Manager/Coach Karl Robinson - Will he walk

Yellows1

Genuine question, he sounded totally fed up yesterday and if he isn’t backed then who can blame him, I think people forget we’re not in the conference or league 2 anymore, he does need to be backed, we have the best chance in years to get promoted, discuss.

I think he sounded frustrated but also seemed to want to make it clear that despite not being happy he stil has faith in the board and the team. So do I.

I thought it was incredibly impressive how open he was - it's been a very long time since we've had a manager who is that committed to fronting up to that sort of shitty news. Massive respect to him.

The board need to back him, else others might well come knocking!

If he had any thoughts along the lines of quitting, would he have bothered turning up, pretty much out of the blue, to front up the fans forum yesterday?
He may engage mouth before brain once in a while but, he does come across as honest and displays integrity. He's got a good contract, lives local(ish) and his family seem happy.
Is he upset at losing two players he has time for? Of course, as much as we are but, that's how it is.

He won't leave. If he was going to do that, he would have done so last season. Credit to him, a lot of managers would have left with less than he has had to deal with.

If he had any thoughts along the lines of quitting, would he have bothered turning up, pretty much out of the blue, to front up the fans forum yesterday?
He may engage mouth before brain once in a while but, he does come across as honest and displays integrity. He's got a good contract, lives local(ish) and his family seem happy.
Is he upset at losing two players he has time for? Of course, as much as we are but, that's how it is.
Well said. Will he walk? No.

Genuine question, he sounded totally fed up yesterday and if he isn’t backed then who can blame him, I think people forget we’re not in the conference or league 2 anymore, he does need to be backed, we have the best chance in years to get promoted, discuss.
The timing may not be ideal but this is the business model. The current board and chairman have said for nearly two years that they aim to make us a sustainable club. We currently lose approx £2 million per year - based on last accounts from 2017/2018 and general assumption is that overheads have gone up since then. We get EFL revenue, revenue from cup competitions, any tv fees and prize money associated with that and gate receipts from home league matches and our approx. 40% cut of gate money from cup matches.

We don't get anything from the stadium in terms of match day revenue outside of ticket and box entry money so we subsidize everything with player sales (Roofe, O'Dowda, Ledson, Whyte, Aldridge, Houghton, Magilton, Beauchamp, Les Taylor, Keith Cassells, how far back do you want to go?!).

We use the loan market to pay a percentage of wages for players who would otherwise be outside of our budget. Alternative strategies would otherwise be to get average Lg 1 / Lg 2 players on average money for either of the two divisions (think the teams we had under Atkins, Talbot or under Wilder for 2010/11 and 11/12) or to do what Bury did in 2017/2018 and 2018/2019 and sign players on far more money than we can afford and potentially bankrupt the club. Those are the two ends of the spectrum and there will be shades of grey within those.

Lastly, regardless of any other players coming in - and I have a feeling with no inside knowledge that we'll sign at least one before 23:00 today - we have let three players go in this window (Hall, Baptiste and Fosu) and replaced them with three like for like players (Kelly, Brown and Holland). Brown and Holland are an upgrade on a Hall looking to regain fitness and Fosu if you look at his form since approx end of November. We haven't seen Kelly yet, and he'll go some to replicate some of Shandon's performances (West Ham, Man City, Lincoln and Hartlepool) but he's played 82 times in the Championship between 2016 - 2019 and joined Feyenoord so he's hardly an untried dud. In many ways - if we're going to be a selling club, we've done it the right way by signing replacements prior to our "assets" being sold.

EDIT - I was writing this in a hurry whilst at work and had the hump so I've edited to remove the first line that was having a dig at the OP. I hate reading things like that so have removed, but the actual points I haven't changed. TFI Friday and all of that :)

Last edited:
I was concerned to hear him say he might be off if another player goes.

Back
Top Bottom