Manager/Coach Karl Robinson.

He’s certain improving us year on year, Have we got that extra strength and power that he said we needed to push us on to the next level, who knows, time will tell, I still think he should have gambled on a big powerful young centre forward, maybe the one who played for Oxford City who someone recently suggested (name escapes me), we seem a bit stale up too at times - So far it’s been frustrating this season as most of the games we’ve played, we’ve been all over teams but simply can’t finish them off - Let’s see how the next 10 games pan out…..

Silly Twitter rumour:

Robbo playing golf with Gary Neville tomorrow regarding Salford managerial position.

Almost certainly b*llocks with Robbos recent comments in media, but what if they doubled his wages, tempting?

Silly Twitter rumour:

Robbo playing golf with Gary Neville tomorrow regarding Salford managerial position.

Almost certainly b*llocks with Robbos recent comments in media, but what if they doubled his wages, tempting?
We can hope :ROFLMAO:

Silly Twitter rumour:

I would carry the bastard there myself if it stopped him fouling up our club.

Neville seems to have developed a trigger finger + would probs have less to spend. Unless our new overlords wanted their own man in + KR wanted to walk before being pushed (losing out on a pay-off?), don't see any motivation for it.

Silly Twitter rumour:

Then I would hope the EFL would look at their finances regarding FFP

Silly Twitter rumour:

I reckon he will ultimately walk rather than be sacked and could imagine something like this, though most likely not right now.

Antonio Conte is available.

On a serious note, I don’t think I’d be to bothered if he left. I’m getting rather bored of the same things coming out of him in interviews, and excuses! It’s got a Chris Wilder feel to it all for me, and how he stayed longer than he should. I think a new manager with fresh ideas, and a bit of experience in championship would be ideal.

Last edited:
So can I ask all these people that would happily see KR leave I appreciate he’s not everyone’s cup of tea he’s stubborn but who do you think will replace him I’m intrigued to find out

So can I ask all these people that would happily see KR leave I appreciate he’s not everyone’s cup of tea he’s stubborn but who do you think will replace him I’m intrigued to find out

That's for the board to do. A proper interview process and for the right person to adhere to what we do here. It's not for us as fans to decide although we can take guesses. Personally, I don't know who would make a decent option yet.

I'm not a vociferous 'KR out' supporter but I do think we may be seeing the very limit of what he can achieve as a manager. As I've said in other threads, he's a good manager but not a great one. We're in a better place now than when he arrived, we play some neat stuff, we've sold a number of players for seven figure sums, he's given plenty of youngsters a chance and his commitment to the cause cannot be questioned for a moment.

I just think he lacks an X-factor to take Oxford United up. This is his 11th season as a manager and one promotion is all he really has to show for his career thus far. Five playoff campaigns is commendable however it does rather show him as the bridesmaid and not the bride. I look over at Blackpool with Neil Critchley taking them up in one attempt and think that could be us with the right man at the helm.

League 1 is a tough ol' league to get out of. There's only two automatic places compared to the three from League 2 and the gamble of the playoffs for the third spot. I struggle to see us finishing in the top two places and sadly don't see us being the third team to go up this time around either. We have to be a harder side, a more tactically aware side and consistent side - we're a nice side under KR. 'Nice' doesn't win you titles nor bullies your way through tough playoffs. 7/10 is fine for consolidation yet we know our owners want more than that.

That's for the board to do. A proper interview process and for the right person to adhere to what we do here. It's not for us as fans to decide although we can take guesses. Personally, I don't know who would make a decent option yet.

I'm not a vociferous 'KR out' supporter but I do think we may be seeing the very limit of what he can achieve as a manager. As I've said in other threads, he's a good manager but not a great one. We're in a better place now than when he arrived, we play some neat stuff, we've sold a number of players for seven figure sums, he's given plenty of youngsters a chance and his commitment to the cause cannot be questioned for a moment.

I just think he lacks an X-factor to take Oxford United up. This is his 11th season as a manager and one promotion is all he really has to show for his career thus far. Five playoff campaigns is commendable however it does rather show him as the bridesmaid and not the bride. I look over at Blackpool with Neil Critchley taking them up in one attempt and think that could be us with the right man at the helm.

League 1 is a tough ol' league to get out of. There's only two automatic places compared to the three from League 2 and the gamble of the playoffs for the third spot. I struggle to see us finishing in the top two places and sadly don't see us being the third team to go up this time around either. We have to be a harder side, a more tactically aware side and consistent side - we're a nice side under KR. 'Nice' doesn't win you titles nor bullies your way through tough playoffs. 7/10 is fine for consolidation yet we know our owners want more than that.
I suspect that you may be right here. I haven't quite come round to this view 100% myself yet, but am getting there. I think alot of people may be swayed if we don;t have a successful season this year.

KR has my full support right now, and it's early days this season.

I suspect that you may be right here. I haven't quite come round to this view 100% myself yet, but am getting there. I think alot of people may be swayed if we don;t have a successful season this year.

KR has my full support right now, and it's early days this season.
If he doesn’t achieve promotion in the third consecutive year then people will ask “ has he got what is takes to take us to the next level “ and they may ask if he was good enough to do that.

My thing with KR at OUFC is that he's always expected to take us up to the Champ from the fans. I know we all desperately want to get to the Championship, but the quality in League 1 the last few years especially has been bonkers good, and the money spent by some other teams has been ridiculous, especially this year. I don't think we've once been in the top 6 in terms of spending, and most seasons not even the top 10. So relatively KR has overachieved as OUFC manager in that sense.

Where the underachievement may be seen is how good some of our players we've gotten on the cheap have been - Brannagan, Dickie, Moore, Taylor, Atkinson, Whyte, Sykes, Baptiste etc. But at the same time, if we didn't have KR in charge would we have signed half those players? And if we did would they have developed at the same rate and, in the case of Whyte, Baptiste, Dickie and Atkinson, brought us in several million?

I understand the frustration to the classic KR slow start, and I get his media appearances rub some people the wrong way - but calls for his head after two seasons getting us into the playoffs against the odds and being a big part on helping get OUFC comfortably through COVID because of the money made in player sales - for me it is WAY too premature.

The other crucial thing for me is I look around and I don't see another manager who I trust with this OUFC side that will guarantee us promotion. Any manager able to guarantee promotion on our budget and with our squad is not going to be available to a League 1 side. So the next best thing? Someone with a track record of playoff challenges working with a budget outside the top 6, who tries to play good football and promotes the use of young up and comers to make the club money in future sales? That manager is already in the building.

Back
Top Bottom