Manager/Coach KR needs to go

It's very rich for some on here to now say everything is fine and dandy. Although I think it was too early to call for him to be sacked, some people fairly critisized KR and his tactics, like sticking with 4231, which gives us less of an attacking output than we saw last night, which was more of a 433 in my opinion. KR should be given credit for the recent improvement in results however, by tweaking tactics and keeping strong. Now its time to keep up these recent performances and we will easily push for playoff places

Our formation in the middle of the pitch is very fluid so all this guff about 4231, 433 4123 whatever is kind of pointless! A few too many have played FIFA a couple of times and think that they're the next England Manager.

Last night we set up with a flat back 4 with Thorne sat deep, Brannagan and Baptiste ahead of him, Forde and Hall out wide and Mackie up on his own. Does that make this 41221? 4141? 4123? 433?

Then when Thorne went off we had Sykes come into the middle but with Brannagan and Baptiste sitting a little deeper. So now we were 42121? 4321? 451? Then when Hall switched with Sykes he was playing a little higher up the field, almost in line with Sykes and Forde, so this became more of a 4231? Or maybe 42211?

So, you can see that formations are basically a load of B*****s and it's no wonder that KR was so dismmisive of those who bang on about 442 or whatever else. He sets a team up to get the best out of our players whilst looking to combat the threat from the opposition. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. But the idea that we set up like on a subbuteo pitch and never change is frankly insane!

He sets a team up to get the best out of our players whilst looking to combat the threat from the opposition. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. But the idea that we set up like on a subbuteo pitch and never change is frankly insane!

Well, my dear man, he set up wrong at the start last evening. Hall left Long marking 2 men for the first 30 minutes or so before Sykes was moved 'wide' and fixed it. Superb example of tactical flexibility or obvious oversight fixed? You choose.

Our formation in the middle of the pitch is very fluid so all this guff about 4231, 433 4123 whatever is kind of pointless! A few too many have played FIFA a couple of times and think that they're the next England Manager.

Last night we set up with a flat back 4 with Thorne sat deep, Brannagan and Baptiste ahead of him, Forde and Hall out wide and Mackie up on his own. Does that make this 41221? 4141? 4123? 433?

Then when Thorne went off we had Sykes come into the middle but with Brannagan and Baptiste sitting a little deeper. So now we were 42121? 4321? 451? Then when Hall switched with Sykes he was playing a little higher up the field, almost in line with Sykes and Forde, so this became more of a 4231? Or maybe 42211?

So, you can see that formations are basically a load of B*****s and it's no wonder that KR was so dismmisive of those who bang on about 442 or whatever else. He sets a team up to get the best out of our players whilst looking to combat the threat from the opposition. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. But the idea that we set up like on a subbuteo pitch and never change is frankly insane!
I agree.

However, I really do think 4-2-3-1 is a complicated, unnatural and uninspiring formation, that can lead to players being confused and conflicted about what their duties are.

Do the wide players in the three, stay wide to provide width and support for the full backs, but leave the middle exposed, or do they stay narrow, but then provide no width and leave the full backs exposed?

Does the lone striker play on the shoulder, making runs in behind, or does he play with his back to goal, dropping deep to link up play?

Do the two deep midfielders stay deep together, or one go forward while one covers?

Do the full backs bomb forward to provide width, but leave acres of space behind them, or do they stay back, causing us to lose width?

It can all get a bit muddled at times with that formation, and I think 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 are more natural formations, easily understood, allowing players to play more instinctively and express their natural talent more, yielding better results.

It can’t be a coincidence that to a man, our players have looked better individually, and as a team, in 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 formations, but have struggled and looked disjointed playing 4-2-3-1.

But yeah, like you say, changes occur depending on the opposition, during games, due to changes in tactics, substitutions etc, and formations will then vary accordingly.

Who cares anyway, at the moment we’re playing awesome, and Robbo’s doing a great job!

Probably time for this thread to close really, nothing to see here! ?

I'm pretty sure if Robinson is quoted in tomorrow morning's Oxford Mail as saying that he decided to change the formation from 4231 (his preferred system) to 433 you'll be heralding him as a tactical genius on the way to being regarded as the same level as Guardiola by midday.

There has been subtle changes made in the last couple of games that have undoubtedly improved the fluidity of the midfield. I think the biggest difference last night in particular was that we didn't play with a typical number 10, which allowed us to play wider and opened up more space for the likes of Baptiste and Brannagan to break into.

I didn't really get my point across, what I meant to say was that recently we have moved the wingers up further forward to have a formation closer to 433, and leaving the striker less isolated upfront by this is one of the reasons I think we've scored more recently

It's very rich for some on here to now say everything is fine and dandy. Although I think it was too early to call for him to be sacked, some people fairly critisized KR and his tactics, like sticking with 4231, which gives us less of an attacking output than we saw last night, which was more of a 433 in my opinion. KR should be given credit for the recent improvement in results however, by tweaking tactics and keeping strong. Now its time to keep up these recent performances and we will easily push for playoff places
We started 4141 and finished 442. Which both worked.
As someone has said Long needed help and that happened when Sykes went out wide and Hall went up front in a 2.
And I still like 4231 !

