Manager/Coach Karl Robinson

I'd imagine, given that WhatsApp is a mobile phone based messaging service, that if you send a good old fashioned txt to the phone number, it would get picked up.

I'd imagine, given that WhatsApp is a mobile phone based messaging service, that if you send a good old fashioned txt to the phone number, it would get picked up.
It would, but the club are asking for video messages.

Yeah, probably not such a good idea!

Maybe see if you can do something on cine-film and get the club to play it on a big projector!!
now theres a thought- I think me dad has got an old Super 8 cine camera n set up somewhere :unsure:

KR mentioned, for the second Preview Show in succession, that the football club is going through a tough time off the field.

The first time he said it, I presumed that it was a comment relating to the nonsense with Crewe. Not convinced in that now.

Does anyone know what he’s referring to?

KR mentioned, for the second Preview Show in succession, that the football club is going through a tough time off the field.

The first time he said it, I presumed that it was a comment relating to the nonsense with Crewe. Not convinced in that now.

Does anyone know what he’s referring to?
Covid.
6 players with pregnant partners, plus others as fathers and all the anxiety that comes with that.
Injuries.
Players adapting to the new world of testing, travelling separately, changing in crappy rooms, not having the bonding stop overs before/after matches.
Whether this season will actually finish.
Uncertainty about their future's beyond this season.
Uncertainty about the future of lower league football full stop.

Lots of issues that make results on the pitch secondary for many, but have absolutely nothing to do with the ownership of the club, payments, cold showers, missing lawn mowers or any other rumour that circulated a year or so ago.

Surely that’s the same thing for every club and its players, at least generally? It’s the same for all is us, in fact.

Odd choice of words

Just seen Robbo’s interview and whilst you have to admire his positivity about embracing the challenge of being in a bad place, I can’t help but be worried about his apparent self delusion that he ‘feels aggrieved’ that they haven’t got what we deserved’. Bottom line is always the score and the reason we haven’t got the points is because the players, his players aren’t good enough for the tactics he’s employing. Would like him to acknowledge that rather than keeping on doing the same things. I fundamentally disagree with this idea that you have to keep the same approach even when things aren’t working. Would like to see less tippy tappy no end product with just Taylor normally in the box instead more flooding the box and high press, high intensity, forcing opposition into errors. Yes you need to be fit but those tactics turn average players into very good players. Anyone who disagrees please watch Leeds United.

More pressure, or some much needed show of support?

If this visual display of support is so important, why not get these 50-100 fans to meet up far away from the training ground with your banners and flares, film it and send it on to the club.

That way you are respecting the wishes of the club and not putting anyone at risk.
Similar to the support/help/videos prior to the Play Off final you mean?

Covid.
6 players with pregnant partners, plus others as fathers and all the anxiety that comes with that.
Injuries.
Players adapting to the new world of testing, travelling separately, changing in crappy rooms, not having the bonding stop overs before/after matches.
Whether this season will actually finish.
Uncertainty about their future's beyond this season.
Uncertainty about the future of lower league football full stop.

Lots of issues that make results on the pitch secondary for many, but have absolutely nothing to do with the ownership of the club, payments, cold showers, missing lawn mowers or any other rumour that circulated a year or so ago.
So the same as every other club then, and probably worse at others with more financial uncertainty I’d guess.

Seriously Sarge get a smart phone. I resisted for a few years with similar luddite fears but I discovered when I got one that they are really easy and incredibly useful. You can take photos come on here watch telly do practically anything but also can ignore. You wont regret it I promise.

Maybe the idea of reaching out to the club is a bad one with so many depressing voices on here!!! Christ, an idea was muted about offering Karl and the players a little support, the club have listened and opened up an avenue for this to happen and we've got Sarge moaning about not being able to get through on his etch-a-sketch and Uptheus upset because he can't get his pyros out and charge through the training grounds cold showers with 300 yellow spartans!! And we haven't even got round to Kip and Mellow pissing on the parade!!!

Would it really kill a few of you to find a scrap of positivity and try and pass that on to the club in the modern wizardary forum of a video message? Maybe just a quick "come on you yellows" from a half smiling face?! No one's asking for the next Timmy Mallett or our own version of the topless lunatic from Pompey, but surely a short trip on the positive bus * isn't too much to ask is it?

