National News Labour Leadership battle

Should the 'powers that be' (as the article puts it) be stepping in to save football clubs though? Isn't that too late in the whole process?

Surely the problem is with the financial structure of the game, the inability of the 'powers that be' to ensure that clubs do not spend more than they earn and the willingness of the football authorities to allow clubs to be owned by any Tom, Dick or Harry who turns up with the promise of some cash, never mind their fitness to do so?

Personally , I dont think 'the powers that be' should be stepping in to save failing football clubs

However, the Sports Minister could/ maybe should take a serious look at the FA's fit and proper person requirement, how its defined and how its applied with a view to making some changes?

Austerity has cut life expectancy ... official NHS stats, if it, NHS, wasnt already going to be sold off (to America?) , by daring to provide statistics criticising Dominic Cummings Bojo/Tory government policies, the NHS goose looks like its going to be cooked. Potential new Labour leader , when, eventually elected, should be hammering home the effects of austerity at every opportunity ! ....

Last edited:
Austerity has cut life expectancy ... official NHS stats, if it, NHS, wasnt already going to be sold off (to America?) , by daring to provide statistics criticising Dominic Cummings Bojo/Tory government policies, the NHS goose looks like its going to cooked. Potential new Labour leader , when, eventually elected, should be hammering home the effects of austerity at every oppertunity ! ....

Expert in I told you so shocker. :rolleyes:

"Austerity has taken a significant toll on equity and health, and it is likely to continue to do so. If you ask me if that is the reason for the worsening health picture, I’d say it is highly likely that is responsible for the life expectancy flat-lining, people’s health deteriorating and the widening of health inequalities"

Easy enough saying it, how about using his expertise to provide solutions?

Of course when the Government release the public spending tap those who despise them will be bleating about a "magic money tree".

Try some interesting factoids about "austerity"........

"Absolute poverty remains at its lowest ever level, 16 percentage points lower than in 1997–98."

"Rates of material deprivation in 2017–18 were a fifth lower than in 2010–11."

Source: https://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/14193

Expert in I told you so shocker. :rolleyes:

"Austerity has taken a significant toll on equity and health, and it is likely to continue to do so. If you ask me if that is the reason for the worsening health picture, I’d say it is highly likely that is responsible for the life expectancy flat-lining, people’s health deteriorating and the widening of health inequalities"

Easy enough saying it, how about using his expertise to provide solutions?

Of course when the Government release the public spending tap those who despise them will be bleating about a "magic money tree".

Try some interesting factoids about "austerity"........

"Absolute poverty remains at its lowest ever level, 16 percentage points lower than in 1997–98."

"Rates of material deprivation in 2017–18 were a fifth lower than in 2010–11."

Source: https://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/14193
Plus of course, there will come a point where life expectancy will hit a natural high and not be able to get any higher, threw a lack of care or not.

An absolute poverty down globally too - not that the mood music from certain quarters contains this as it's the worst time ever to live apparently...

Austerity has cut life expectancy ... official NHS stats, if it, NHS, wasnt already going to be sold off (to America?) , by daring to provide statistics criticising Dominic Cummings Bojo/Tory government policies, the NHS goose looks like its going to be cooked. Potential new Labour leader , when, eventually elected, should be hammering home the effects of austerity at every opportunity ! ....

I think that endlessly banging on about how bad everything is, just gets boring and depressing for "old-fashioned" labour voters. Of course the Momentum types love it - they want to be in a perpetual protest movement.
Lisa Nandy gets this.

I think that endlessly banging on about how bad everything is, just gets boring and depressing for "old-fashioned" labour voters. Of course the Momentum types love it - they want to be in a perpetual protest movement.
Lisa Nandy gets this.
Not only is it boring and depressing, it's also self defeating if they are hoping to win back voters who switched to the Conservatives:
Tony Blair: “You are basically saying to the people who you need to win, ’we don’t like you’, which is not a great start to a political conversation,” “You’ve got to really go to where people are and realise that any of us in the Labour Party are probably to the left of where most of the British public are. Your conversation has got to be in the real world with people who are living their lives and who have decided to reject you.”

