Away Match Day Thread +++ L1 1/1/2020 Doncaster Rovers v OUFC +++

Except they did play for 20 seconds while their guy was down. Then we got the ball and played with it. Then they got it back, played for another 10 seconds, then decided to put it out of play.
Quite.

I remember, at our place about 2005, doncaster had a throw after we kicked it out because one of theirs was down, they threw it to one of theirs.

Frustrating, thought we deserved a point against well prepared opponents. Looked tired though.

Thought Baptiste was very good today. Always involved, accurate passing and so comfortable on the ball.

On that showing Long should be starting in front of Cadden irrespective of Coiumbus Crew. His final ball quite diabolical. Taylor lacked sparkle but still nearly notched. Fosu limp as lettuce.

Man of match Mous, superb reading of danger.

Thought I player ticket was good value and we remain lucky to have such decent local broadcasters.

Rotherham game a biggie now.

We need to start finding a way to break stubborn teams down. Shrewsbury, MK Dons and now Donny were all organised and we huffed and puffed with no real cutting edge.

Honestly, on reflection, I felt all four games over the Christmas period were pretty similar.

All tight games in which we were not playing at our fluent best, but were clearly the better team overall in each and created the most goalscoring chances.

To win three, and lose the other, all by the odd goal seems like a fair haul for our efforts overall.

And now for all all important January window which will make or break this season........

My two cents for what they’re worth:

everything seemed very flat today. Not much spark, second to most 50:50s, not a lot going forward. Despite that, we were good value for at least a draw. Their goal seemed to take a lucky deflection (or a genius deft touch, couldn’t be sure), and we had two cleared off the line. I come out of that frustrated but not too disappointed.

@Scotchegg ‘s post the other day about how Sykes/Long OR Henry/Cadden work as right wing partnerships seemed very evident to me today. Sykes and Cadden constantly on each other’s toes, I feel they inhibited each other a bit. This tended to leave big gaps in that inside right hand channel, particularly in the first half. Bit disappointed woth Cadden’s reaction at the end. Had to be reminded to come and give the fans a half hearted clap. A caller on RadOx said he was in the same bracket as a GB in the fans’ hearts but I’m not sure if that’s true.

we missed CB’s ability to control a game consistently for 90 minutes. Shandon had flashes where he looked a level above, and Henry came into the game ok after a totally anonymous first half. But we needed someone who was dominating that midfield.

decent interview from KR but I didn’t love his comments about ‘we need a winger, I wanted more in the summer’. Those are the sorts of comments you usually hear from managers engaged in ‘me v the board’ kinds of feuds, and I felt he was quite well backed in the summer. We absolutely need another option on the wing though - he’s not wrong.

while we made it kind of easy for them, I thought the DR CBs had a very good game, heading away absolutely everything. Last year we used to throw Nelson up front late in games for some aerial presence - why can’t we start doing that with Dickie? That said, agree with the poster above, Donny did us tactically, targeting the FB spaces, fair play to them.

And it had clearly been kicked out for the injury, it wasn’t one of them where they played on and then tried toplay the victim.

finally, while much of the match day experience was pretty grim (stadium is in a horrible location and pretty soulless), fairplay to DR for the way they treat away fans. Good bar before the game, stewards exemplary and very helpful and Friendly, and good concourse area, would have been rocking at half time if we’d been up.

A frustrating but all round enjoyable day. We still look good to go up imo. And woth our home form, the odd loss at good sides away from home is no disaster.

Considering they had the ball for 30 seconds after their guy was injured and could have kicked the ball out sooner and it only went out after a miss kick, themno why should we give them the ball back.

Could play all day and not score today. Poor day at the office in honesty.

Coventry are the team to watch in this league i think.

Very well summed up. Too many players going missing when the ball came into the box. They packed the midfield at times to stifle us.
According to Brannigans father, he's going nowhere. Boy we missed him today.
Yes we had a lot of shots and possession, but it counts for nothing if you don't score.
As the caller to radox, KR needs to be backed, with everything he wants. We need to move to the next level with genuine strength in depth. Players that can come off the bench and change a game.
We may not have as good a chance again for many years, to go up automatically.

Just got back to the in laws in Sheffield after another family drop in. Well, the boy and I have been to three league games and yes we've lost all three! Hopefully, we'll win on Saturday as the two other games we've done were cup wins and we'll be watching the Hartlepool game.

As for Donny booing for not throwing the ball back. We should not feel guilty, they time wasted all game and were repeatedly going down for no reason. It was just another ruse.

Hey ho, just couldn't get a goal today. I felt had we scored they would have folded. On we go.

Honest opinion-we weren't quite on it today but still technically far superior man to man than Doncaster but it's all about putting the ball in the onion bag and today the northerners achieved this (somehow). But what I do like after an away match (these days) is walking away from a ground and eavesdropping on the home supporters conversations and today was no exception-massive respect of our style of football and that will let me sleep easy tonight in knowledge that we (oufc) are on our way if we can be savvy over the next few weeks and months. I want pretty please to savour again visiting our near London neighbours next season..... Millwall Charlton QPR Brentford and Fulham just to wet the ol' whistle and to get a chance to eat and spit out all those ugly badly baked biscuits(men) from somewhere where time has stopped and where ours is hopefully just about to begin again.

