Kassam Stadium - Asset of Community Value

Also the way that things are going, the licence will simply be rolled over after the 25 years?
Does Tiger have any interest in the ground and did he meet Kassam?

I know it may look that way but I can assure you work is being done to ensure that we don't just roll over into a contract under the same terms. Tiger has met with Kassam and plans to meet with him again this week to discuss the stadium. The sale of the stadium has been discussed but if Kassam decides against selling then we hope a plan to renegotiate the licence so that OUFC would have control of revenue streams from the ground and would be in charge of all repairs and additions to the ground may be a viable alternative. This would put the shaping of our home back in our hands but of course it would be at the club's expense and it is worth remembering there is a lot of money to be spent just bringing the ground up to a reasonable standard.

I realise as a supporter that silence can be deafening but rest assured OxVox are not sitting idly by. We have a group working specifically on this issue and hopefully we will have more to do on that front in the coming weeks.

(As always when posting on my own account I give my own opinion as a supporter)

I know it may look that way but I can assure you work is being done to ensure that we don't just roll over into a contract under the same terms. Tiger has met with Kassam and plans to meet with him again this week to discuss the stadium. The sale of the stadium has been discussed but if Kassam decides against selling then we hope a plan to renegotiate the licence so that OUFC would have control of revenue streams from the ground and would be in charge of all repairs and additions to the ground may be a viable alternative. This would put the shaping of our home back in our hands but of course it would be at the club's expense and it is worth remembering there is a lot of money to be spent just bringing the ground up to a reasonable standard.

I realise as a supporter that silence can be deafening but rest assured OxVox are not sitting idly by. We have a group working specifically on this issue and hopefully we will have more to do on that front in the coming weeks.

(As always when posting on my own account I give my own opinion as a supporter)
Hi. Serious question. Can Kassam overturn the covenant if he gifts to OUFC a ground that is of L1 standard? For example, if he bought Court Place Farm, expanded it to 6k capacity etc., could he then apply to have the covenant declared null and void on the basis he had provided an adequate alternative ground? Thanks

Hi. Serious question. Can Kassam overturn the covenant if he gifts to OUFC a ground that is of L1 standard? For example, if he bought Court Place Farm, expanded it to 6k capacity etc., could he then apply to have the covenant declared null and void on the basis he had provided an adequate alternative ground? Thanks

Do you mean could he get around the licence in that way or the fact that the renewal was granted on the community asset?

I will look in a little more detail and get back to you if it's not the case but the simple answer to both is no. Both the licence and the community asset are specific to the stadium so he can't just build something somewhere else and move us in. Of course if the offer was good enough I suspect we would jump at having a new ground built for free but I just can't see that happening. The club could, if it chose to, stay at the Kassam on the same deal for many years to come. The key is to get the best deal we can now while options are still open to us.

Highly unlikely us and the city council are going to sell him the ground they own which for many reasons can never get to league 1 standards for many reasons. As nowhere else I very much doubt it.

Do you mean could he get around the licence in that way or the fact that the renewal was granted on the community asset?

I will look in a little more detail and get back to you if it's not the case but the simple answer to both is no. Both the licence and the community asset are specific to the stadium so he can't just build something somewhere else and move us in. Of course if the offer was good enough I suspect we would jump at having a new ground built for free but I just can't see that happening. The club could, if it chose to, stay at the Kassam on the same deal for many years to come. The key is to get the best deal we can now while options are still open to us.
Hi. That's useful. Thanks. I am not a lawyer but I have wondered whether the covenant could be wriggled out of in that instance....cheers

Back
Top Bottom