Ex Player Last Pick in PE XI

Youngsters of today.....don't know what they missed.

After the 2000/01 season of seeing some combination of Richardson/Robertson/McGuckin/Jarman/McGowan & Hatswell concede 100 goals in a single league campaign......I don't believe any Oxford defense will ever look quite as incompetent again......

Some of those names make me shudder. Myself and a couple of others on the pod have put forward some of these names and they've made the final vote. None of them have made it into the XI though!

Some of those names make me shudder. Myself and a couple of others on the pod have put forward some of these names and they've made the final vote. None of them have made it into the XI though!
McGukin and Jarman... I've tried so long to forget that partnership, what a shocking team we had that season. Undoubtedly the worst centre halves I have ever seen.

I remember being stood on the open terrace away at Macclesfield once when Courtney Pitt was playing for us. He ran the ball out of play right down in front of our fans and I heard someone shout loudly at him “Pitt, why don’t you just f***ing die”. Thought it was a bit harsh ?

Robinson was very bad, Duffy was good in the air. Some of these names weren’t terrible, they just didn’t play very often

Worse striker has to be midson or Duffy or a special mention Marvin Robinson

Midson or Duffy?

Midson scored at a rate of better than 1 in 4 (including subs), and Duffy scored at a rate of better than 1 in 3. Both had weaknesses, but neither merit a mention in this conversation.

Marvin Robinson on the other hand, certainly does.

As would Steve Anthrobus, and Kristaps Grebis, and Ben Abbey.

I want to add Nick Cusack......but actually I don't think he was probably that bad. He just happened to be the #1 scapegoat when I first started going to Oxford games

McGukin and Jarman... I've tried so long to forget that partnership, what a shocking team we had that season. Undoubtedly the worst centre halves I have ever seen.

The Titanic now still has a better turning circle and is faster than those 2 when they were playing for us.

Salmon
Hunt McGukin Jarman Brevett
Ledgister Hutchinson Fear Andrade
Robinson Anthrobus​

Midson or Duffy?

Midson scored at a rate of better than 1 in 4 (including subs), and Duffy scored at a rate of better than 1 in 3. Both had weaknesses, but neither merit a mention in this conversation.

Marvin Robinson on the other hand, certainly does.

As would Steve Anthrobus, and Kristaps Grebis, and Ben Abbey.

I want to add Nick Cusack......but actually I don't think he was probably that bad. He just happened to be the #1 scapegoat when I first started going to Oxford games

Grebis has to be a contender. There has been worse than Ben Abbey, Jamie Guy springs to mind.

Cusack was definitely a scapegoat but Swansea (iirc), his next club worked out he was a centre-half/defensive midfielder rather than how we used him. Was a key part of their rise through the leagues (again iirc).

I'm genuinely struggling to remember a lot of the Conference players in the middle seasons, which may be a good thing. Unfortunately I can remember Ricky Sappleton and he has to be a contender as well.

The Titanic now still has a better turning circle and is faster than those 2 when they were playing for us.

We could of got better centre half’s than these two from local football, they were totally unfit.

I have always wondered how we ended up as bad as did that season, I get that Kassam cut the budget but we ended up with a team that could of got relegated from the conference, did he cut it that much?

We could of got better centre half’s than these two from local football, they were totally unfit.

I have always wondered how we ended up as bad as did that season, I get that Kassam cut the budget but we ended up with a team that could of got relegated from the conference, did he cut it that much?

Probably did!

So I don't do Twitter, so can't vote in this poll.....

…...but it was Courtney Pitt, hands down. The first of Graeme Rix's signings, I think, and was absolutely awful in every respect. Couldn't shoot, couldn't pass, couldn't cross, didn't track back and wasn't even all that quick. Led the post-Atkins charge from a place in the automatics to missing the playoffs in a very short amount of time.

I also feel that Leo Roget and Tom Newey have been hard done by there.
Yes, they were both bad......but they weren't Ian McGuckin, Lee Jarman or Alex Jeannin-level bad.

Newey yes, Roget no.

We spent a shed load on 2 players from Brentford (Rob Quinn and Andy Scott), think that was the same season, or was it the year before?

Wasn’t that around the half way mark in the season? It was pre transfer windows but sure it was during the season.
Was in the middle of a season for sure, I think Brentford had rolled us over at The Manor quite easily earlier in the season. May have been the year that Dennis Smith came over after one home defeat and addressed the LRT.

Blimey they were dark days...

Back
Top Bottom