Just 41 miles to go to our Oxfordshire home.

Coyy's.

We were on another level than doncaster. Donny parked the bus and defended really well. It reminded me of the blackpool away match which we somehow lost as well. Fine margins again with the ball spinning off the post and the goalline clearance. Also thought that our keeper should have saved their only shot? Could have just stuck out a leg rather than going to ground too early. Think we are missing a striker that can head a ball. We must have had 20 or 30 crosses and corners wasted again.

Players and supporters must find it hard to perform to their maximum on New Year’s Day unless playing in a local derby.
Looking at the fixtures today our game at Doncaster was probably the furthest travelling distance with a 300 mile round trip for the majority of our supporters which did affect the numbers and the vocals that we have come accustomed to, it was hard to get any kind of atmosphere going today and as the manager and players always tell us “the vocal support really helps the team push on”...
I imagine most of our fans were on the road by 9.00am this morning, which again can not be right as a good number would have been seeing the new year in with a glass or two of the bubbly (we didn’t leave till 11.00am with myself living only an hour away and even then it was a struggle to be up) which was not kind by the EFL fixture committee, our supporters were lack lustre today because of this which must have had a baring on some of our team performances...
As for the game, we certainly deserved something from the game and if we had have scored the one that hit the post we would have probably gone on and won the game.
if we continue the run of the last 4 games (3 wins and 1 defeat - 9 points) we will end up on 86 points which would be 4 less that the champions Luton had last year however 6 more than Barnsley in 2nd so promotion would be an almost certainty which puts today’s result into perspective...
Roll up our sleeves, work hard and move on...

Well safely back in the shire and avoided the congestion on M1. Just one of those bad days at the office I think. Not for the lack of effort it just didn’t go our way, had some chances but didn’t take them. Onwards and upwards as they say, bring on Saturday!

Tough one to take that. How we never scored is beyond me. Another day we would of scored four. We move on, and fair play to Donny they took there chance, and we didn’t take ours.. We will be up there come May.

Bring in some reinforcements and challenge for them top two places. Happy New Year all.

Except they did play for 20 seconds while their guy was down. Then we got the ball and played with it. Then they got it back, played for another 10 seconds, then decided to put it out of play.

Yeah, but their player was still down at the far end if the pitch when their player noticed it, hence why he put it out of play. Yes, he may have been trying to break up the play, but we should have returned the ball to them. Put it this way, if it had been the other way around we’d be pissed off too, and Karl would have been having kittens.

Yeah, but their player was still down at the far end if the pitch when their player noticed it, hence why he put it out of play. Yes, he may have been trying to break up the play, but we should have returned the ball to them. Put it this way, if it had been the other way around we’d be pissed off too, and Karl would have been having kittens.
They would have noticed it for the first period of 20 seconds when they had the ball. They were literally playing around his fallen body.

Tough one to take that. How we never scored is beyond me. Another day we would of scored four. We move on, and fair play to Donny they took there chance, and we didn’t take ours.. We will be up there come May.

Bring in some reinforcements and challenge for them top two places. Happy New Year all.

To be honest, I don’t think we ever looked like scoring. I don’t remember their keeper having to make a save. It wasn’t as though we were peppering their goal with shots after shots.

Yes, we deserved a draw at least on our possession and technical play, but we didn’t really open them up that much. We were at our best in first 15-20mins, but after that we lacked creativity and final ball.

In fact I’d say they looked more like scoring on the break than we did.

They would have noticed it for the first period of 20 seconds when they had the ball. They were literally playing around his fallen body.

Yeah, but they were on attack and it had just happened. If they had got pissed off for us not putting the ball off when we got the ball I’d fully understand us not obliging, especially as we were then attacking, but once they’d got the ball back in their half and their player was still down then I fully understand them putting it out of play, hence why we should have returned the ball.

Correct and they were also keeling over every 3 minutes to receive 'treatment' so boy who cries wolf treatment was dished out - I had no problem with it and nor did the vast majority of the Donny fans:

Given they would be the main folk to have kittens, their perception is interesting. They also on another thread almost to a man/woman stated what an excellent side we were.

Correct and they were also keeling over every 3 minutes to receive 'treatment' so boy who cries wolf treatment was dished out - I had no problem with it and nor did the vast majority of the Donny fans:

Given they would be the main folk to have kittens, their perception is interesting. They also on another thread almost to a man/woman stated what an excellent side we were.
Obviously they expect us to give the ball back even though they carried on, is it our fault after they didn’t put the ball out that when they did because of a mistake by a Donny player, then no f**k em I doubt whether if we did the same they would have given us the ball......doubt it

Back
Top Bottom