*Oxford United masks are mandatory!!

Got thinking today about our current predicament and there is no doubt in my mind that we are mentally shot. This team is much better than bottom...but right now there is no confidence, no belief and no energy. I can only put it down to covid and it seems that football is just not a priority for OUFC and the players employed

Got thinking today about our current predicament and there is no doubt in my mind that we are mentally shot. This team is much better than bottom...but right now there is no confidence, no belief and no energy. I can only put it down to covid and it seems that football is just not a priority for OUFC and the players employed
I think losing the play off final is having a bigger effect.

I think we are seeing that this team and Karl need fans in stadiums. In games we have struggled in this season I think the fans could of got the players going at times. Usually if we respond and up the tempo of our play when the crowd get up and start encouraging the team forward.
Yes we have lost a lot of the games but IMO they have been very lack lustre performances and we haven’t found that extra gear that you sometimes need to get back in the game.

Without fans you have seen throughout the football pyramid that players who thrive of a crowd struggle where as players who might go into their shell with the pressure of a crowd actually do better than usual.

Unfortunately we have a team of talented players who need a crowd to perform.

I think we are seeing that this team and Karl need fans in stadiums. In games we have struggled in this season I think the fans could of got the players going at times. Usually if we respond and up the tempo of our play when the crowd get up and start encouraging the team forward.
Yes we have lost a lot of the games but IMO they have been very lack lustre performances and we haven’t found that extra gear that you sometimes need to get back in the game.

Without fans you have seen throughout the football pyramid that players who thrive of a crowd struggle where as players who might go into their shell with the pressure of a crowd actually do better than usual.

Not sure I buy that. Our players are not necessarily special. This isn't exactly a golden generation of Oxford players (I'm thinking Roofe, Lundstram, Baldock levels of talent).

Looking at league tables across the pyramid there are no big surprises. So it would be odd if only Oxford were afflicted by the "talented players who need a crowd to perform" disease.

I think the likely explanation is that the manager has failed to build a balanced squad. He's also far too stubborn and rigid in his approach and fails to try new ideas. Add to that the fact that morale is already low because of the playoff failure and we're bottom.

Can't say we don't deserve to be there, either.

Its the same for all teams though.
All teams have some talented players at our level and believe me, we are nothing special this season with the exception of 3/4 players. The main problems are,
We have an imbalanced squad mainly because of poor recruitment.
Losing the play offs.
A manager who is stubborn. This happens early every season until he wakes up and realises what is really needed to improve us. We don't have the luxury or room within the squad now with restrictions as we have in the past.
And to a lesser extent injuries but that shouldn't be an excuse if you recruit properly. Playing Sam Long anywhere along the back four as cover is ludicrous!! The lad was on the bench every week this time last year.

Its the same for all teams though.
All teams have some talented players at our level and believe me, we are nothing special this season with the exception of 3/4 players. The main problems are,
We have an imbalanced squad mainly because of poor recruitment.
Losing the play offs.
A manager who is stubborn. This happens early every season until he wakes up and realises what is really needed to improve us. We don't have the luxury or room within the squad now with restrictions as we have in the past.
And to a lesser extent injuries but that shouldn't be an excuse if you recruit properly. Playing Sam Long anywhere along the back four as cover is ludicrous!! The lad was on the bench every week this time last year.
I have to take issue with your final sentence. Sam Long has, in my opinion, been our most consistent player this season by some distance and was definitely the strongest member of the back four against Fleetwood. Whether he was on the bench last year or not is irrelevant. It's possible he's improved as a player in the past 12 months!

I have to take issue with your final sentence. Sam Long has, in my opinion, been our most consistent player this season by some distance and was definitely the strongest member of the back four against Fleetwood. Whether he was on the bench last year or not is irrelevant. It's possible he's improved as a player in the past 12 months!
Completely agree. Of all the players to single out for criticism, Sam Long has probably been the one who deserves it the least. Alongside Forde, the two have stood up to the challenge and rarely let us down.

Back
Top Bottom