Sport Kobe Bryant - dead

Big NBA fan and the response to this has been immense, very sad especially with his daughter also being involved, been a few players in tears on the benches of games today

His work ethic and will to win compare to anyone in any sport as well, truly great competitor

Do you know much outside the UK? The guy was like what Beckham is to football!
I think Ronaldo is a good comparison, had the cockiness that made most want them to lose, but made you tune in as well, but deserving of ultimate respect because of their drive to be the best

I can’t get into Basketball, so boring. Bounce, bounce, bonce, throw. Bounce, bounce, bounce throw. Bounce, bounce, bounce, throw.

Would Gary Lineker dying be first on the news in the US?
I think that the Americanisation of our media is an important topic for discussion, but this thread isn't really the place to do it. If you'd like to explore this line of thought further, can another thread be created, and leave this one for its intended purpose. (not directed directly to you @werthersoriginal, general point)

• React
Reactions: m
My initial thought was "Who?".
Then you think, that`s sad having most of a family wiped out in one go.

That`s it for me.

Newsworthy? Yes.
Headline grabbing, collective mourning.......... nope.

Pretty clear that a lot of people on this thread aren't aware of the increasing popularity of 'American' sports in the UK. Wembley is sold out every year for NFL matches, as is the O2 arena for NBA matches.

Kobe Bryant wasn't just any old basketball player. He was arguably the best player in the NBA throughout his 20 year career and had a massive global appeal, hence the large outpouring of emotion. Comparing him to Gary Lineker is, quite frankly, laughable. As another poster mentioned, try Ronaldo. Don't you think if he were to die in a helicopter crash that would make headline news in the States?

I have no interest in basketball at all, but I know of Kobe Bryant and what he did for the sport. He is a very influential sporting icon for many young black men in the UK, judging by the reaction on social media.

He was the sevent highest earning sports star of all time. I’m pretty sure that alone is newsworthy, let alone the tragic nature of his death and the fact his teenage daughter also died.

Add in the fact that he won an Oscar a few years ago and it’s hardly surprising it’s front page news all over the world.

I’m astonished that there are some people who have no idea who this guy is! Or at least are minimizing his status...

I’m astonished that there are some people who have no idea who this guy is! Or at least are minimizing his status...
I'd heard the name, but have absolutely no interest in basketball or 'celebrity culture'. I could have probably told you he was a basketball player and not much more.

I'd heard the name, but have absolutely no interest in basketball or 'celebrity culture'. I could have probably told you he was a basketball player and not much more.

Fair enough mate. However if you take Beckham for eg he’s known worldwide and (love him to bits) was comparatively mediocre as an all round footballer.
Bryant was exceptional in his sport who singlehandedly won games night after night for his entire career like, as has also been mentioned, a Messi or Ronaldo. So Bryant wasn’t primarily a celebrity culture athlete.
I’ve lived in the US for 20 years so admit I’m gonna be more aware of his reputation :)

Last edited:
Fair enough mate. However if you take Beckham for eg he’s known worldwide and (love him to bits) was pretty mediocre as an all round footballer.
Bryant was exceptional in his sport who singlehandedly won games night after night for his entire career like, as has been mentioned, a Messi or Ronaldo. So Bryant wasn’t primarily a celebrity culture athlete.
I’ve lived in the US for 20 years so admit I’m gonna be more aware of his reputation :)
I'm not saying he wasn't exceptional, and it's quite probably ignorance on my part. But I suspect Sachin Tendulkar was never a big name in the US! If you don't have much of an interest in a sport (and its not a major sport in your country), even the biggest names can pass you by. It is sad nonetheless of course that a chap and his daughter have died.

I'm not saying he wasn't exceptional, and it's quite probably ignorance on my part. But I suspect Sachin Tendulkar was never a big name in the US! If you don't have much of an interest in a sport (and its not a major sport in your country), even the biggest names can pass you by. It is sad nonetheless of course that a chap and his daughter have died.

Yes, that’s what has compounded the loss