Manager/Coach Karl Robinson.

Something is offensive when someone is offended. It's really that simple.
I’m not sure about this. Plenty of a certain type of person get offended when someone walks down the street wearing the clothing which is intrinsic to their culture/religion, but I don’t agree that it’s offensive, personally.

Just because someone thinks something is offensive doesn’t mean it is, just as because someone doesn’t think it is doesn’t necessarily mean it isn’t… he’s right on one thing, we have to have a general consensus in society before something can be properly said to be ‘offensive’ or acceptable. And that can change!

Something is offensive when someone is offended. It's really that simple.
Thanks for that wonderful insight @Scotchegg i now understand when something is offensive. But it really isn’t that simple.
Any and every insult is offensive normally to the person it’s aimed at. There is always someone ready to be offended by almost anything. So if just 1 person is offended by something it’s offensive. But that wasn’t the point.
I listen to a lot of hip hop especially a lot of UK rap and they sing some very offensive things about white people and even more offensive things about women. I‘m personally not offended by it but I’m sure many would be.
My point to the OP was that most people only react and condemn offensive actions or language when the collective agrees to react. Nobody moans about a whole stand singling out a person who is overweight and singing “you fat b………d!” Just as the Swansea fans singing about long hair and insinuating a person with long hair is from the traveler community is not widely considered offensive… yet. But obviously any travelers at the game will be offended. Our fans sing exactly the same thing whenever we play Wycombe and I’ve never seen anyone post on here about how offended they were by the song.
What is offensive to the masses changes with time and circumstances so it really isn’t that simple.

From today’s OM piece:

“I’m glad he’s started the way he has, because it asks questions of him and there’s no better Matty Taylor than when he’s being asked questions of,” Robinson said.

What utter nonsense.

Words fail me.

From today’s OM piece:

“I’m glad he’s started the way he has, because it asks questions of him and there’s no better Matty Taylor than when he’s being asked questions of,” Robinson said.

What utter nonsense.

Words fail me.
Fan to Matty: "Why aren't you scoring?"
Matty: "Good question"
Fan: "What's the answer?"
Matty: "I feel better"
Fan, scratching head: "Eh?"
Matty: "The gaffer told me he's glad so, I feel better"
Fan walks away, finds a wall, bashes head on wall.

From today’s OM piece:

What utter nonsense.

Words fail me.
He’s not scoring because of the team/setup/tactics you are applying, Mr Robinson. And er, we’re not glad.

From today’s OM piece:

What utter nonsense.

Words fail me.
It's complete drivel, as per.

When things are going well on the pitch I can take KRs rubbish. When they aren't I have to try to avoid what he says for the sake of my blood pressure!

I’m gutted by our start this season, by our end to last season and even a bit by our preseason. Seems like something is missing. KR is a nice bloke and very passionate about what he wants to achieve but does he have the ability. Not to coach the team! This he has proven. He always seems to get us playing.… eventually.
If I were Tiger I’d be asking questions as to WTF has been done with all my money. We look weaker than last season. All the talk is of big budgets, promotion and getting to the promised land but I can‘t see how our procrastination each season and slow starts is helping to achieve that.
I don’t think Tiger is ruthless enough to sack KR. I don’t think Eric will take over until the new stadium is fully agreed. I can’t see how we could survive in the championship even if we did go up, not with our stadium situation.
It feels like we’re too good to go down, not good enough to go up, not big / in a position to stay up even if we did.

I’m gutted by our start this season, by our end to last season and even a bit by our preseason. Seems like something is missing. KR is a nice bloke and very passionate about what he wants to achieve but does he have the ability. Not to coach the team! This he has proven. He always seems to get us playing.… eventually.
If I were Tiger I’d be asking questions as to WTF has been done with all my money. We look weaker than last season. All the talk is of big budgets, promotion and getting to the promised land but I can‘t see how our procrastination each season and slow starts is helping to achieve that.
I don’t think Tiger is ruthless enough to sack KR. I don’t think Eric will take over until the new stadium is fully agreed. I can’t see how we could survive in the championship even if we did go up, not with our stadium situation.
It feels like we’re too good to go down, not good enough to go up, not big / in a position to stay up even if we did.
Um...Tiger is out of the picture - he has no decision-making power at the club any more.

I happen to know what the Board's expectations of KR are by January and he'd better pull his finger out if he's still going to be here.

