Championship Lampard to manage Derby County?

Sarge

God like member
Speculation abounds 're Frank Lampard becoming Derby County's manager

Word is he signs today..... I reckon JT might rack up as well as a coach.

JT was already being linked to Derby as soon as he said he was leaving Villa, so with FL going there too, I'd say that was nailed on

Interesting to see how this goes.

Lampard has always seemed smarter than your average superstar footballer and a student of the game.

But he also has zero managerial experience, and the Championship is an extremely tough league (which may be even tougher next year, with three established, cash rich PL teams coming down).

Safer bet is it all ends in tears......

Dave Jones tweets...

Delighted Frank Lampard giving it a shot as a manager. Convinced he’ll be a success, no secret tried to get him into Oxford last summer. #oufc

A brain box and a thicko at Derby. Three year contract too

Good luck to him.

Intelligent young manager. It is about time that we start getting English managers in the Championship (rather than the tried and tested Warnock, Allardyce etc).

It will be tough and Derby hardly have a lot of patience, but I hope that he does well.

Intelligent young manager. It is about time that we start getting English managers in the Championship (rather than the tried and tested Warnock, Allardyce etc).

Whilst I would agree with the principle that it's good to give talented young English managers a shot......is there not an argument that it's a bit unfair that Lampard gets to jump the line into a top Championship club just because he was a good player and has a high profile?

There's a number of talented young managers who have done a strong job in the lower divisions that I would've thought would love a shot at a club like Derby. Darrell Clarke? Danny Cowley? Kevin Nolan? I would have added Paul Hurst, but he's obviously just got the Ipswich job. And, of course, Michael Appleton.

They've spent some time in the lower leagues and proven their managerial credentials. Think I'd be more supportive of Lampard (or Giggs, or others like them) if they did the same.

[n.b. Of course, it's a little harsh to call out Derby for this as Gary Rowett was exactly that sort of young, English manager when they hired him. Suspect he'll do well at Stoke]

Back
Top Bottom