Manager/Coach Karl Robinson

You literally complain about everything that the club does that involves technology. It's getting tiring.
its getting equally tiring that 'the club' doesn't seem to grasp that ( at a guess) well over a third, if not more, of their home support is over a certain age , and either not up to date with certain elements of technology, or in quite a number of instances not using any form of electronic technology ( example- my 86 year old Dad has no mobile phone, no internet none of that... yet hes a season ticket holder, has been since HUFC days ) .... I think it does need pointing out that not everyone has access to various electronic set ups each and

Presumably you'd prefer that the club exclude a large group of their supporters, including those whove paid for STs this season, from being included in all things to do with OUFC then @Kamal ? Nice .... one day even you will fall behind on tech' advancements, mark my words

of course its a good thing the club have invited supportive comments from some of the fanbase for the game on saturday- its just a shame (IMO) that its not involving all or at least most of the fanbase :(

Last edited:
Come on @Sarge even I`ve got Whatsapp.
Don`t know how I blame the relatives one of them invited me or summat. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
think my kids may have it... possibly a couple of me grandkids too

now if they asked for text messages or emails , I can manage them ;)

think my kids may have it... possibly a couple of me grandkids too

now if they asked for text messages or emails , I can manage them ;)
Whatsapp is just another form of sending those texts Sarge and making calls Gratis btw...only takes a minute or so to put on your phone and all your contacts from your phone that use it will appear also..

Whatsapp is just another form of sending those texts Sarge and making calls Gratis btw...only takes a minute or so to put on your phone and all your contacts from your phone that use it will appear also..
my phone is old n basic - bit like me ;)- it has not access to the internet

All i need it for is taking n making calls and sending and receiving text (SMS) messages
Whatsapp is incompatible with my mobile phone

@Sarge , I get that this doesn't work for everyone but, with only a few days before our biggest league game in a few years, it's great that the club are looking to do something. It was mentioned that Robinson seems a bit down and missing the interaction with the fans, and this is a small step towards making that happen. Get the kids onboard and get your voice heard!

@Sarge , I get that this doesn't work for everyone but, with only a few days before our biggest league game in a few years, it's great that the club are looking to do something. It was mentioned that Robinson seems a bit down and missing the interaction with the fans, and this is a small step towards making that happen. Get the kids onboard and get your voice heard!
I agree its great the club are interacting with, and inviting some fans to participate- but think its a shame that some of a certain age / lack of tech savviness are excluded ... why not invite emails/ text messages maybe, and cover most fans, instead of just some ?

I agree its great the club are interacting with, and inviting some fans to participate- but think its a shame that some of a certain age / lack of tech savviness are excluded ... why not invite emails/ text messages maybe, and cover most fans, instead of just some ?
Email Chris Williams, I'm sure he'll pass on your message.

its getting equally tiring that 'the club' doesn't seem to grasp that ( at a guess) well over a third, if not more, of their home support is over a certain age , and either not up to date with certain elements of technology, or in quite a number of instances not using any form of electronic technology ( example- my 86 year old Dad has no mobile phone, no internet none of that... yet hes a season ticket holder, has been since HUFC days ) .... I think it does need pointing out that not everyone has access to various electronic set ups each and

Presumably you'd prefer that the club exclude a large group of their supporters, including those whove paid for STs this season, from being included in all things to do with OUFC then @Kamal ? Nice .... one day even you will fall behind on tech' advancements, mark my words

of course its a good thing the club have invited supportive comments from some of the fanbase for the game on saturday- its just a shame (IMO) that its not involving all or at least most of the fanbase :(

I would probably say that the vast majority of our fan base either use/have access to the technology that the club is asking them to use. At the very least they will most likely have a relative, child or grandchild who could help them set it up or do it on their behalf.

However as you mentioned their might be some cases where people don't have access however I genuinely believe that in 2020 that it will probably be 10% of the fan base. Maybe even less. It might seem tough on that 10% but it covers 90% of the fanbase very well.

Also in an age of Covid, sending a message via WhatsApp (which is one of the most popular communication methods in the world) makes complete sense.