Um...Tiger is out of the picture - he has no decision-making power at the club any more.

I happen to know what the Board's expectations of KR are by January and he'd better pull his finger out if he's still going to be here.

Who would sack him should it come down to it? Bakrie or McWilliams?

Could be an interesting to start to 2023 should KR not improve his lot ...

Lose tonight and the dial will be heading towards Times up.

Who would sack him should it come down to it? Bakrie or McWilliams?

Could be an interesting to start to 2023 should KR not improve his lot ...
McWilliams isn't KR's boss - the board are so were it to come to it, the decision would be taken by a combination of Bakrie, Thorir (or Susie as his rep), Geicke and Winters as they have the majority shareholding between them and are making the decisions, or at least they were the last time I looked closely.

Friend of mine is a Charlton fan. He emailed me the other day about KR. His two big gripes with KR when he was Charlton manager ..1. Non stop gibberish, and 2. Refusal to change tactics when it obviously wasn't working, eg he insisted on playing one up front. Sounds familiar?

I like Karl as a coach and as a person and, for all his reputation of being stubborn I think generally in his time here he he’s been pretty receptive to fan criticism and willing to try new things tactically.

However

This all feels very different. Very “I know best”

The unwillingness to revert back to the 3 CBs system that worked last season and was popular with fans.

The refusal to sign a DMC to challenge/replace Gorrin.

The refusal to acknowledge the need for two new full-backs.

The frankly ridiculous assertion that we have been the better side in all games so far. Knocking on the door when 2-0 down at home to a winless side isn’t being better.

It feels like some initial confidence is now turning into some kind of siege mentality around his own abilities, and I worry that could really drive a wedge between him and the fans.

If we set up 4-3-3 again with Long and Seddon wide and McGuane DMC on Sat I can see us struggling against Morecambe, and it will be very hard to have any sympathy.

I like Karl as a coach and as a person and, for all his reputation of being stubborn I think generally in his time here he he’s been pretty receptive to fan criticism and willing to try new things tactically.

However

This all feels very different. Very “I know best”

The unwillingness to revert back to the 3 CBs system that worked last season and was popular with fans.

The refusal to sign a DMC to challenge/replace Gorrin.

The refusal to acknowledge the need for two new full-backs.

The frankly ridiculous assertion that we have been the better side in all games so far. Knocking on the door when 2-0 down at home to a winless side isn’t being better.

It feels like some initial confidence is now turning into some kind of siege mentality around his own abilities, and I worry that could really drive a wedge between him and the fans.

If we set up 4-3-3 again with Long and Seddon wide and McGuane DMC on Sat I can see us struggling against Morecambe, and it will be very hard to have any sympathy.
4-3-3 worked well last season and five at the back was just for a short spell. This season does feel different though, the midfield ain't right and we don't seem to have any pattern to our play.

I've read quite a few saying "We're only 4 games in"

Last season the top 6 in League One finished with 10 defeats or fewer. If the level is similar this season, Robinson now has to go on a run of 7 defeats in 42 games.

This is to achieve the budget provided from the board and the minimum expectations from the fanbase of playoffs. 3 defeats already, despite being early, have surely put huge pressure on him? The standards in this league are high, with the injuries we have and will probably continue to pickup throughout the season I'm struggling to see us losing just 7 of our next 42?

Plymouth finished 7th with 12 defeats

Quite the turnaround required already.

I've read quite a few saying "We're only 4 games in"

Last season the top 6 in League One finished with 10 defeats or fewer. If the level is similar this season, Robinson now has to go on a run of 7 defeats in 42 games.

This is to achieve the budget provided from the board and the minimum expectations from the fanbase of playoffs. 3 defeats already, despite being early, have surely put huge pressure on him? The standards in this league are high, with the injuries we have and will probably continue to pickup throughout the season I'm struggling to see us losing just 7 of our next 42?

Plymouth finished 7th with 12 defeats

Quite the turnaround required already.
It's not that black and white. Whilst taking your point, you have to factor in that last season's total to get into the play-offs was a freaky high. And you also have to consider season 2020/21 where we made the play-offs despite losing 16 games with Hull winning the Championship despite losing 11. Only Sunderland (with 9 defeats and finishing 4th) lost fewer than 10 games in the season.

Back
Top Bottom