Ex Player Kristaps Grebis

latvia.United

many happy Greetings from Latvija!!!! i am from Riga (Latvia,East Europe) and my uncle (Kristaps Grebis,latvian striker) is oxford United former player over many seasons of success. Go Yellow!!

iam very exicted to hear what stories (tales,fond memories etc.) of my uncle (Kristaps) any may have of his time in oxford? he is (one of)best football players of his hometown Liepāja,so i hope to hear soon from loyal fans!

Hello Latvia United! I saw your Uncle play at Grays Athletic. You can be be proud that came to play in England. I remember he was quite fast.

See here for his games:

I think it's fair to say we were struggling at that time.

yes it is half midnight in riga now (wow!!)! im sorry to hear of the struggle,,hopeful my uncle (Kristaps) aids? mighty Yellow!!! in latvija my uncle made many appearences (and goal) for the town club (Liepājas metalurgs). for many years my uncle was also honored guest (and friend)of the metallurgical plant. i hope he is so in oxford United?

I do enjoy a nostalgic thread (if there is an enthusiasm for such things from the Conference years) so this may be the best one we’ve had.

@latvia.United - welcome to the forum. Your uncle’s time here was brief although he is very much remembered by the fan base here. He remains the only Latvian to play for Oxford United and is in a small group of players to have played international football for a European nation.

He joined at an awkward time at the end of January 2007 when the team was struggling despite having been top of the league for the first half of the season. He probably needed some matches to get adjusted to English football but there wasn’t the opportunity for friendly or exhibition matches to see him become match sharp and, as such, he only appeared four times for Oxford. Nevertheless, he had a very good career outside of England and maybe we didn’t have the opportunity to see how good he was.

Hope that covers it in as diplomatic way as possible!

Nāc, tu dzeltenais!

How many matches have we played at Grays? I seem to remember going there twice at least if it was the ground with a block of flats at one end from which people could watch the game? Or am I mixing it up with somewhere else?

How many matches have we played at Grays? I seem to remember going there twice at least if it was the ground with a block of flats at one end from which people could watch the game? Or am I mixing it up with somewhere else?

According to RadOx, we’ve been there four years times.

Including this barnstormer.

Bloody hell.

Yep that's the one. They finished bottom the year we were promoted then resigned from the Conference, and have plied their trade in the Isthmian League ever since. Shame for them because from memory they had some very good players in that first year we played them - Michael Kightly and Aaron Mclean in particular.

Im wondering whether “half midnight” means 11:30 in Latvian like in German?

On a 2006 uni night out I ‘happened’ to end up with a huge Latvian flag after a rather particularly heavy evening...

Fast forward to Grebis’ first game at Grays. I came to the game draped in that flag. He high-fived me during the warm-up and looked thoroughly bemused by the whole experience.

As others have said - he joined at a painful and turbulent time for the club and I’m sure his brief time with us doesn’t represent the best of his career. But here we are more than a decade later and you’ll find hoards of Yellows who still remember his name!

Last edited:
Yes there were flats with a small balcony near the away end, and a couple of guys who would ring a bell whenever Grays scored.

Also one match (possibly one of the clips) where I was sure Billy Turley deliberately mishandled the ball into the net he was so fed up with the match/manager.

Also I think it was Grays once where Ricky Otto was asked to take his baseball cap off in the pub, and then pointed out a couple of old timers wearing flat caps and asked why the rules didn't apply to them.

Back
Top Bottom