General KR & Tiger to have talks?

Robinson is not over the first hurdle yet, but Im fully behind him and believe he can guide us to the second tier. Most importantly Robinson has been assured (if he signs the 4 yr deal of course) that he's getting adequate financial backing for a promotion. Thats all good.

In regards to MAPP - LEGEND (and I've watched us in the top flight). I have never seen an OUFC manager achieve so much in so little time. He primarily changed the DNA, landscape and ceiling of the football club and gave me as a supporter such amazing experiences that I could never forget. Today, we are still reaping the rewards of that miraculous transformation as we adopt a similar model.

If I was a Lincoln fan right now I would be quite excited to say the least.
I think the term legend is used far too loosely. If he's a legend then Chris Wilder is God.

To be fair, I did have a T-shirt saying Wilder was god.
Haha see! Wilder had arguably the most important managerial stint, in our history. MAPP bottled it when the going got tough. He's not even top 5, in my opinion.

Appleton had the chance to go to a premier league club who had recently won the title and been in the champions league, earn a ridiculous amount of money and work with a friend of his. If you hate him for that then you must despise every of our recent players who’ve done exactly the same thing.

Also who knows if Robinson would do the same in similar circumstances? He might just not have had the opportunity

Last edited:
People seem to be forgetting how Robbo was basically prostituting himself to Blackpool last year. If he was offered the assistants job at Liverpool.say, hed be off like a shot.

Appleton had the chance to go to a premier league club who had recently won the title and been in the champions league, earn a ridiculous amount of money and work with a friend of his. If you hate him for that then you must despise every of our recent players who’ve done exactly the same thing.

Also who knows if Robinson would do the same in similar circumstances? He might just not have had the opportunity
Fair point but when you compare the career lengths of footballers and managers, you can half forgive some of the financially driven decisions that are made by some players.

Good managers are in the proffesional game for decades. Good players are in the game for just over a decade - if they are lucky.

MAPP went too far, too soon and because of that, he has now taken several steps backwards. Was it worth it? Probably not.

MApp was great for our club, bringing a new style of football that brought success and money with a number of players moving on. When many were calling for his head, I was in the minority of those seeing the bigger picture.

Robinson is also great for our club, bringing a style of football that is arguably better and nearly achieved success at a far higher level. He's also overseen player trading that has brought in several million pounds in the last 13 months alone. When many were calling for his head, I was also in a fairly small group who saw the bigger picture.

The one difference is that MApp left with a job half done, where as Robinson is currently looking to see the challenge through.

Of course, Robinson could leave or leave us midtable or worse and opinion will change. But I'm not sure that as we stand today there's anything to separate them and that is a great thing for out club. In addition to Wilder we've had an incredible 10 years as a club that dragged us off the floor. Imagine, only a year or two back, being in a situation where we're talking about whether we will get Grigg or Norwood in the transfer window? Or whether we got more or less than £2m for a player with only a few months left on their contract? Or which one of our young centre backs will be the next multi million pound sale? Times are good, no matter how many try to talk up the negatives or cause division!

Before we knock MApp too much, lets see how we get on against Lincoln next week, they will still be hurting from the 6-0 bashing we gave them with MApp sat in the stands having just agreed to take over.

Before we knock MApp too much, lets see how we get on against Lincoln next week, they will still be hurting from the 6-0 bashing we gave them with MApp sat in the stands having just agreed to take over.

The fact is that MApp will be sat in the opposite dug out and I hope he goes away just as miserable as he did last year!

The king is dead, long live the king!!

5-0 12th September away, Taylor, Henry, Atkinson, Grigg 2! I'll be watching on iFollow!!! ?

People seem to be forgetting how Robbo was basically prostituting himself to Blackpool last year. If he was offered the assistants job at Liverpool.say, hed be off like a shot.
That’s not even on the same level as Mapp going to Leicester KR is a proud scouser Liverpool FC is the biggest thing in Liverpool if he got offered the chance to work with a terrific manager like klopp he’d be an idiot to turn it down where as Mapp is from Manchester I believe and got offered the assistance job at Leicester ONLY because his mate was manager and wasn’t a very good manager at that

I think Appleton is a great coach/manager of other people and did a fantastic job with Eagles, Ashton and others in resetting the ethos and focus of our club. I would be more than happy to see him return in the future.

However as a manager of his own career he is the complete opposite. He made terrible personal career decisions before joining the Us and with Leicester if he was trying to ensure a successful legacy as a manager.

I heard he’s been linked with two players. I’d love to know who they are. Maybe that is what has made his decision

In my time supporting the club (95/96 season) my top 5 would be:

Dennis Smith
He achieved success when the club didn’t have much money and also kept us up for a year in what was division 1.

Chris Wilder
He dragged the club off its a**e and got us back in the football league, if he hadn’t then we might not have a club to support today.

Karl Robinson
He is yet to achieve success but I’m pretty damn sure he will and he has taken the club to the next level up from where we were with MApp. I’d say we have more 1st team prospects coming through the academy than ever before.

MApp
He did change the club with the help of Eales and Ashton and finally got us promoted. He never finished the job though and jumped at the 1st chance rather than backing his ability to get us to the championship. As people said at the time it might not be the best move and I think that has become true by the fact he has now ended up at Lincoln.

Ian Atkins
He nearly got success while having to deal with Kassam. Anyone who can do that gets my respect. It was also exciting at times under him with good away wins and cup runs.

Other than that, we really haven’t had many good managers in the last 14 years!

Back
Top Bottom