Manager/Coach KR needs to go

In individual sport, the buck stops with that one player, he/she is responsible for all decisions, tactics, application, and response to winning or losing, and maintaining of form, they'll have a team behind the scenes, but in a match, they only have to focus on their own performance, and it's that one performance that will affect the result.

Football is a team sport, 11 v 11, and individual players with have peaks and dips in form, and as a result, the form of the team will change accordingly, and the same applies to the opposition teams and their individual players, meaning all form is temporary, there will be good periods, average periods, and bad periods, it's a long season, over 10 months, and it's about trying to find a balance, where form doesn't constantly swing from one extreme to the other, and one way to try to control that is in the reactions to all results, as if players, management and fans got over excited every time we win or string together a few wins, but then behave like its the end of the world after a bad result, or 3, then it's going to be hard to manage expectations, emotions, and ultimately, form.

A team can carry an underperforming player or two, and still grind out a result, but on another day, an underperforming player or two can make all the difference, and cost the team the match.
On the other hand, a team could be underperforming, but one or two players hitting form, or a moment of magic, can get the result.

In individual sport, it's probably easier to deal with wins or losses, as the one player only has to control their own reaction to the result, as oppose to a whole team, who will have individual players with different opinions and emotions, reacting to a result, and in that sense Robbo is right to say we need to learn to not get too carried away, weather we win, lose or draw, and do it together, as a team, and I think, we can now see that the players are reacting to that philosophy, with a clear team spirit and togetherness that has really come to fruition in recent weeks.

It must be bloody hard work controlling the emotions of a whole squad of players through the inevitable peaks and troughs of form throughout an entire season, and with thousands of fans swinging from ecstasy to despair every few games, making judgements, and adjusting their expectations accordingly, it must make the job a lot harder, more stressful and exhausting!

But consistency comes from stability, and I hate the way managers are so easily sacked after a bad run of results these days, when all that creates is more uncertainty, instability, and more inconsistent form.

Our club has been going through a major transition period in recent years, and I think the stability of having a manager here through thick and thin, keeping everyone together and level headed has been very important, and I'm very glad the board haven't done the typical knee jerk reactions of clubs who sack managers every time the going gets tough, and have stood by Robbo, given him time, allowed the obvious teething problems to occur, be dealt with, and pass by, and hopefully now, that loyalty and trust between Robbo and the board is now starting to yield the results everyone hoped it would, and hopefully the fans will be rewarded for their loyalty and patience, and the doubters, shouters and fickle fans will think twice about losing the plot so easily, next time we, inevitably, have a dip in form, and go through a bad spell.

Look at Alex Ferguson at Man Utd, in the 80's when he was rebuilding the club, through a transition faze, they were achieving nothing, and even flirted with relegation, fans were calling for his head, and he was close to losing his job at one point, but the club stood by him, while he continued to build, then it started yielding results, and over the years, whenever it looked like the wheels had come off, and Man Utd were losing their grip, they stood by him, and he rebuilt again, but he couldn't have done that without the patience and support of the board, and fans, allowing continued stability for him to continue his work at club, and that didn't turn out too badly did it?!?

The last couple of weeks have proved that Robbo deserves to be given time to finish what he started, and while there have been ups and downs, and understandable concerns, at times, he's received a lot of unfair criticism and abuse, and I think as a mark of respect and appreciation for what he's doing, and how much he has bought into our club, it's fans, and it's history, we should give him our support and patience, and I feel this thread is an insult to the guy, as he's clearly doing a good job.

In Robbo we trust!

The recent run has not ruled out the shocking start to the season in the same way the run at the end of last didnt overwrite the relegation battle for the majority.

Karl needs to find more consistency i think before the likes of Stoke come knocking. Things seem to be moving in the right direction but lets not get ahead of ourselves....
That's fair enough and probably what KR would say.
But if the team are having a bad run ( not the fantastic one we are having now) fair minded supporters should say then that the recent run does not rule out the excellent second half of last season or the excellent recent run.
KR is playing things down (just like MAPP used to) , but he doesn't equally go into melt down when we are having a tough time.

Formation was 433. Looked much better than the 4231.

Unbelievable result and performance, everyone involved were brilliant. Im still not a KR disciple though.
Mmm people seem.to get hung up with formations for some reason.
In my view it was far more flexible than 4 3 3.
Gorrin is definitely at the base as he has been all season. Henry and Fosu could be seen in both areas, and Taylor was clearly the one centre forward, but at times even he was wide picking up the ball.
Far more important than a rigid formation is that the players look very fit, seem to be enjoying how they are playing and do seem far more organised on set pieces at both ends. We look well organised but there is a flexibility in how we play (Henry's header was to the left side of the box)

In my view it was far more flexible than 4 3 3.
Gorrin is definitely at the base as he has been all season. Henry and Fosu could be seen in both areas, and Taylor was clearly the one centre forward, but at times even he was wide picking up the ball.
Agree. The four in front of Gorrin all have defensive duties as well and it is more noticeable that Woodburn and Fosu are tackling back when required and the recent clean sheets reflect this. Henry and Brannegan have always worked hard and yesterday it was Henry who filled in at left back when Ruffels went forward in the second half and had a shot.

