National News Labour Leadership battle

No surprise they backed Long-Bailey. When Momentum balloted their members on who should be the next leader, hers was the only candidate name on the ballot paper!
Wow.
Extraordinary. We need a third party in this Country. Labour seem to be self restricting. A strong party needs to hold the government to account. This kind of thing does not bode well.

Truly ridiculous.

Momentum do account for only 12.5% of Labour though. If they want to be viable the margin needs to be marginalised.

Wow.
Extraordinary. We need a third party in this Country. Labour seem to be self restricting. A strong party needs to hold the government to account. This kind of thing does not bode well.

Can we please start with an effective opposition? ?
If Labour carry on down this route then the best they could ever hope for is some kind of alliance opposition/government made of of themselves and other "extremes".
That certainly doesn`t bode well.

At least with Starmer as a leader they have half a chance of picking the best "left" bits from the Corbyn manifesto (and there were some good ideas in there) and getting back towards a more centralist approach.

I saw a poll yesterday that Survation did of Labour members from a specific group about their voting intentions.

Long Bailey came out as the lead candidate, but she was either the respondents first preference vote or the last one (6th), but the strength of the first preference vote in that sample was so strong that she was the most popular candidate, even when other preferences were taken into account.

Having seen Lisa Nandy's grilling on the Andrew Neil Show, she is a strong candidate stuck in the wrong era.

Jess Phillips has pulled out of the Labour leadership contest..... she is giving her support to Liz Nandy

She got the support of..............................."Chinese for Labour" ........................................ I don`t identify with that group. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Labour continuing with "For the few not the many" it seems....

What is interesting is how it highlights the large echo chamber has lived in under the Magic Grandpa, his acolytes and his policies.

This is a killer quote:
They take our votes for granted and think we were born yesterday.”

And there is more:
“It’s for young people and students, and the unemployed. It used to be for normal working people, who pay for their house, pay for their car.”
“They all stood up and said they wanted to do what was best for their constituents. But they didn’t listen to us.”
“They say ‘we’ve got 300,000 members’… They’re ignoring the fact that the voters who don’t go to rallies and conferences, who just go out and do a day’s work, still go out and vote.”
“There’s a guy down in Teesside, Ben Houchen, who’s actually doing what he said… It’s easier to vote Conservative when you can see them doing things for you.”
“I don’t think the Tories are to blame for austerity. Gordon Brown sold all the gold and they left a note saying there was no money left.”

This on anti-semtisim is what some of us suggested:
“Why couldn’t he say, ‘yes we’ve got a problem and I’m dealing with it and I’m sorry’? Why couldn’t he say that?”

Labour values
“It’s not a mainstream political party anymore, it’s a cult around Corbyn.”
“Sarah Champion in Rotherham was booted out for saying the vast majority of child abuse groups were from ethnic minorities... Why? It’s 100% true.”
“They take you for granted in places like this that they think are the heartland. But if you raise something they don’t like, it’s like Kiosk Keith – the shutters come down.”
“They want everyone dependent on the state in one way or another.”

To listen to some Labouristas, who blame the people for being thick or not understanding the policies or being whatever else they want them to be, frankly, these people are far more adroit that they are given the credit for.

The saddest quotes for Labour are this:
“My grandad always said to me, you always vote Labour. But I got to the point where I thought, I can’t anymore, it’s the end of the road. So I won’t say that to my lad when he’s older, I won’t say you always vote Labour.”
“They need to show a greater level of respect. They treat voters like idiots. The smugness, the virtue-signalling… There is a big attitude problem.”

It's a dagger to Labours heart

His research suggests former Labour voters felt that the party "could not be trusted with the public finances, looked down on people who disagreed with it, was too left-wing, failed to understand or even listen to the people it was supposed to represent, was incompetent.. and disapproved of their values and treated them like fools."
Yep, will the labour party actually realise this or continue to blame anything or everyone else?

His research suggests former Labour voters felt that the party "could not be trusted with the public finances, looked down on people who disagreed with it, was too left-wing, failed to understand or even listen to the people it was supposed to represent, was incompetent.. and disapproved of their values and treated them like fools."
Yep, will the labour party actually realise this or continue to blame anything or everyone else?
Judging by some of the hustings comments, it doesn't look like it. Of course, it could be front to get in and then change, but it is concerning for the heartlands I'd think. If they can't disavow a bad manifesto nor look at the reasons for the bad result, the cycle will continue...

None of the candidates inspire any confidence.
All three went along with Corbyn and they’re all losers

It looks like even die hard labour voters on here have given up the argument?
Where is yellow taxi ( was he the momentum supporting guy on the election thread?)
I hope that Starmer wins, but worry that none of the challengers are really up to it?

God have that not decided this yet?!
The Labour party dont have a Dominic Cummings=esque puppetmaster to run things ,or hurry things along,- aided by weirdos & misfits, ( some of whom are racists!). The Labour party is built on democracy, currently, the Labour party leadership election is at the second stage with just 3 candidates remaining- there was a Leaders debate on Channel 4 this evening, broadcast from former safe labour seat constituency of Dudley ( currently a tory seat) - the Labour party leadership process follows a considerably more inclusive & democratic path than any 'leadership' contest held by the current party in government (imo)

Back
Top Bottom