Perhaps there's also an element of Garry Parker's role starting to pay dividends in the way we set up and prepare?[emoji848]
Good point, is it coincidence the upturn has come at the same time as Parker's arrival, I suppose if we get more consistent over the coming weeks and months, more could be read into that situation.

Formation was 433. Looked much better than the 4231.

Unbelievable result and performance, everyone involved were brilliant. Im still not a KR disciple though.

Must be in line for September Manager of the Month? I’m actually starting to get a little concerned that the likes of Stoke might come a sniffing if this amazing run continues much longer!

Must be in line for September Manager of the Month? I’m actually starting to get a little concerned that the likes of Stoke might come a sniffing if this amazing run continues much longer!

You would hope the level of trust embedded in the 3 year contract he just signed works both ways.

I can't begrudge anyone looking to reap the rewards of the hard work they have put in, but for the moment Karl and Oxford look like a really good match.

It's taken a lot of time to build this project to the point where we're really starting to see it all pay off. I'd hope if Karl did end up moving on, it would be to a more secure Championship proposition.

Perhaps there's also an element of Garry Parker's role starting to pay dividends in the way we set up and prepare?[emoji848]

Is Garry Parker involved on a matchday at the U’s or is watching our next opponents each week and doing the analysis.

The last month has certainly seen a huge upswing in performances with and without the ball - something has happened for sure.

Is Garry Parker involved on a matchday at the U’s or is watching our next opponents each week and doing the analysis.

The last month has certainly seen a huge upswing in performances with and without the ball - something has happened for sure.

He scouts the opposition, but he's also in charge of setting up the 'second team' during training sessions to mirror the opposition play. So there's a coaching element to his role as well.

He scouts the opposition, but he's also in charge of setting up the 'second team' during training sessions to mirror the opposition play. So there's a coaching element to his role as well.
I would imagine that Garry Parker would be a little embarrassed with people suggesting that he could be the reason in the upturn.
I would think that the upturn has coincided with the players getting to play more with the other new players, some getting fitter, some tweaks in the formation, a couple of clean sheets and a surge in confidence.
Sure having more information on the other team would help but it is more the way Oxford have played that has changed things.

Am I alone in thinking that on Quest last night Michael Appleton looked a little wistful that he was not still our manager?

I agree.

However, I really do think 4-2-3-1 is a complicated, unnatural and uninspiring formation, that can lead to players being confused and conflicted about what their duties are.

Do the wide players in the three, stay wide to provide width and support for the full backs, but leave the middle exposed, or do they stay narrow, but then provide no width and leave the full backs exposed?

Does the lone striker play on the shoulder, making runs in behind, or does he play with his back to goal, dropping deep to link up play?

Do the two deep midfielders stay deep together, or one go forward while one covers?

Do the full backs bomb forward to provide width, but leave acres of space behind them, or do they stay back, causing us to lose width?

It can all get a bit muddled at times with that formation, and I think 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 are more natural formations, easily understood, allowing players to play more instinctively and express their natural talent more, yielding better results.

It can’t be a coincidence that to a man, our players have looked better individually, and as a team, in 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 formations, but have struggled and looked disjointed playing 4-2-3-1.

But yeah, like you say, changes occur depending on the opposition, during games, due to changes in tactics, substitutions etc, and formations will then vary accordingly.

Who cares anyway, at the moment we’re playing awesome, and Robbo’s doing a great job!

Probably time for this thread to close really, nothing to see here! ?

Sorry to break it to you but if we lose the next 3-4 games in a row the usual suspects will be straight back on threads like this!

I think KR constantly goes on about not getting too down when we lose and too excited when we win for a reason. Fans are very fickle and if a team goes on an amazing run like we have done then the manager is feted as a genius who could leave for a higher level - this is in the same month as a thread was set up saying he has ‘got’ to go. Maybe we should all chill out a bit and wait to judge KR after more of the season has passed - take stock halfway through, and then see where we are at the end of the season perhaps? It’s entirely feasible that we could be top 3 by Christmas and yet finish mid table, or flirt with relegation early on but make a late charge for the playoffs. Both of those are hardly unknown in football or even for us in recent years!

Let’s just stick behind the team, yeah be happy and praise them when they win, and complain about any perceived mistakes when they lose, but perhaps not jump the gun and start demanding the manager be sacked after 10-12 games?!

I would imagine that Garry Parker would be a little embarrassed with people suggesting that he could be the reason in the upturn.
I would think that the upturn has coincided with the players getting to play more with the other new players, some getting fitter, some tweaks in the formation, a couple of clean sheets and a surge in confidence.
Sure having more information on the other team would help but it is more the way Oxford have played that has changed things.

I definitely think the upturn has been due to the change in staffing, but it's not Parker.

It's that we got rid of Bondy! Musta been him that's been holding us back all this time! ?

The recent run has not ruled out the shocking start to the season in the same way the run at the end of last didnt overwrite the relegation battle for the majority.

Karl needs to find more consistency i think before the likes of Stoke come knocking. Things seem to be moving in the right direction but lets not get ahead of ourselves....

The recent run has not ruled out the shocking start to the season in the same way the run at the end of last didnt overwrite the relegation battle for the majority.

Karl needs to find more consistency i think before the likes of Stoke come knocking. Things seem to be moving in the right direction but lets not get ahead of ourselves....

Is that as positive as you can get?