Away Match Day Thread +++ L1 1/1/2020 Doncaster Rovers v OUFC +++

Doncaster a great blueprint for future opposition in terms of tactics.

Disrupted us in the middle of the park, didn't let us find a passing rhythm at all, made us scrap for possession.

Packed the box and stayed central, they know we put in crosses from deep, so they could deal with them quite easily.

Sprung long balls on the counter targeting the full back spaces that we've left vacant.

We weren't at our best today, but a lot of that was down to Doncaster. They played the percentages and got 3 points out of it.

At times we need to work out a different way of doing things when teams pack the box and give us a load of possession outside their area. We tend to just move the ball slowly from left to right, then say Henry has a shot which is easy blocked and they suddenly spring a counter.

I think today showed we're crying out for a winger. Sykes has blown hot and cold recently, Fosu is completely off the boil, Henry plays half his games in the centre of the park, Forde is injured and Hall is still looking to recapture his best form. There are a few positions where you can name the starters pretty accurately, but it seems like the wing is as variable as it comes, and it needs a bit of shoring up.

• React
Reactions: Ian
why Hall came on before Agyei is beyond me
And me, it's a real shame but RH not on the money, I'm just astounded he is still on a football field after his injury's but we're trying to get promoted and playing Robbie is not going to make it happen. Mark Sykes has a lot of admirers and played well at Wimbledon but where was he today, talk about hit and cold.

Disappointing result but a tricky place to go. In an ideal world, we would have given the points to Wimbledon and beaten Doncaster but there we are. We’ve been the victors in narrow wins of late so a narrow defeat to a good side is to be expected at some point.

Still, it’s the results that precede this game and the results that follow it that are important. Follow this one up with an unbeaten run and/or a few wins on the bounce and all will be forgotten.

Very frustrating, but if we respond like we did following the defeat at MK with 3 wins it won't be too damaging in the grand scheme of things. Rotherham home game a week on Saturday looks huge, lets get a couple of signings in the door and then hopefully another good crowd to cheer on the U's!

My two cents for what they’re worth:

everything seemed very flat today. Not much spark, second to most 50:50s, not a lot going forward. Despite that, we were good value for at least a draw. Their goal seemed to take a lucky deflection (or a genius deft touch, couldn’t be sure), and we had two cleared off the line. I come out of that frustrated but not too disappointed.

@Scotchegg ‘s post the other day about how Sykes/Long OR Henry/Cadden work as right wing partnerships seemed very evident to me today. Sykes and Cadden constantly on each other’s toes, I feel they inhibited each other a bit. This tended to leave big gaps in that inside right hand channel, particularly in the first half. Bit disappointed woth Cadden’s reaction at the end. Had to be reminded to come and give the fans a half hearted clap. A caller on RadOx said he was in the same bracket as a GB in the fans’ hearts but I’m not sure if that’s true.

we missed CB’s ability to control a game consistently for 90 minutes. Shandon had flashes where he looked a level above, and Henry came into the game ok after a totally anonymous first half. But we needed someone who was dominating that midfield.

decent interview from KR but I didn’t love his comments about ‘we need a winger, I wanted more in the summer’. Those are the sorts of comments you usually hear from managers engaged in ‘me v the board’ kinds of feuds, and I felt he was quite well backed in the summer. We absolutely need another option on the wing though - he’s not wrong.

while we made it kind of easy for them, I thought the DR CBs had a very good game, heading away absolutely everything. Last year we used to throw Nelson up front late in games for some aerial presence - why can’t we start doing that with Dickie? That said, agree with the poster above, Donny did us tactically, targeting the FB spaces, fair play to them.

didn’t like us not giving the ball back after they kicked it out. I know people will say ‘we needed the win there’s no need to give it back’ but I want us to win the right way. That left a slightly sour note. And it had clearly been kicked out for the injury, it wasn’t one of them where they played on and then tried toplay the victim.

finally, while much of the match day experience was pretty grim (stadium is in a horrible location and pretty soulless), fairplay to DR for the way they treat away fans. Good bar before the game, stewards exemplary and very helpful and Friendly, and good concourse area, would have been rocking at half time if we’d been up.

A frustrating but all round enjoyable day. We still look good to go up imo. And woth our home form, the odd loss at good sides away from home is no disaster.

Really disappointing result, but it's still been an awesome festive period, and we're in a great position going into the 2nd half of the season.

Could do with a few additions this month though to freshen things up a bit, and if we can manage to keep hold of our key players, then we're in with a really good shout for promotion this season.

COYY

didn’t like us not giving the ball back after they kicked it out. I know people will say ‘we needed the win there’s no need to give it back’ but I want us to win the right way. That left a slightly sour note. And it had clearly been kicked out for the injury, it wasn’t one of them where they played on and then tried toplay the victim.

Except they did play for 20 seconds while their guy was down. Then we got the ball and played with it. Then they got it back, played for another 10 seconds, then decided to put it out of play.

Back
Top Bottom