Ex Player Last Pick in PE XI

All I remember is he didn’t look like a footballer and had a really weird posture - as well as not being great.

He wasn't so bad. Workman like sure. Wilder kept playing him on the wing as he played Murray in behind Beano. He made some contributions to our run up the league where we almost made the playoffs.

To be honest I think even that would have been overpriced...

Ha. I must have subconsciously applied a more appropriate transfer fee!

Maybe I’m just bitter that the GvK song incorporating this advert’s song never took off...

Gino van Kessel. I once had the pleasure of watching him warm up. Close quarters at AFCW. The coach (don't know who) would throw a ball in the air and Gino would try and volley/half volley into the top corner. The goal was temporary, dragged over into the corner of the pitch. Of the ten or so I saw, not one hit the target. Two were hit out of the ground, most were scuffed wide. One hit a female spectator in the face, knocking her glasses off. Gino appeared to treat it all as a bit of a laugh, shrugging his shoulders at every mis hit. On the plus side, he seemed a nice bloke, and went to help the lady he had inadvertently tried to decapitate. On the minus side, he appeared to have almost no technical ability at all.

Over the last few weeks on T'Manor podcast, we've been building a "Last Pick in PE" XI of the some of the poorer players to have pulled on a yellow shirt. Either through one off horror appearances, consistently being under average or being memorable for the wrong reasons, we've slowly worked our way through a lineup for a 4-4-2.

Currently, we're running a poll to take one of the wide positions with choices from Courtney Pitt, Gino van Kessel, Kieron St Amie and Simon Hackney. This poll can be found at
Take a look, pass on your comments and more importantly, cast your vote!
There will be a second poll for the other wide position some time next week. We appreciate that everyone has different opinions so we're open to hearing as many of them as possible and then try to make room to discuss them on future episodes. We're not expecting everyone to agree with every position, that's the beauty of the polls and we have seen a fair amount of debate as we've gone through the weeks.
The XI as stands is:
GK - Mike Salmon
RB - Dwight Tiendalli
CB - Ben Futcher
CB - Leo Roget
LB - Tom Newey

T'Manor podcast is put together by a group of Oxford fans who are all based or have been based in Yorkshire and are members of the Yorkshire Yellows supporters group. We generally release a new episode every Sunday night/Monday morning with content including match reviews, match previews, a L1 wrapup, an on this day feature and a OUFC themed quiz. You can follow our twitter feed at https://twitter.com/t_manorpodcast whilst our 15 episodes so far are available to listen at
Good work on the podcast. Been looking for an OUFC podcast lately without success, now subscribed to yours.

That was the first single I ever owned. I had one of those turntables with the big spike in the middle that would let you load up 5 or so singles to play, but as I only had 1 single, I would leave the arm open and it would keep playing the same song. Must have driven my parents mad ? Still love the track.

Arthur Gnohere the worst with Jeannin a close runner up.

He created a bit of cult following but Brian Wilsterman was actually useless. And considering the career he had before us and that he was not really past it when he joined Peter Fear was useless too.

Wiiiiiiiiillllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll....... definite "cult" following...

Rufus Brevett falls into that category too. Except he was definitely past it.

Our entire defence was past it that year. Phil Gilchrist was 34, Gavin Johnson was 36 and Brevett was 37. Plenty of last-hurrahs in there!

Brevett wasn’t terrible in comparison to Dwight Tiandalli (who looked like a drunk trying to play football) or Arthur Gnohere (who probably was good at some point, but was knackered, never fit and never a longer term prospect for us). He was showing his age and whenever anyone young and pacey came up against him, he sat back, but I don’t recall any horror shows from him.

Arthur Gnohere the worst with Jeannin a close runner up.

He created a bit of cult following but Brian Wilsterman was actually useless. And considering the career he had before us and that he was not really past it when he joined Peter Fear was useless too.

If Peter Fear doesn't walk the vote for one of the central midfield spots, then we should cancel future polling!

The guy had 100+ games in the Premier League behind him, came to us and demonstrated not one single quality you'd expect from a professional footballer. Couldn't pass, couldn't tackle, had no particular positional sense, was slow, lethargic, unmotivated and generally pathetic.

Don't think he ever played in the league again after Oxford...….

Brevett looked like he'd been a footballer, even Tiendalli and Gnohere looked like they'd had a brief encounter with a ball but Jeannin seemed to regard the ball as an ill-intentioned alien.

My vote would go to Guy Whittingham as one of the worst strikers that we have ever had.

Last edited:
  • React
Reactions: m
???? The only player that looked like scoring for the few games we had him. Didn’t he score at Swindon too?
Far worse players to have pulled on the yellow shirt.

Wasn't it a single game?

100% goalscoring record per game? Against swindon too?

A truly odd choice.

Back
Top Bottom