National News Labour Leadership battle

Peterdev

Keir Starmer expected to be favourite with Rebecca Long-Bailey.
Might be a dream ticket for them.
LB looks to be a modern day Corbyn but might be same losing policies that cost them the last election.
KS is right that there needs to be a full enquiry as to why they struggled. He probably knows.
A shame Caroline Flint is not able to stand. She is the one Labour MP I admire.
A break from the past is needed

And Jeremy still won`t make decision..... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51021030 :ROFLMAO:

Starmer is the only candidate with any leadership/statesman like qualities but will he be able to get the party back to a sensible centre ground rather than leaning to the extreme left? Not in the near (5 year) future IMHO.
Another decade of a Tory government could banish Labour to the wastelands for a very,very long time if they deliver what they say.

In other news wee Jimmie Krankie has renewed calls for Scotland to rejoin the EU as an independent nation..... :rolleyes:

No thanks on Long Bailey as she is just another Corbynite so Labour won't have learnt if she is appointed.

Starmer with Jess Phillips as deputy would be good but won't happen.

Need a centrist leader with a leftish deputy to keep the unions on board, similar to the Blair/Prescott setup.

On that basis Starmer or Cooper as leader with Rayner or possibly Lewis as deputy.

Long Bailey according to the Independent, said that Jeremy Corbyn's leadership was worth 10 out of 10 and implied that defeat was the media's fault.
Scary stuff.
This Country needs a strong opposition and the signs are not good ....

They are charging £25 to vote! Yet for Conservative members didn't need to pay any extra!

Given that the Conservatives received £18M in donations during the last election campaign compared to Labour's £5M that wouldn't sound too unreasonable.

Seem very expensive to me, I don’t think many of the northern voters will pay it.
Might well be a very low turnout.
Unfortunately It looks like Labour will be our of office for a while yet, unless Boris Johnson somehow conspires to lose the election next time. In Corbyn they have a leader who claimed to almost the election in 2017 and won the argument in 2019, but got hammered by the electorate.
If they could lose some of their half baked policies and connect with the voters they might start to close the gap, but it looks a long way off whoever gets elected Labour Leader

Low turnout means a greater chance of electing another frothing loon like Corbyn.

Boris must be having a good laugh.

It's like seeing the moribund dregs of Blairism and Corbynism being pushed out for Labour members to vote on. If I were a Labour supporter, the candidates are a miserable lot and I'd vote for none of them.

It's like seeing the moribund dregs of Blairism and Corbynism being pushed out for Labour members to vote on. If I were a Labour supporter, the candidates are a miserable lot and I'd vote for none of them.
I have to agree ,theyre all a bit bland

IMO the candidates

Birmingham Jess Phillips is possibly the best of a not too impressive bunch if she can engage her brain before opening heher mouth & firing from the lip , and she is a Brummy

Wigan MP Lisa Nandy the next best option, except she went against her constituents re Brexit, unlikely to unite a revitalised Labour party and heal deep rifts

Rebecca Long- Bailey a younger , female take on Corbynite policies, maybe a bit too left leaning to help labour rebuild

Kier Starmer could be regarded asa bit too much of a posh boy and a southerner as well, to regain the trust of the north- that said he is the current front runner and was Oxford Educated *

Emma Thornberry, decent consituency MP, but a southerner unlikely to gain much trust or support from north of Watford

Clive Lewis Norwich (south ) MP, ex army , saw active service in Afghanistan, accused of sexual harrassmentt at a labour party conference, subsequently cleared of any guilt, but s**t tends to stick, will be one of the first to bow out of the contest (lack of support)IMO

(* Oxford produces PMs , Cambridge produces Spies)

Last edited:
£25 a year, Labour is £52 and you can't vote in a leadership election!
blimey :oops: ... for £52 Id not only want a vote, Id want to be wined n dined by each and every leadership contender as well as a taxi there and home after wards

Its said you learn something new everyday, cheers for that info @Eaststandboy ... thats summat I didnt know before

Last edited:
Barry Gardiner as Labour leader would be wonderful. Having seen plenty of his interviews in the past year (unlike Long Bailey), his anger is quire repressed and I can't wait to see him debate his fellow MPs telling them to shut up.

Back
Top Bottom