Matches Lack of supporters

sometimes they do .... my 3 granddaughters aligned themselves to their dads 'team' (Man U).... took the middle grand daughter to an OUFC game live a few seasons ago, shes a semi regular attendee of home games ( with her grampy) , and a junior year of the ox member now
Fare play to her but @Sarge have a word with your other 2 granddaughters 😊😊

Exactly, I know lots of people who have become massive Oufc fans including myself. My first oxford game I was 16 at the time I was a ‘fan’ of a premiership team, started going to the manor few times and got hooked and that was that, over twenty years later now and ive had a season ticket nearly every year and have no interest whatsoever in any other team except Oxford. Plenty of others I know including people I sit with that have similar stories, it’s about getting people to the ground and then occasionally a few will fall in to the trap lol.
Fare play to you but in fairness unless we get in the championship we won’t attract many more. I’m all for fans coming back hate day trippers who you will see at bigger or certain games ( if they can get a ticket ) it’s ok people saying we got over 11,000 for a Boxing Day fixture against Woking in the conference but that brought in a few extra quid but where the hell were those extra 3,000 or so in the following games, we have a hard core of around 6,500 fans we need to turn that into at least 8,500
If not more.

I'm the only one in a small group of mates at work who follows a non-premier league side (2 Arsenal 4 Spurs 1 Liverpool).

I've been hassling them to give an Oxford game a try and bought one of them a ticket to watch Crewe a couple of weeks back. He loved it. Went up Saturday and he bought a shirt and is now looking at what other games are coming up. We have also convinced a further two to join us at MK Dons away as they live just outside Buckingham. I reckon that by the end of the season I will be getting all of them up to at least a couple of games a season, with a couple becoming regulars. All bar one are Dads to a total of 11 kids. We've spoke about doing a group family day which could result in lots of future fans.

The appetite for live football is out there and once you get past the three sides and health risk toilets, there is a lot to offer. We all need to start talking our club up rather than constantly knocking it and you might be surprised how many new fans we could actually influence.

@Malc , @SteMerritt, @eaststandboy - why not have a Yellows Forum influenced game? Pick a game and see how many of us can encourage just one mate, work colleague, family member or former fan along. See what influence we could have not only on the attendance but on the atmosphere as well? I would guarantee that we could collectively put 500 on the gate even without any promotional work by the club.

Who's up for the challenge?!
Only 6 more to go scotchers but it will still take being in the championship for the crowds to swell

Can guarantee those local to Oxford who don’t support Oxford and follow a premiershit team won’t change their allegiance from a prem to good old Oxford no mater how spruced up and available facilities a new stadium would produce.

Its not necessarily about getting them to change allegiances, it's about persuading them to come a few times a season. It's like me going to watch my local non league team when I can't get to Oxford.
I'm the only one in a small group of mates at work who follows a non-premier league side (2 Arsenal 4 Spurs 1 Liverpool).

I've been hassling them to give an Oxford game a try and bought one of them a ticket to watch Crewe a couple of weeks back. He loved it. Went up Saturday and he bought a shirt and is now looking at what other games are coming up. We have also convinced a further two to join us at MK Dons away as they live just outside Buckingham. I reckon that by the end of the season I will be getting all of them up to at least a couple of games a season, with a couple becoming regulars. All bar one are Dads to a total of 11 kids. We've spoke about doing a group family day which could result in lots of future fans.

The appetite for live football is out there and once you get past the three sides and health risk toilets, there is a lot to offer. We all need to start talking our club up rather than constantly knocking it and you might be surprised how many new fans we could actually influence.

@Malc , @SteMerritt, @eaststandboy - why not have a Yellows Forum influenced game? Pick a game and see how many of us can encourage just one mate, work colleague, family member or former fan along. See what influence we could have not only on the attendance but on the atmosphere as well? I would guarantee that we could collectively put 500 on the gate even without any promotional work by the club.

Who's up for the challenge?!
Fair play scotchegg.

It's not just down to the club to run initiatives, we've got to do our bit.

20+ years ago at school I persuaded mates to come, some of those became regular fans. I persuaded visiting relatives to come to the boxing day games etc.

I'm not local these days but reckon I'll be bringing football mates to a couple of games. We've all got our part to play.

Its not necessarily about getting them to change allegiances, it's about persuading them to come a few times a season. It's like me going to watch my local non league team when I can't get to Oxford.

Fair play scotchegg.

20+ years ago at school I persuaded mates to come, some of those became regular fans. I persuaded visiting relatives to come to the boxing day games etc.

I'm not local these days but reckon I'll be bringing football mates to a couple of games. We've all got our part to play.
One of the people my friend brought along has now got her own season ticket - and she's from Wycombe!