I feel the players have persuaded Karl to go with this system because the transformation has been incredible. Noticeable they had a huddle after the match on saturday and Karl was not there to begin with ,nothing amiss with that and was good to see, they have properly bought into the mission!

I feel the players have persuaded Karl to go with this system because the transformation has been incredible. Noticeable they had a huddle after the match on saturday and Karl was not there to begin with ,nothing amiss with that and was good to see, they have properly bought into the mission!

I have a feeling you may be right.

There might be an element of truth in this. I think one of the most impressive elements of Robinson’s management is he allows other people to have a voice and provide input. Mous and Mackie are a powerful influence amongst the players. Not a bad thing by any means and, to me, it’s shows strength not weakness in Robinson to allow them to have their say. I think it really helps with the positive feel around the whole club.

The players have been getting in huddles since the begin of the season both before and after games.

I know some have issues with Robinson, but the way we set up is 100% down to him. Blame him if we lose, but also give credit where it is due when we win!

The players have been getting in huddles since the begin of the season both before and after games.

I know some have issues with Robinson, but the way we set up is 100% down to him. Blame him if we lose, but also give credit where it is due when we win!
You going to back that up? I would like to know who and how you know..

Not strictly true, @tonto is closer on this one.

Are you saying that Cadden has made the decision to hold his runs? Or Woodburn has gone against the manager to play from a deeper position? Or collectively the players have ignored Robinson's gung ho style and have tightened up themselves?

Of course these changes have been coached and implemented by Robinson!

I know he's far from perfect but it remains a bit childish to blame Robinson when we're poor but refuse to give him any credit when we do well.

As is usually the case in life and certainly at OUFC with the swings from happy clapping optimism all the way through to people who'd make Private Frazer seem like a ray of sunshine, the truth is inevitably somewhere in the middle.

And good on everyone for pulling together for the club as well!

Actually... if the players persuaded KR to adopt a certain style, I for one am extremely pleased that he has shown great management skills with an ability to listen and adapt, based on evidence.

A one way dictatorial style can work well (yes there are notable exceptions, such as Ferguson at Man U, where indoctrination was total and stepping out of line brought severe sanctions, helped by comparatively unlimited resources), but an ability to take on board suggestions and adapt your style based on them will always make for a better manager in any walk of life, in my opinion and experience.

It also adds to the concept of the whole squad being bought into the project, as they actually have a voice in the process. This is evidenced by how tight they generally seem to be as a squad and how well they perform for each other.

Long may the collaborative approach continue, providing the players respect that the ultimate strategical decisions must come down to the management team and they will be judged on it.

Last edited:
Are you saying that Cadden has made the decision to hold his runs? Or Woodburn has gone against the manager to play from a deeper position? Or collectively the players have ignored Robinson's gung ho style and have tightened up themselves?

Of course these changes have been coached and implemented by Robinson!

I know he's far from perfect but it remains a bit childish to blame Robinson when we're poor but refuse to give him any credit when we do well.

Stop being so facetious, I'm saying that the players were fed up of being shoehorned into positions they weren't comfortable with playing and surprise surprise 2 weeks later look at where we are. The fans and players could see the 4231 wasnt working and switching to the more fluid 433/4141 we're playing now isn't solely down to Robinson having a genius brainwave.

The players wanted to change it, KR has implemented it.

Dont get so defensive all the time, at no point have I ever blamed KR on this site apart from the fact that he failed to change a formation that was clearly not working and needed to change quick? Not everyone is out to sh*t on the club all the time.

Actually... if the players persuaded KR to adopt a certain style, I for one am extremely pleased that he has shown great management skills with an ability to listen and adapt, based on evidence.

A one way dictatorial style can work well (yes there are notable exceptions, such as Ferguson at Man U, where indoctrination was total and stepping out of line brought severe sanctions, helped by comparatively unlimited resources), but an ability to take on board suggestions and adapt your style based on them will always make for a better manager in any walk of life, in my opinion and experience.

It also adds to the concept of the whole squad being bought into the project, as they actually have a voice in the process. This is evidenced by how tight they generally seem to be as a squad and how well they perform for each other.

Long may the collaborative approach continue, providing the players respect that the ultimate strategical decisions must come down to the management team and they will be judged on it.
exactly that. almost like they’re, what’s the word, a team

Not just based on another disappointing night, but since he’s been at the club- he clearly works hard and is passionate about football- but I just don’t believe he can put together a balanced squad or build a winning side. I’ve seen nothing to change my mind on him or any confidence it will improve. Sorry time for a change!!

Not even a month ago!!!

I'm glad our team, manager and club shows a lot more fight than some of our fans who had already thrown the towel in!!!