Ex Player Kemar Roofe

chuckbert

Roofe has caused some controversy by scoring a handball goal for Leeds against Forest. Not quite Maradona, but controversial nevertheless. Can’t work out the link, but if you search YouTube for Roofe handball goal you’ll find it.

does that equate to, not the Roofe being on fire, instead judging by the reactions a forest inferno? :oops: here it is @chuckbert .....

Horrible bit of cheating. The crafty wink afterwards summed it all up. He can do so much better and would be better thought of if he had been honest. He knew.

Talking of cheating (shame on you Roofe!) I watched some of the Spurs - Man City game last night. There are still players diving all over the place, deliberately running into other players legs and falling over etc. The worst they get is a yellow card, so maybe the calculation is that the reward of maybe getting a penalty is worth the risk of a yellow. I'd bring in retrospective punishment. A one game ban at the least.

Talking of cheating (shame on you Roofe!) I watched some of the Spurs - Man City game last night. There are still players diving all over the place, deliberately running into other players legs and falling over etc. The worst they get is a yellow card, so maybe the calculation is that the reward of maybe getting a penalty is worth the risk of a yellow. I'd bring in retrospective punishment. A one game ban at the least.

Watching the A-League coverage and the VAR decisions further empathises this. When (and it will be sadly) it is introduced into the PL if they follow the A League approach then it is a cheaters/forwards charter. Players dive, then appeal for the decision and if the decision goes against them then that's it, absolutely no comeback. But if the defender gets the decision against them then they can get booked or red carded.

Retrospective bans for simulation have to introduced for this reason. Then the opportunist diving will hopefully eventually stop, creating a fairer situation and actually making the job easier for the officials.

This doesn't even take into account that the VAR decision is being made by the same official, so if they're not very good then absolute shockers of decisions continue to be made even after a VAR review. There has been pretty much a VAR shocker in every game I've seen so far. Pundit Mark Bosnich absolutely did his nut over 1 decision that was a blatant dive which got given as a penalty.

Maybe I`m old fashioned but why would you need VAR if players were honest?
Roofe could have just said "Yes ref, it hit my arm"....... but he didn`t. Win at all costs????

Roofe could have just said "Yes ref, it hit my arm"....... but he didn`t. Win at all costs????

Agree with the sentiment but is it that simple?

Imagine the defence has been kicking you away from the refs sight all game, chronic verbals from the opposition keeper about how s**t you are etc. etc,

The moral high ground is all well and good but sometimes the 'ha ha, f**k you!' is required.

There's an interview afterwards where he says something like "the ref and the assistants gave it, ball to arm ...". As there is no VAR then you have to take the ref's decision as they could go for you this time, but not the next.

Looking at the video though, there does seem to be him raising his arm as it misses the rest of his body, rather than it hitting him with arms doing nothing.

Shirt pulling & 'holding' opponents is absolutely rife too .... until the FA clearly instruct matchday referees to allow their assistant referees ( linesmen/women) to ASSIST them, instead of, as I'm led to believe, (and many decisions by clearly best positioned assistant referees are not, err, flagged up!!! - much to the annoyance of paying football supporters from EPL to National league, and beyond), as it stands currently referees are apparently able (?) to instruct their assistant referees, that all they want giving by them are for instance thrown ins, goal-kicks, corners and offsides (or similar 'restrictions'), the sooner, IMO, there will be a bit more consistency from matchday officials in all matches

VAR would be used as players do misjudge challenges, debatable offsides etc. I still don't want VAR though.

Last edited:
Whether he's one of our ex players or not, that's cheating, he celebrated straight away to convince the ref it was a legit goal. The high pressure game to get to the prem and the 10's millions available.

That's exactly what VAR is for. To stop bad decisions. With VAR that wouldn't have stood.
VAR of course is to stop clear errors occurring. The trouble is that 'experts ' in TV studios will argue over marginal decisions (which often they can't agree on) and say how awful VAR is. But it will stop bad decisions.

That's exactly what VAR is for. To stop bad decisions. With VAR that wouldn't have stood.
VAR of course is to stop clear errors occurring. The trouble is that 'experts ' in TV studios will argue over marginal decisions (which often they can't agree on) and say how awful VAR is. But it will stop bad decisions.

It hasn't stopped bad decisions in the A League as VAR has caused the bad decisions.

Players being honest? Its dog eat dog. Win at all costs?..........Absolutely. No prizes for coming second.

Back
Top Bottom