Ah, some common sense is appearing ( ryaniobirdio, werthers & pottersrightboot) . Very worrying that an earlier poster said his most "hated" grounds were Shrewsbury & Wigan. - both relatively recent constructions - Shrewsbury is more like the sort of thing we will end up with (if we were to relocate). Some people think we are going to get a mini Emirates surrounded by shops & eateries - get real people!
God I hate the word "eateries" and add to that "foodies".

sometimes they do .... my 3 granddaughters aligned themselves to their dads 'team' (Man U).... took the middle grand daughter to an OUFC game live a few seasons ago, shes a semi regular attendee of home games ( with her grampy) , and a junior year of the ox member now
My oldest son has a membership at anfield he goes to matches up there with his gramp BUT I make sure oufc come first my other son is oufc only he tells his brother that Liverpool are bin dippers and hes going to use his Liverpool shirt as toilet paper ( nothing to do with me honest )

Will it have a hole in it?
Each seat is fully plumbed. The flushing generates most of the energy to power the stadium and all the poopie gets used to keep the pitch in good nick.

You best just hope that they haven’t followed my advice and stuck it all underground. Open air is vital.

Fair play scotchegg.

But that’s great but the fans need to come more often we gain a a supporter or Two which is great but we lose some. Against Wycombe we had an attendance of 9082 which included 1890 Wycombe fans so 7,200 Oxford fans, against Lincoln we had 7045 in attendance can’t remember what the Lincoln attendance was probably around 600 so 6,400 OUFC fans so between the two an increase of 800 yellows fans
great and an increase in the previous home game with Crewe which is great I just hope we can keep close to the level of the Wycombe game. Now with the May good news we have to keep them coming, but the hardcore Orem fans won’t change their allegiance but we’ve been trying for the last few years to increase the home fan attendance. Now with a ownership change announcement any day now hopefully with some mouth watering news we can keep increasing the fan base.

But that’s great but the fans need to come more often we gain a a supporter or Two which is great but we lose some. Against Wycombe we had an attendance of 9082 which included 1890 Wycombe fans so 7,200 Oxford fans, against Lincoln we had 7045 in attendance can’t remember what the Lincoln attendance was probably around 600 so 6,400 OUFC fans so between the two an increase of 800 yellows fans
great and an increase in the previous home game with Crewe which is great I just hope we can keep close to the level of the Wycombe game. Now with the May good news we have to keep them coming, but the hardcore Orem fans won’t change their allegiance but we’ve been trying for the last few years to increase the home fan attendance. Now with a ownership change announcement any day now hopefully with some mouth watering news we can keep increasing the fan base.
You're wrong Bazzer. There were 1,505 Wycombe fans, so 7,577 Oxford fans, which was over 1,000 more than the Lincoln game.

You're wrong Bazzer. There were 1,505 Wycombe fans, so 7,577 Oxford fans, which was over 1,000 more than the Lincoln game.
I thought it was reported that they had sold 1800 tickets but yes it means more 3 games on the trot our home support has increased on the previous home game. I hope that when we play Morecambe or Cheltenham and the like at home we can at least match the home support with the home support for the Wycombe game.

Bazzer,

Home only attendance from the club site,

Charlton 7067
Crewe 6553
Lincoln 6469
Wycombe 7577

Average of 6916 home fans so far.

Not all Brighton is posh. Ground is near Moulsecoomb, their version of
BBL.
Whitehawk is the one to visit in East Brighton, up behind the marina. At one point bus drivers refused to drive there as they were shot at. Moulscomb Primary, had a fair of some sort, quite a few years ago, to celebrate the opening of a new building housing amongst other things a new toilet block. The caretaker informed the headteacher the following morning that all of the pull chains from the cisterns had been removed during the fair. Oh and if we ever play at the Amex, avoid one of the closest pubs to the ground, Rubys, formerly the Hikers Rest. Even Millwall turned tail from there.

The difference being that a family in the 80s would have been a lot more aware of "football violence" because it was big news, lots of coverage, and I expect there would have been lots who decided that it wasn't for them. These days coverage generally of football shows that stadiums are a safe space to be in, there is very little in the way of concerted press coverage of problems in grounds. The incidents you mention wouldn't have had any sort of widespread coverage, so I don't think would influence somebody attending a game today.
Have you not seen the footage of Millwalls visit to the Baggies at the weekend?? But I agree with your point.
It is, but from this thread people think a new stadium is going to boost the regular crowd numbers.

I am trying to be realistic in the fact that Oxfordshire is just not a football hotbed, not slagging it off, just the way it is.
Neither is Sussex, but Brighton's season ticket count went from 5000ish to over 22000, on moving to a new ground.

Back
Top Bottom