This charmer is a prime example of what Labour has become - the nasty party
Not a good choice of terminology, though in this application Id assume (?) the term 'traitors' should be preceded by the word(s) (working) class? - that said LIsa Nandy is my choice for the labour leadership job- but (IMO) , Labour have some serious distance to go to even come close to Cummings, Bojo, Patel and their right wing Nasty/Tory party ;)

Not a good choice of terminology, though in this application Id assume (?) the term 'traitors' should be preceded by the word(s) (working) class? - that said LIsa Nandy is my choice for the labour leadership job- but (IMO) , Labour have some serious distance to go to even come close to Cummings, Bojo, Patel and their right wing Nasty/Tory party ;)
Gut feeling is she is quite a politically bigoted lady who has a rather small minded view of those who voted Conservative - the sort of mindset that will mean Labour doesn't get elected. It's quite a nasty little ditty from her!

Tony Blair: “You are basically saying to the people who you need to win, ’we don’t like you’, which is not a great start to a political conversation,” “You’ve got to really go to where people are and realise that any of us in the Labour Party are probably to the left of where most of the British public are. Your conversation has got to be in the real world with people who are living their lives and who have decided to reject you.”

Like him or loathe him he`s got that absolutely right.
We now have an opposition party that are weak in numbers and seemingly doing their best to remain so. If Boris gets the "Blair factor" bit right with investment in infrastructure, public spending and making life feel better then Labour will be wandering in the wilderness for a very long time looking for minority groups to entice.

Like him or loathe him he`s got that absolutely right.
We now have an opposition party that are weak in numbers and seemingly doing their best to remain so. If Boris gets the "Blair factor" bit right with investment in infrastructure, public spending and making life feel better then Labour will be wandering in the wilderness for a very long time looking for minority groups to entice.
I cant see Bojo being allowed to move anywhere from the right of Ghengis Khan with Cummings pulling the strings TBH @Essexyellows ..... Brexit party standing ( and losing their deposit) in former 'safe' Labour constituencys where 'leave' was the popular vote was a serious factor in the GE result, most 'safe' Labour seats lost were by a margin that was there or thereabouts the votes for the Brexit party.
I agree that Labour should maybe review their obsession with minority group enticing as it can be to the detriment of middle ground floating voters support

I cant see Bojo being allowed to move anywhere from the right of Ghengis Khan with Cummings pulling the strings TBH @Essexyellows ..... Brexit party standing ( and losing their deposit) in former 'safe' Labour constituencys where 'leave' was the popular vote was a serious factor in the GE result, most 'safe' Labour seats lost were by a margin that was there or thereabouts the votes for the Brexit party.
I agree that Labour should maybe review their obsession with minority group enticing as it can be to the detriment of middle ground floating voters support
I saw reading a thread on Twitter about how the left as a political group are stuck where they are because, where the right has stayed in that position on immigration and so forth, but moved left on economics/investments/taxation, the left are incapable of moving right on items like immigration, so are struggling to relate to where the electorate has changed. It's a brief summation on my side, but the wider point concurs with how populism/nationalism has changed things and left wing parties are struggling.

Thus as Labour are blaming others and descending around tiresome debates about Terfs and Trans Rights, they are effectively self marginalising themselves as a consequence.

I must say Cummings blog makes for a fascinating read.
Its not for the faint of heart, liberals or the left but some of his ideas make eminent sense, amongst all the bat-s**t crazy stuff!
I guess that`s how the advisers work, chuck stuff out to the public and gauge the reaction, if there is no/little reaction see how far you can roll it.

Me watching Rebecca Long Bailey being interviewed by Andrew Neil in 3 memes
1ciafl.jpg

DEAR-LORD-PLEASE-MAKE-IT-STOP.jpg

3f997d7687f544d8f3aad42180b19f59.jpg

Why anyone would vote for her, I don't know. Lied about her past, lied about anti-Semitism and clearly not the sharpest tool in the Labour draw. Continuity Corbyn without an intellect. I can see why is called Rebecca Wrong-Daily.

Me watching Rebecca Long Bailey being interviewed by Andrew Neil in 3 memes
1ciafl.jpg

DEAR-LORD-PLEASE-MAKE-IT-STOP.jpg

3f997d7687f544d8f3aad42180b19f59.jpg

Why anyone would vote for her, I don't know. Lied about her past, lied about anti-Semitism and clearly not the sharpest tool in the Labour draw. Continuity Corbyn without an intellect. I can see why is called Rebecca Wrong-Daily.