I'm genuinely interested to see what you would do different here. I saw your response to Scotchegg saying the club should send out emails/text messages. If you're capable of using email/text messages you're capable to use What'sApp. Let's not forget as well that the club is asking for videos. Not messages. So using WhatsApp to send videos is way easier than using email or a text message to send a video.

Also I highly doubt I will fall behind in tech advancements. It's my hobby, my education and my profession.

I would probably say that the vast majority of our fan base either use/have access to the technology that the club is asking them to use. At the very least they will most likely have a relative, child or grandchild who could help them set it up or do it on their behalf.

However as you mentioned their might be some cases where people don't have access however I genuinely believe that in 2020 that it will probably be 10% of the fan base. Maybe even less. It might seem tough on that 10% but it covers 90% of the fanbase very well.

Also in an age of Covid, sending a message via WhatsApp (which is one of the most popular communication methods in the world) makes complete sense.

I'm genuinely interested to see what you would do different here. I saw your response to Scotchegg saying the club should send out emails/text messages. If you're capable of using email/text messages you're capable to use What'sApp. Let's not forget as well that the club is asking for videos. Not messages. So using WhatsApp to send videos is way easier than using email or a text message to send a video.

Also I highly doubt I will fall behind in tech advancements. It's my hobby, my education and my profession.
fair enough ;) ...... TBH I cant be arsed, (so to speak), with all the different ways of communicating- seem to change every few weeks as to which one is popular... but thats me ... a bit wary of techy things

If there's a way to set up this whatsapp thing easily- on a laptop- as its your profession & hobby, a bit of advice via DM would be appreciated. I am genuinely really not very technology minded so if you can help, please bear that in mind

Last edited:
fair enough ;) ...... TBH I cant be arsed, (so to speak), with all the different ways of communicating- seem to change every few weeks as to which one is popular... but thats me ... a bit wary of techy things

If there's a way to set up this whatsapp thing easily- on a laptop- as its your profession & hobby, a bit of advice via DM would be appreciated. I am genuinely really not very technology minded so if you can help, please bear that in mind

You can get on your laptop but it won't work unless you also have it on your phone and your phone is switched on.

You can get on your laptop but it won't work unless you also have it on your phone and your phone is switched on.
take it you mean smartphone by 'phone' ? my phone out of choice , is a basic take n make calls/ texts phone - and that's about it

WhatsApp is a messaging service through (modern!) mobile phones. I appreciate that the current climate is madness, but why not get the grandchildren together (if safe to do so) and record you and your dad doing a message? They'll probably love the opportunity to teach you oldies a thing or two and it shows how Oxford United is one big family.

WhatsApp is a messaging service through (modern!) mobile phones. I appreciate that the current climate is madness, but why not get the grandchildren together (if safe to do so) and record you and your dad doing a message? They'll probably love the opportunity to teach you oldies a thing or two and it shows how Oxford United is one big family.
bit of a way to Northern Ireland **.... and also Poland ( Lodz)* atm ... which is where me two sets of grandkids are

* visiting relatives

**living

maybe if my youngest lad isn't still up in Nottingham working he can help? though I think he's up there till a week tomorrow ?

No way is a third of our fan base technologically illiterate and I'd guess a lot of those that are, are so out of choice.
Correct - even my 74 year old father who can't actually send a text message is able to keep up with all he needs re OUFC to via T'Internet. If he can do it, then quite frankly 99% of the population can. Those who can't are likely choosing not to, fair enough but don't expect everyone else to hold themselves back or provide universal options for a very small % that as a consequence I'm afraid will be less included.

Yes like a previous poster said you can access What'sApp via a laptop but would need the smartphone application first to register with your mobile SIM card.

Also the club wants videos, not messages. So you would also have to film your video on your laptop which is harder than doing it on a smartphone.

bit of a way to Northern Ireland **.... and also Poland ( Lodz)* atm ... which is where me two sets of grandkids are

* visiting relatives

**living

maybe if my youngest lad isn't still up in Nottingham working he can help? though I think he's up there till a week tomorrow ?

Ask them to do it on your behalf.

As perhaps the most prolific poster on this ONLINE forum, I find it amazing that you are so anti-TECH :)

* visiting relatives

**living

Yeah, probably not such a good idea!

Maybe see if you can do something on cine-film and get the club to play it on a big projector!!

Back
Top Bottom