Local News Lamb and Flag St. Giles- 'saved'

Sarge

God like member
a bit of good news ( especially for real ale aficionados) ... Lamb and Flag on St Giles, in central Oxford, after being threatened by closure during the lockdown, has been reprieved by a community-led consortium taking over the historic former coaching inn

it will also remain as a free house....

a bit of good news ( especially for real ale aficionados) ... Lamb and Flag on St Giles, in central Oxford, after being threatened by closure during the lockdown, has been reprieved by a community-led consortium taking over the historic former coaching inn

it will also remain as a free house....

Good news.

Hurrah, it would be a crime to lose that. Central Oxford needs quaint pubs with good beer. I imagine it would do well with tourists and students.
its quite sizable ... especially in comparison to the eagle and child across st giles / the road... dates back to mid 1500s if not further back? .... grade 2 listed.... was also a meeting place for the Inklings ( CS Lewis, JRR Tolkien n co), as well as their better known meeting place across the road ( in the rabbit room of the Eagle and Child- which is still closed, while apparently being converted into some sort of hotel?)

Really glad to hear this. It’s a good real ale stop when switching between The Blenheim and Jericho.

Yep great news anyone remember that huge landlord who was supposed to be Big Daddy’s brother?

Great news.....many happy memories of the Lamb & Flag. Would probably make my Oxford Top 10......though likely wouldn't crack the Top 5.

That being said....my Oxford pub knowledge is at least a few years out of date now. For all I know, all the great pubs have been ruined! Just found out that one of my favourite pubs in Cambridge has been turned into a hipster wine bar. 🤬😭

Great news.....many happy memories of the Lamb & Flag. Would probably make my Oxford Top 10......though likely wouldn't crack the Top 5.

That being said....my Oxford pub knowledge is at least a few years out of date now. For all I know, all the great pubs have been ruined! Just found out that one of my favourite pubs in Cambridge has been turned into a hipster wine bar. 🤬😭
Things ebb and flow but new ones emerge, or bad ones get better. The scruffy old White House by Folly Bridge is now a very nice microbrewery pub, for instance.

The group who have taken it over use the word Inklings in their name. Also, Chadlingtons seen supplying the pub a couple of days ago.

Nonetheless, there’s obviously better boozers than anything in St. Giles.

We’ll see you Wednesday for the quiz. Book now to avoid disappointment.

Things ebb and flow but new ones emerge, or bad ones get better. The scruffy old White House by Folly Bridge is now a very nice microbrewery pub, for instance.

Yep. The Tap Social lot. Amazing people with a fantastic ethos. If you’ve never been to their tap room in the industrial estate in Botley, then fix that.

Yep. The Tap Social lot. Amazing people with a fantastic ethos. If you’ve never been to their tap room in the industrial estate in Botley, then fix that.
Are they the ones who have a micro pub in the covered market?

I think that’s the Teardrop Bar (Church Hanbrewery), although Tao Social had been planning something at some point.
Thanks. I’ll have to try the Tap Social out next time I’m around the Botley area.

Yep great news anyone remember that huge landlord who was supposed to be Big Daddy’s brother?
No but I would like to know more about this!

I drank at the lamb and flag as a 15-18 year old 1990-1993. Spliff in the alley then try and get served. Oh those were the days!

No but I would like to know more about this!

I drank at the lamb and flag as a 15-18 year old 1990-1993. Spliff in the alley then try and get served. Oh those were the days!
Well must have been about 1978/79 he was enormous and used to bar people (including me) for doing little wrong. May have just been a rumour about who his bro was but I believed it. Was a great pub lots of good times there.

Back
Top Bottom