National News Labour Leadership battle

Remember, that campaign was a case of he had little to lose and not a lot to gain by doing it. It was the right call. After all, there is no legal obligation to have an Andrew Neil interview at a GE is there?

The likes of Swinson and Corbyn were in another position where they were catching up.

That presser the other day was what he wants. Experts to the left and right, let them talk. If he had done a presser and tried to get through it and made a mistake, people such as yourself would be all over him for doing it - understandable.

And as I've said, it's a sign of the sort of leadership he had as London Mayor. It's just different from his predecessors and we have no idea how it will work long term
Fair comment ..... though so far his different sort of Leadership, if assesed in the style of an oldfashioned school report would, IMO, read along the lines of - has little or no grasp of details, often appears to lack the ability to concentrate, has the attention span of a daffodil, could do much better ;)

^^ which tbh isnt a lot different to some of the comments I received on some of my school reports (last century) :sneaky:

Fair comment ..... though so far his different sort of Leadership, if assesed in the style of an oldfashioned school report would, IMO, read along the lines of - has little or no grasp of details, often appears to lack the ability to concentrate, has the attention span of a daffodil, could do much better ;)

^^ which tbh isnt a lot different to some of the comments I received on some of my school reports (last century) :sneaky:
Oh I agree, it's different to the norm, but his mode was always in the CEO mould, rather than the school swot one. I am glad he doesn't have a deep grasp of the details being the sort of the person he is

Oh I agree, it's different to the norm, but his mode was always in the CEO mould, rather than the school swot one. I am glad he doesn't have a deep grasp of the details being the sort of the person he is
As PM shouldnt he have at least some grasp of details though? If questioned/ pressed on a particular subject by International journalists (for example) uttering baaaaah, bwwwah, brrrruh ,and other Bojo-ism's , in response, really isnt the best approach to matters of National or International concern IMO

CEOs are absent now?!

The CEO of one company I worked for cashed in his options for $93m two days before the release of the earnings K- form in 2002. He was very absent thereafter, in Namibia mostly until the feds got him in 2017. :unsure:

As PM shouldnt he have at least some grasp of details though? If questioned/ pressed on a particular subject by International journalists (for example) uttering baaaaah, bwwwah, brrrruh ,and other Bojo-ism's , in response, really isnt the best approach to matters of National or International concern IMO
I'm sure he does. And maybe it's just my career experience of the best managers I have had were the ones that didn't need to know every nuance and let the SMEs/experts talk as needed. And let's face it, Boris' has a high intellect, but not necessarily the most consistent attention span.

So, he him ceding to his SMEs in cabinet and other officials, is probably best. Now that way won't create the social media gotcha clips or be how's it been done before, but probably best for running the country for him.

I'm sure he does. And maybe it's just my career experience of the best managers I have had were the ones that didn't need to know every nuance and let the SMEs/experts talk as needed. And let's face it, Boris' has a high intellect, but not necessarily the most consistent attention span.

So, he him ceding to his SMEs in cabinet and other officials, is probably best. Now that way won't create the social media gotcha clips or be how's it been done before, but probably best for running the country for him.

to me, it seems, he has the attention span of a daffodil ;)

Absolutely, so why try and front something that you'll be pilloried for because you'll likely get something wrong?
because he's the Prime Minister, and its expected to front the British government, and all its policies, both National and International perhaps? :unsure: ;)

because he's the Prime Minister, and its expected to front the British government, and all its policies, both National and International perhaps? :unsure: ;)
He can front it, but it's fair to not be in on all of the deep detail.

Bringing it back to Labour, we have around a month of this leadership contest to go. Will anyone care who wins at the end? I'll miss some of the bizarre debates and points from Burgon and Butler, but it feels like a never ending story. I suppose this is the last time we'll get to see the likes of Abbott and McDonnell on TV, but even so. Get on with it

Absolutely, so why try and front something that you'll be pilloried for because you'll likely get something wrong?

Trump is always trying to front things he has no clue about, he constantly getting pilloried for it by the press, and he gets important facts wrong on a daily basis.

It hasn't hurt his popularity at all!

Trump is always trying to front things he has no clue about, he constantly getting pilloried for it by the press, and he gets important facts wrong on a daily basis.

It hasn't hurt his popularity at all!
Absolutely, but Trump is at the far side of the spectrum - Boris is a lot more taciturn in that regard.

And then you have the current Labour leader and his replacements, heaven knows how Wrong-Daily would get on. I wouldn't call her the sharpest of operators.

Lisa Nandy had a nightmare yesterday on Trans rights. Why did Labour walk down that particular cul de sac and then struggle to come up with a cogent answer that normal people will resonate with?

Lisa Nandy had a nightmare yesterday on Trans rights. Why did Labour walk down that particular cul de sac and then struggle to come up with a cogent answer that normal people will resonate with?

agree she didnt do too well on that subject ( and she is my preferred candidate for labour leader).... and do agree (to a degree) re labour (trying to be) championing micro minority issues, especially ones that don't sit too well with the middle ground voters, and do tend to be elevated to the foreground, more so than major issues that should be more to the forefront, that has been a bit of a bugbear of mine re labour

That said, raising, highlighting and championing issues that affect vulnerable members of society is (in principle ) an admirable stance to take, as long as it doesnt eclipse major issues.... vulnerable members of society dont have many in a position of authority fighting their corner after all (IMO)

Last edited:
"Normal people"?

Back
Top Bottom