Other European Latest England squad...

Eric Dier robs a living as a premier league footballer, absolutely terrible.

As said above, very strange unbalanced squad. Also why Trippier and not Wan-Bissaka?

Odd choice from Southgate. How anyone could argue that Grealish isn’t one of the best 24 English players is beyond me.

All about opinions but i don't rate the guy.

Jack Grealish in the 19/20 Premier League [rank among English players]:

184 shot-creating actions [1st]
167 fouls suffered [1st]
91 chances created [1st]
79 passes into the box [2nd]
73 successful take-ons [3rd]
6 assists [=4th]

Can you honestly say Ward-Prowse and Winks deserve to be in the squad ahead of him?

Jack Grealish singlehandedly kept Aston Villa in the Premier League. He almost never loses possession and can keep the ball in any area of the pitch, while playing several different roles and positions. So obviously the logical choice is Eric Dier and Kalvin Phillips, who has never played a single game in the top flight. Even people who aren’t sure on Grealish can’t deny that he’s a better pick than at least one of those selections.

Pleased to see Foden and Greenwood involved, but also Danny Ings who earned his place on merit after a fantastic season. Not a single left back is mad, though. I know Chilwell is injured and I don’t like Rose much, but even if someone else starts at least pick a left back for the squad. Saka would be an interesting choice - was superb for Arsenal in the second half of last season. Why not at least have him around?

My biggest worry with England isn’t the squad selections. It’s the slow, ponderous style of play which means that going behind becomes a crisis, because breaking teams down is difficult due to a lack of pace and intensity. So many young, exciting, attacking players who as soon as they get called up are suddenly told to pump the brakes and play at 50%, and to knock the ball around slowly from side to side for 90 minutes. There’s a potential golden generation bubbling at the moment. I really hope they aren’t suffocated.

I’ve watched Saka a lot at left back for Arsenal and he seems decent - pacy, likes to get forward but can also put a tackle in. Still young and learning of course, but I can’t see who in the squad is going to play better at left back than he would have.

I see he was also 3rd in the Arsenal player of the year awards and whoscored.com had him as Europa League young player of the season - the point being, he was in good form this season. It doesn’t make sense picking three right backs over him.

I’ve watched Saka a lot at left back for Arsenal and he seems decent - pacy, likes to get forward but can also put a tackle in. Still young and learning of course, but I can’t see who in the squad is going to play better at left back than he would have.

I see he was also 3rd in the Arsenal player of the year awards and whoscored.com had him as Europa League young player of the season - the point being, he was in good form this season. It doesn’t make sense picking three right backs over him.

?

I've generally been a big Southgate fan, he's breathed life into a national side that has been a chore to watch for the extent of my footballing life, but the Grealish thing is actively weird at this point. What could the reasoning possibly be for excluding him?

Off the field issues? He's got Maguire and Walker in, so can't be that, plus he's club captain, so clearly a good influence in the dressing room despite off the field indiscretions. He doesn't rate that kind of attacking midfielder? Fine, but then why include Foden and Mount, who play essentially the same role, are less versatile and, in Mount's case at least, simply aren't as good?

Only bloody Kevin De Bruyne created more chances in the Prem last year, and he's in the conversation for best player in the world and is playing in an elite footballing machine (rather than the hastily assembled team of cloggers that turn out at Villa Park every other weekend).

Also, some of the exclusions and loyalties are baffling and frutrating in equal measure. Bertrand and Saka (as mentioned) have had very good seasons at LB - where are they? Michael Keane is not realistically going to be a defender of the quality England need - why not try Holgate, O'Connell, Dunk or Coady (off the top of my head)?

I can see the argument for not changing the squad drastically each selection to allow for some continuity and team spirit to develop (hence, I imagine, the continued inclusion of Trippier and Dier), but the continued exclusion of Grealish is totally incomprehensible.

Grealish should be in this squad.
Saka should be given a chance at left back.
Conor Coady deserves a chance at centre half over Keane.

Grealish should be in this squad.
Saka should be given a chance at left back.
Conor Coady deserves a chance at centre half over Keane.

Keane is a very average player. I’d certainly go with Cody. It’s whether we are going to play a back 3 but even then Saka is an excellent LWB!

Maybe we are waiting the see what the other nations have coming through before we pinch an up and coming Scottish or Irish left back?

Has anybody seen those horror shows of a football shirt that bike have produced for the national team for the euros imho awful

I saw this on the Sun app and thought you'd be interested

England launch new home kit inspired by iconic France 98 shirt but fans are NOT impressed… and it will cost £100

Back
Top Bottom