Laptop or Chromebook

mariokempes

I'm looking to replace my laptop. But as a technophobe I can't work out which is better for my needs a laptop or chrome book. I only use the laptop for browsing the www. Emails a bit of online shopping and listening to music.My head says chrome book,
Do any of you more switched on people have any tips, please
Thanks in advance

I also am looking at a Chromebook to replace my tablet. Think Chrome will win.

I suppose you only need a laptop if your gaming, web editing and more niche stuff.

I think a Chromebook would still enable me to mod the forum.

Daughter has a chromebook, it's OK if you consume the Internet, but if you do anything else, use databases or spreadsheets, then get a proper operating system. Some really good Win 10 machines out there for low prices, but make sure the processor is an I5 or better, and the RAM is sufficient.

90% of people can get away with a chromebook for what they use the Internet for.

There is an argument for both but, if you go with Chromebook you are pretty much using an app based device, all good some say. However, bear in mind that some software is less user friendly in app format.
I was very keen to get away from Microsoft when I looked for my latest laptop and going with Chrome could have made that decision easy but, I looked at what I would have got and reluctantly decided that I still preferred the way software on the laptop worked.
I can still make my minor protest by not using a lot of Microsoft apps but some are still better than the alternatives.

A more technically adept poster will come along with a more reasoned argument either way (wait for someone to come up with Macbooks etc!) but, I am happy with my choice and can still use my tablet/phone for Android stuff.

I went to Dell in the end, got a much better deal on line than via retail (Currys/PC world) and am very happy with the result.

This article from C-Net is quite informative:

There is an argument for both but, if you go with Chromebook you are pretty much using an app based device, all good some say. However, bear in mind that some software is less user friendly in app format.
I was very keen to get away from Microsoft when I looked for my latest laptop and going with Chrome could have made that decision easy but, I looked at what I would have got and reluctantly decided that I still preferred the way software on the laptop worked.
I can still make my minor protest by not using a lot of Microsoft apps but some are still better than the alternatives.

A more technically adept poster will come along with a more reasoned argument either way (wait for someone to come up with Macbooks etc!) but, I am happy with my choice and can still use my tablet/phone for Android stuff.

I went to Dell in the end, got a much better deal on line than via retail (Currys/PC world) and am very happy with the result.

This article from C-Net is quite informative:
Not a bad summary in that article.

Out of interest, why keen to move from Microsoft? I'd say they are the more progressive out of the big 3 tech companies at the moment, a million miles away from the behemoth of the 1990s.

Laptops are very reasonable. Here in Asia I still order from the US. 2 years ago I got my wife a top of the range i7 8750h or something, slim, top spec with 2 year international warranty for 1000USD delivered.

Not a bad summary in that article.

Out of interest, why keen to move from Microsoft? I'd say they are the more progressive out of the big 3 tech companies at the moment, a million miles away from the behemoth of the 1990s.
I find Microsoft very intrusive and infuriating with their updates. Twice I've had some serious issues with updates corrupting other applications and had to "roll back" my set up to escape disaster. I also had a very good scanner package from Epsom on a printer/scanner that post move to latest windows was rendered useless and replaced by Microsoft with a very poor substitute. e.g. mutiple document scan could only be scanned as individual documents and not saved as one item. I've since bought a new HP printer that uses it's own dedicated app which has no need for Microsoft at all - excellent!

I find Microsoft very intrusive and infuriating with their updates. Twice I've had some serious issues with updates corrupting other applications and had to "roll back" my set up to escape disaster. I also had a very good scanner package from Epsom on a printer/scanner that post move to latest windows was rendered useless and replaced by Microsoft with a very poor substitute. e.g. mutiple document scan could only be scanned as individual documents and not saved as one item. I've since bought a new HP printer that uses it's own dedicated app which has no need for Microsoft at all - excellent!
Fair enough, but most driver issues are from the manufacturer, not the OS developer, but I get your frustration.

No idea what driver support on chromebook is like for scanners and printers, something else to look into before you decide.

Fair enough, but most driver issues are from the manufacturer, not the OS developer, but I get your frustration.

No idea what driver support on chromebook is like for scanners and printers, something else to look into before you decide.
Very true. However, I can recommend the HP 9010 - double sided printing and scanning, very quick good quality print and it's own app (download) with cloud capacity added on. A quick hunt around and ink was cheapest at Viking direct and I sourced the printer from Printer base. (also cheapest at the time)

The driver issues with the Epsom printer were insurmountable as Microsoft simply blocked the use of the software even after downloading an update. The web has lots of stuff on the Microsoft driver, nearly all complaints!

Back
Top Bottom