National News Labour Anti-Semitism Settlement

Yep, that's where I am. That isn't where society, the Labour Party or this forum is at IMHO.

28% of people that voted Labour in 2017 didn't vote for them in 2019, in those two years the Tories spent most of it as a complete cluster f**k yet romped to a landslide win. That win wasn't so much because they gained millions of votes, more to do with Labour losing millions of votes. If Labour are going to be a political force again they need to get that 28% back and more on top. I found it very odd that in The Guardians "5 reasons people didn't vote Labour" Anti Semitism wasn't one of them, I don't know if that's because the Guardian believe Anti Semitism isn't important or they believe Labour Voters don't think its important. Looking at this thread it seems my reasons for not voting Labour have caused more of a stir than Anti Semitism itself, maybe there is a clue there. The usual suspects will be on the Covid thread and others waiting to jump all over any post that in any way suggests regional spikes may have anything to do with behaviour within minority groups. Their silence on this thread speaks volumes.

Starmer has done the right thing in booting out Long Bailey but the far left haven't gone anywhere. Will he keep them quiet and make Labour electable again? I've not seen a great deal of the shadow cabinet but what I have seen hasn't impressed me at all, for me Andy Burnham is streets ahead of them all.
Two of the ‘left’ are in Whitby this morning, enjoying the sunshine. I’m not sure is Whitby is sufficiently ‘far’ for your taste. And frankly, it doesn’t bother me either way. When things fall apart, the left in politics will be necessary again.

Andy Burnham is the Labour version of Rory Stewart. Sensible & electable.
Streets ahead of the "elite" front runners but not established enough to get through the old guard into pole position.
Both Burnham & Stewart understand the normal lives that most of us live and that the middle ground is the place to be with no room for extremism on either side.

Yep, that's where I am. That isn't where society, the Labour Party or this forum is at IMHO.

28% of people that voted Labour in 2017 didn't vote for them in 2019, in those two years the Tories spent most of it as a complete cluster f**k yet romped to a landslide win. That win wasn't so much because they gained millions of votes, more to do with Labour losing millions of votes. If Labour are going to be a political force again they need to get that 28% back and more on top. I found it very odd that in The Guardians "5 reasons people didn't vote Labour" Anti Semitism wasn't one of them, I don't know if that's because the Guardian believe Anti Semitism isn't important or they believe Labour Voters don't think its important. Looking at this thread it seems my reasons for not voting Labour have caused more of a stir than Anti Semitism itself, maybe there is a clue there. The usual suspects will be on the Covid thread and others waiting to jump all over any post that in any way suggests regional spikes may have anything to do with behaviour within minority groups. Their silence on this thread speaks volumes.

Starmer has done the right thing in booting out Long Bailey but the far left haven't gone anywhere. Will he keep them quiet and make Labour electable again? I've not seen a great deal of the shadow cabinet but what I have seen hasn't impressed me at all, for me Andy Burnham is streets ahead of them all.

I'll confess to not knowing a huge amount about the Anti Semitism claims, but was pretty appalled at the glib dismissal of them under Corbyn.

We'll see what Starmer does I guess. A viable and competent opposition is vital whoever is in power.

It's always seemed odd to me that the far right don't make the Conservatives less electable.

On the bit I've highlighted: surely those are the views of 4 or 5 people at most!

Andy Burnham is the Labour version of Rory Stewart. Sensible & electable.
Streets ahead of the "elite" front runners but not established enough to get through the old guard into pole position.
Both Burnham & Stewart understand the normal lives that most of us live and that the middle ground is the place to be with no room for extremism on either side.

Case in point

Two of the ‘left’ are in Whitby this morning, enjoying the sunshine. I’m not sure is Whitby is sufficiently ‘far’ for your taste. And frankly, it doesn’t bother me either way. When things fall apart, the left in politics will be necessary again.
According to the left the country has been falling apart since the tories gained power in 2010 yet they were further from winning in 2019 than ever. Not sure that shows much evidence of being "needed"

Meanwhile, the Labour Party is once again falling out with itself on social media again about the Labour Leaks.

The Corbynistas ain't happy, and it's lovely watching. Do they ever consider that perhaps other people are watching their petty squabbling and to tone it down a touch? Who need I'm a Celebrity Bake Off when you have the Labour party to watch :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Meanwhile, the Labour Party is once again falling out with itself on social media again about the Labour Leaks.

The Corbynistas ain't happy, and it's lovely watching. Do they ever consider that perhaps other people are watching their petty squabbling and to tone it down a touch? Who need I'm a Celebrity Bake Off when you have the Labour party to watch :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
The Corbynistas were never going to go quietly. It will be interesting to see if Starmer has the leadership qualities to see this one out.

The Corbynistas were never going to go quietly. It will be interesting to see if Starmer has the leadership qualities to see this one out.
Yeah, they have had a lot of power in the party and are the younger generation too. Starmer is going to have a hell of job keeping that rabble together!

Yeah, they have had a lot of power in the party and are the younger generation too. Starmer is going to have a hell of job keeping that rabble together!

The Corbynistas have lost a lot of power and positions in the NEC, hence Starmer being able to act as he has with regards anti-Semitism etc. Their attempted takeover of the NEC failed.

The Corbynistas have lost a lot of power and positions in the NEC, hence Starmer being able to act as he has with regards anti-Semitism etc. Their attempted takeover of the NEC failed.
They do, but they have the numbers and the Unions. They could easily cut off the Labour parties money, if they so choose

They do, but they have the numbers and the Unions. They could easily cut off the Labour parties money, if they so choose

They have 1 Union for sure with McCluskey gobbing off all the time but plenty of Unions aren't like that. They don't have the numbers in the membership either anymore based on Starmer getting voted in ahead of the Momentum backed Candidate.

Back
Top Bottom