Manager/Coach Karl Robinson.

J
A mid-table, under-performing manager in charge of a very good collection of individual players. Wimbledon was a perfect example of his incompetence. Never mind “enjoying” the reaction of the home fans, KR, sort out your tactics to beat an average/poor beatable home team.
You clearly don't have a clue, are you really a U's fan?

As usual the knee jerk reaction after a defeat. I think it was 1 1 when there keeper made a great save from Williams and then Branagan shot narrowly wide.
Fine margins but this time we lost

As usual the knee jerk reaction after a defeat. I think it was 1 1 when there keeper made a great save from Williams and then Branagan shot narrowly wide.
Fine margins but this time we lost
Nothing wrong with criticism after a defeat as long as it's balanced.

I think what has annoyed people is the fact that we have conceded about five goals from set pieces/crosses in just two games, and for most of those we didn't even get close to preventing them.

This following on from last season, when KR himself knew this was a problem area that needed addressing, but he hasn't signed the players to do that.

Nothing wrong with criticism after a defeat as long as it's balanced.

I think what has annoyed people is the fact that we have conceded about five goals from set pieces/crosses in just two games, and for most of those we didn't even get close to preventing them.

This following on from last season, when KR himself knew this was a problem area that needed addressing, but he hasn't signed the players to do that.

Feels like a balanced criticism?

For what it's worth, I am hugely proud of the team of the under Karl's management. I think we play stylish attractive football for league one. We are a team who win games and have a real chance in the promotion race.

I feel that the players that have come in have made us stronger but are also consistent to our football brand under Robinson.

If Karl brought in dramatically different players would we lose that style of play I enjoy watching? and would that equal better results?

In recent years, I have honestly felt spoilt on occasion being an Oxford fan. When I read the moaners and groaners posts, I remind myself how bad it was and then smile.

Note: Losing on Saturday after being one up hurt like hell for four days

But isn't it possible to both enjoy some of the football we play (and to give the manager credit for that) while also noting a lop sided squad and various deficiencies (and to point them out as a managerial failures)? I certainly enjoy (for example) performances like the first half against Lincoln whilst despairing at our defensive weakness against Wimbledon, loving some of the wide play while wondering why we haven't really got a striker likely to get on the end of aerial crosses?

But isn't it possible to both enjoy some of the football we play (and to give the manager credit for that) while also noting a lop sided squad and various deficiencies (and to point them out as a managerial failures)? I certainly enjoy (for example) performances like the first half against Lincoln whilst despairing at our defensive weakness against Wimbledon, loving some of the wide play while wondering why we haven't really got a striker likely to get on the end of aerial crosses?
I'm a fan, I can go better than that.... I'll tell you who I think is waste of time but on the terraces.

I'd also tell you, if that same guy then put in six performances and scored 4 or 5 goals in that run I'd give the missus the good news straight after goal number 5 on the terrace.

Do I think Robinson has work to do.... Yes

Do I think that we getting better under Robinson.... Yes

Is every roll of the dice a seven..... No

Now pick a side and grab a weapon

I'm a fan, I can go better than that.... I'll tell you who I think is waste of time but on the terraces.

I'd also tell you, if that same guy then put in six performances and scored 4 or 5 goals in that run I'd give the missus the good news straight after goal number 5 on the terrace.

Do I think Robinson has work to do.... Yes

Do I think that we getting better under Robinson.... Yes

Is every roll of the dice a seven..... No

Now pick a side and grab a weapon
Can I be on you side?! 🤣🤣

I have absolutely no idea what any of that means and am not entirely sure that is a bad thing!

I think the shots at KR need to be put to bed. Im not a massive fan, I think there seems to be constant, consistent mistakes made in recruiting and building a balanced squad for a start, but they dont help. Hes not going anywhere and nor should he. His record over the last couple of seasons has earnt him safe passage this season. Unless something goes dratically wrong I dont think even the most pessimistic supporters see us in any real danger of relegation. Hopefully, we’ll be within touching distance of the top 6 in January, but that has to be a window he gets right. If, when the dust has settled at the end of the season, it looks like weve started to slide away, due to continued poor recruitment and stubborn tactics, then will be the time to ask questions.

I like Karl but something isn't working all the players are coming back a couple of good wins and we are off.

I think the shots at KR need to be put to bed. Im not a massive fan, I think there seems to be constant, consistent mistakes made in recruiting and building a balanced squad for a start, but they dont help. Hes not going anywhere and nor should he. His record over the last couple of seasons has earnt him safe passage this season. Unless something goes dratically wrong I dont think even the most pessimistic supporters see us in any real danger of relegation. Hopefully, we’ll be within touching distance of the top 6 in January, but that has to be a window he gets right. If, when the dust has settled at the end of the season, it looks like weve started to slide away, due to continued poor recruitment and stubborn tactics, then will be the time to ask questions.

Did you cut and paste this from this time last year?

Do I think Robinson has the ability to guide us to the playoffs whether it be this or next season?
Yes.

Do I think he can get us promoted through them?
Questionable, will never get a better chance than that Wycombe game.

If we got promoted do I think he'd keep us in the Championship?
Not a hope in hell, even with a good budget.

Genuinely interested to hear opinions on those questions.

Do I think Robinson has the ability to guide us to the playoffs whether it be this or next season?
Not this season. The league is very strong indeed and our squad has huge holes.

No. We have utterly blown it the last two times through showing too much respect, or unable to deal with physicality. That hasn't changed.

With his tactical inflexibility. No. It's a different world.

Yes.

Playoffs - agree yes.

Promotion - kind of agree. I think already Sunderland and Wigan will be hard to beat to the auto's but there are some very strong sides that will likely reach the playoffs. We'd have to be physically and mentally at our strongest, and I worry that we've come up short in all the big pressure games. Winnall, Williams and Thorniley all have experience of promotion and that could help.

Staying up. Almost impossible to know. Some good sides and good managers have come straight back down, and as our budget would be one of the smallest, the odds would be stacked against us. Strangely, Robinson wanting to play "proper" football could count in our favour but we'd have to put a much stronger spine through the team to survive.

Yes.

Can he get us into the playoffs? Yes, he has done it before (albeit unsuccessfully, obviously!) so no reason why not.

Do I think he can get us promoted through them? Possibly, it's a bit of a crap shoot, but unfortunately once we get there its been more crap than shooting so far!

Could he keep us in the Champ? No, I suspect not. I think his recruitment (and we'd have to recruit) is often a bit scattershot, and his team building rather muddled. Our record against the better teams in L1 last season is I think an indicator of how we'd do against the teams in the Championship.

Back
Top Bottom