Labour Split

Gary Baldi

Well, after much talk of a new "centrist" party being created and nothing happening, 7 Labour MPs have left the party because of their old parties policy on Brexit and the "anti-Semitism" in the party.

Kind of surprised that Labour split earlier than the Tories as it can only weaken their old parties position on Brexit. Will it induce the likes of Anna Soubry to leave the Tories or turn into SDP damp squib as the numbers will never work in their favour?

Interesting times....

Dave Milliband has started to pop up a fair bit recently, if there is a new party I expect him to be one of faces at the top.
I wonder who's funding them, being a private company instead of a party means that they don't have to tell us.

Labour will NEVER get into power with Jeremy Corbyn at the helm. The Tories should call another election now, now that Labour is f*cking itself. I would never vote Tory, though.

The state of the Labour party is sad - even as a Conservative voter - it's not good seeing the rise of the certain things there and the lack of real opposition they are providing.

However, seeing the mess of Labour gives the Tories some big air cover with the Brexit mess and sort the myriad of issues they have too.

If there was a party that allowed people to make lots of money and share it with the working class and looked after less fortunate people, like us disabled folk, I would definitely vote for them. If they stopped charlatans from grabbing all the wealth........count me in.

Poor old Jezza's going to be on the backfoot at PM's Questions on Wednesday. Lets hope Tezza goes for the jugular. Just loving it.

Poor old Jezza's going to be on the backfoot at PM's Questions on Wednesday. Lets hope Tezza goes for the jugular. Just loving it.
Windmill, I agree that Corbyn is going to take a lot of flak. But as for a party being divided; 'Maggie' May should think of that old saying: People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. I wish Corbyn would retire.

I honestly think at least one or two them have fallen so far down the Brexit rabbit hole that they think they can stop it and this is a way to do it. And is it the best way to go out for the future of Centre Left Labour supporters?

Some of the anti-Semitic abuse aimed at the splitters I saw on Twitter earlier was proper far, far right wing nut job worthy. Those people really need to stop and think about what they are saying in such a public manner - it just confirms what some people think about them.

These seven seem to be taking a leap into the dark. They're hinting at a new party and inviting MPs from all parties to join them, but they have no manifesto, website or even a name. Perhaps they should have held off until the basics were in place?

Comparisons already being made with the SDP split from Labour, but the seven insist they're not looking for a closer relationship with the Liberal Democrats.

Corbyn's really messed up here. After Labour made significant inroads in the last election his 'leadership' has sent them backwards. Labour now perceived as too extreme by many liberal-minded people.
There almost needs to be a new generalist party as both of the current main parties are in a real mess.
The trouble is that thev2 party system.is so entrenched in British first past the post system.

There needs to be PR so that a wider range of views is represented in parliament and they are forced to discuss the issues like adults rather than braying and heckling while toeing the party line because they want advancement in their 'career'. Yes, it would mean negotiation and compromise, but it would mean extremists (of all persuasions) would be less likely to have influence that is out of proportion to their numbers. The two party first past the post system is out-dated and no longer 'fit for purpose' - it might have been OK in the 18th century but it simply no longer works.

I’m disappointed at the split. This is the time the country needs a good opposition to a poor government.
Reminiscent of the SDP Gang of Four in the seventies.

If a couple of Tories join them, which by all accounts might well happen in the coming days, then even with the DUP votes their majority is gone. Don’t think this splinter group will be quite as harmless as I’ve seen a few suggest. It’s on the verge of putting the final nail in the coffin of British two party politics.

If a couple of Tories join them, which by all accounts might well happen in the coming days, then even with the DUP votes their majority is gone. Don’t think this splinter group will be quite as harmless as I’ve seen a few suggest. It’s on the verge of putting the final nail in the coffin of British two party politics.
I'd like to think that you are right but

We have seen splits and new parties appear and disappear before.
It appears that an awful lot of people vote along party lines (or traditionally have done. I have heard a number of labour voters insisting that they would still vote Labour with Cornyn as they did with Blair)
The first past the post makes it really difficult to break the mould.
We may have a couple of elections with hung parliament due in part to the likes of SNP/ DUP, but I wouldn't be surprised if Labour/ Tories are still By far the main parties for some time.

It looks like another one has gone today - Joan Ryan this time.

The difference between Labour and Tories is the amount of issues some are leaving Labour over - Brexit, anti-Semitism, etc. For all their many quirks, the Tories tend to stick to their tribe, even if they can't stand the site of each other and with Maybot agreeing to go, there is opportunity to change the party. The merest of jam for tomorrow for those unhappy today.

I suspect Anna Soubry will go and one or two more.

The difference: Labour Party splits damage the Labour party. This Conservative Party split is taking the country down with them.

You can argue this Labour split is taking down the country too. The lack of effective opposition is never more obvious than now, but has been apparent for some time.

This speech has been doing the rounds on social media the last couple of days with Derek Hatton now welcomed back with open arms into the Labour ranks.

1985 Labour Party Conference, I remember it well. What ever you think of Kinnock (and I’m no particular fan) at the time this was a brave speech, facing down militant and the far left.

Back
Top Bottom