And good old Bojo swerved being interviewed/ savaged by Andrew Neil in the run in to the GE, while other party leaders didnt if memory serves. At least she, Long- Bailey, had the 'balls' to face him ;)

Gotta agree, she didnt come out of it too well, Neil does very thorough research, and is like a dog with a bone never lets his interviewees off the hook, from his probing questions - no wonder Bojo bottled it, guess there would be no fridges to hide in if Bojo did face him ? :sneaky:

Kier Starmer didnt do too well either IMO

Lisa Nandy ( who would be my choice as next Labour leader) fared slightly better than the other 2 candidates , IMO

And good old Bojo swerved being interviewed/ savaged by Andrew Neil in the run in to the GE, while other party leaders didnt if memory serves. At least she, Long- Bailey, had the 'balls' to face him ;)

Gotta agree, she didnt come out of it too well, Neil does very thorough research, and is like a dog with a bone never lets his interviewees off the hook, from his probing questions - no wonder Bojo bottled it, guess there would be no fridges to hide in if Bojo did face him ? :sneaky:

Kier Starmer didnt do too well either IMO

Lisa Nandy ( who would be my choice as next Labour leader) fared slightly better than the other 2 candidates , IMO
BoJo did the right thing - for all of the angst, clearly they knew they would lose more than they would gain. He had is moment in the summer and just about came out of it ok on that interview with Neil. Once bitten, twice shy?

Starmer came out of it ok - he had the nouse to at least talk around some stuff and experience to not get flustered. His lack of charisma is very IDS esque.

Becky LB really struggled and for her, clearly didn't like the scrutiny at the image her, and her team had created. The NHS stuff has been out there for a while, but this really skewered her. And sadly for Labour, Laura Pidcock would have been worse, so heaven knows why they talked both up.

Nandy did well in that interview - she has been on programmes with Neil many times - Daily Politics, Politics Live and This Week - so has seen him in action and gets it. And is a smart cookie, even if some of her pronouncements have been a bit weird. The right choice for Labour, so they won't get near her.

BoJo did the right thing - for all of the angst, clearly they knew they would lose more than they would gain. He had is moment in the summer and just about came out of it ok on that interview with Neil. Once bitten, twice shy?

Starmer came out of it ok - he had the nouse to at least talk around some stuff and experience to not get flustered. His lack of charisma is very IDS esque.

Becky LB really struggled and for her, clearly didn't like the scrutiny at the image her, and her team had created. The NHS stuff has been out there for a while, but this really skewered her. And sadly for Labour, Laura Pidcock would have been worse, so heaven knows why they talked both up.

Nandy did well in that interview - she has been on programmes with Neil many times - Daily Politics, Politics Live and This Week - so has seen him in action and gets it. And is a smart cookie, even if some of her pronouncements have been a bit weird. The right choice for Labour, so they won't get near her.

what? as potential PM on the run in to a GE, he totally bottled it..... will he do similar if he has to go head to head with other World leaders ? .... its not good for Britain having a chicken in 10 Downing St IMO

BOJO is a complete bottler...always has been and will always duck out of detail and difficulty. He has a track record of sticking his foot in it every time he tries to do the detail without being fully briefed/programmed beforehand.

Things like Covid-19 are heaven sent for him. He gets to read from an internationally accepted script, written by experts and with the whole weight of the COBRA committee and the HMG incident management infrastructure behind him, so he doesn't have to do any thinking for himself. He just bleats out some public information guff whilst cwtching up to Phil and Holly on the sofa....brain in neutral (which is probably its safest setting in fairness).

what? as potential PM on the run in to a GE, he totally bottled it..... will he do similar if he has to go head to head with other World leaders ? .... its not good for Britain having a chicken in 10 Downing St IMO
Remember, that campaign was a case of he had little to lose and not a lot to gain by doing it. It was the right call. After all, there is no legal obligation to have an Andrew Neil interview at a GE is there?

The likes of Swinson and Corbyn were in another position where they were catching up.
BOJO is a complete bottler...always has been and will always duck out of detail and difficulty. He has a track record of sticking his foot in it every time he tries to do the detail without being fully briefed/programmed beforehand.

Things like Covid-19 are heaven sent for him. He gets to read from an internationally accepted script, written by experts and with the whole weight of the COBRA committee and the HMG incident management infrastructure behind him, so he doesn't have to do any thinking for himself. He just bleats out some public information guff whilst cwtching up to Phil and Holly on the sofa....brain in neutral (which is probably its safest setting in fairness).
That presser the other day was what he wants. Experts to the left and right, let them talk. If he had done a presser and tried to get through it and made a mistake, people such as yourself would be all over him for doing it - understandable.

And as I've said, it's a sign of the sort of leadership he had as London Mayor. It's just different from his predecessors and we have no idea how it will work long term

Back
Top Bottom