have only spent two years out of the bottom two divisions since the 60s......their demise (if they can't be saved) will probably be met with the same shrugs at the top of the game that met the similar demise of Darlo or Hereford or Halifax or Chester.

If Bolton go under, though, that may open some more eyes. 11 years in the Premier League this millennium; two runs in the UEFA Cup not much more than a decade ago; 30,000 all-seater stadium - that's still been half-full most of the time since they were relegated from the PL.

Outside of probably the top six in the PL, that really could be the fate of any club if they played all their cards wrong (as Bolton have).

Not that I think the Premier League has any morale obligation to save clubs lower down the pyramid. But they might consider some better form of safety net, if only for self-interest.

Was
I agree and I'm not saying they should - I was merely trying to show the incredible disparity of financial wealth in the game given that pocket change for one player could save a whole football club. The EFL are to blame here to a huge degree - fit and proper test my a**e.

Wasn’t having a go at anyone, just think that clubs in the lower leagues need to stop looking at the premier league and just concentrate on themselves, the wealth disparity makes that even more important.

The prem is a massively successful international league that generates billions, that explains the money up there, it doesn’t excuse Bury or Bolton being run badly.

apparently Dale accepted bid for takeover from Alistair Campbell son!!
talk about leaving it late

Back
Top Bottom