Manager/Coach Karl Robinson.

Mad that within 6 months of joining chants of you’re getting sacked in the morning we’re bellowing around the Kassam, think it was Luton on a Tuesday night.
Would never have thought he would have still been here 3.5 years later doing such a fantastic job. Just shows what a bit of patience achieves.

I remember that Luton game well. Shameful behaviour from two, what I can only call, idiots not fans towards KR. They went up to him and just let out a volley of expletives. Robinson, to his credit, just stood there taking it while looking totally bemused. If that pair of tw*ts are still following Oxford I hope, in the 4 years since, they’ve had the decency to apologise to KR. Not often I’ve been ashamed to be an Oxford fan but that was one such occasion.

Top 10 rather than top 5 though I'd say
Arthur Turner, Jim Smith, Denis Smith , Wilder and MAPP have all taken us up.
Maurice Evans won us the Milk Cup.
I would have him after those and if we go up he would go above CW and MAPP.

Arthur Turner, Jim Smith, Denis Smith , Wilder and MAPP have all taken us up.
Maurice Evans won us the Milk Cup.
I would have him after those and if we go up he would go above CW and MAPP.
I'd throw in Brian Horton who kept us in the old Div 2 ( Championship) on basically nothing financially.
If KR gets us promoted then yes he definitely steps up a couple on the list.

Well done KR lovely guy good manager and we are lucky to have him. We have got a very tough finish to the season fingers crossed we make the play offs for financial and football reasons. We have got the core of a good squad whatever happens we keep building on that ,keep knocking on the door and I for one hope he's here for alot longer. I would rather continuity . And if We go up we have got to be do patient my local Stoke are having an average season and the coates family can't get it right with 10 billion behind them. Well done again Karl here's to next four years

Somewhat off-topic, but I’m pleased to see CW on people’s Top 5 and 10 lists.

People were understandably pained by the fashion in which he left (and the last few seasons when unfortunately things got stale and the money tap was being turned off) but overall he did a good job, got us promoted and established as us a professional, competitive football league club again.

Arguably our most important promotion too.

A really solid manager, and an excellent man. On the pitch he's done very well at OUFC, but off the pitch he has been exemplary - especially when it mattered most with Joey and Mickey passing. If we don't get the playoffs this year, or if we go up and struggle next year, I hope every OUFC fan backs him to hell and back because he deserves it.

I started following OUFC right as we began our freefall down the leagues - so in my lifetime KR is easily top 3 OUFC managers with MApp and Wilder. Get us up and he'll be clear at number 1.

Just over 12 of the last 13 years have seen Chris Wilder, Michael Appleton and Karl Robinson manage a total of 667 games with a win average of around 45%.

All have had the doubters, with many wanting MApp and Robbo sacked early doors and Wilder pissed many off towards the end. But collectively they have overseen the rebirth of our club from being very close to going out of business to the brink of the Championship.

All deserve huge credit, and a right up there alongside Jim and Denis Smith during my (nearly) 40 years of supporting the club. Its hard to rank them as the game has evolved so much and each faced very different situations, but each deserve recognition for what they've achieved.

Last edited:
He seems to of been here for ages.
Anyone know where he stands in that list of long serving managers?
I would imagine he is up there with the crazy managerial merry-go-round these days.

He seems to of been here for ages.
Anyone know where he stands in that list of long serving managers?
I would imagine he is up there with the crazy managerial merry-go-round these days.
I was surprised to find out that Brian Horton was here for five years - seemed a lot less.

There was a lot of disrespect for Horton when he left for Man City, not just from their fans but also tv pundits, he did a good job for us considering what he had to work with, Maxwell to start with.
He's got similarities with Karl - good attacking teams with a bit of a soft centre, generally well liked but persistently unpopular with some sections

He’s the best manager we have had for some time and his love for the club is obvious. Are there any better managers we could go for? I’m not so sure there are. I know we have mad the play offs twice already and it looks on the cards again. Hopefully we can make it third time lucky.
We have had some genuinely good times over the last four years. Two 6-0 wins away and a 7-2 at Gillingham with Cams super four goal penalties. Even if we don’t go up this year, Oxford have become a joy to watch. Why win 1-0 when you can win 4-3?

A lot of knee jerk reactions, when he came in and things weren’t going well to begin with. Myself included, and I think we’ve all been guilty of it at some point. Whether it’s KR or selections, or poor performances, and transfer business.

That’s my only criticism of KR. At times I wish he’d stay quiet, and just get the signings in as and when they happen. Rather than every window, “We want to get business done early”. I hope that he addresses the defensive side of the squad in the summer, because that is what’s lacking. We will need to be very active, and recruit well, to potentially replace some quality players.

Certain players could be off if we don’t go up this season. Sykes,Brannagan, and Stevens I’m sure will attract interest. Herbie Kane will be going back to Barnsley. So KR will need to either convince them to sign a new contract, or stay on one more season.

He might get a big amount to spend, if Dickie goes from QPR too. We will see what happens, but for me KR has done ok, and hope he continues to keep up the good work.

I would say regardless of whether we make playoffs or not this has been a good season
Normally 74 points would get you there and we will get 74 but might need 78/9 this season
When you realise we are competing with some big clubs with better resources and finances this is some achievement
I will admit I wasn’t sure about KR at first but he has won me over with what he does off the pitch more than what happens on it
He seems more balanced in after match interviews as well
My only critisism is his obsession with wingers and not enough cover in defence and not replacing Gorrin which I feel might cost us at the end of the day
Our attractive style of play is bringing the crowds back and that is so refreshing
I have a feeling that our owners see next season as the one where we really go for it if we don’t sneak up this year

Back
Top Bottom